Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

9 minutes ago, Phil B said:

To be honest, in my ESL ears "please leave pos. feedback" sounds like a demand. And followed by "and I will do the same for you" makes it more so. I can totally see how this gets read as "You must leave positive feedback, or else ...". I'd recommend you change it to "I see the item(s) have arrived. If you are satisfied with your purchase, please rate us using Ebay feedback. If there is anything less than satisfactory, please contact us before leaving feedback".

Plus ... I never make my feedback dependent on the buyer's behavior. I submit positive feedback as soon as the payment is made and I ship the item. If they turn out to be douchebags, I'll just block them after the one sale.

+1 on the edit, but it would eat me alive from the inside to have left positive feedback for some lame scam artist.

In my mind the buyer has NOT fulfilled all requirements for positive feedback until they graciously accept the item they bought OR handle a complaint / issue reasonably. Getting their feedback first is the closest reasonable guarantee of that, so until eBay balances out the scale a bit, that's how I roll.

Initial payment is so easily reversed, it's not much of an obligation at all, really.

Besides, common sense dictates a natural back-and-forth process: Buyer pays (" I want this"), Seller ships ("Cool, here you go"), buyer receives and leaves feedback ("Thanks I'm good"), seller reciprocates ("Great me too").

• Like 9

Regarding the reporting of users for listing errors.

Hopefully, people are being discerning when reporting. We shouldn't be looking to hurt good sellers for making honest mistakes.

Also, keep in mind that ebay sometimes suggests that these "wrong" changes be made, and can even change listing details on their own (during relists, etc).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KShine said:

Regarding the reporting of users for listing errors.

Hopefully, people are being discerning when reporting. We shouldn't be looking to hurt good sellers for making honest mistakes.

Also, keep in mind that ebay sometimes suggests that these "wrong" changes be made, and can even change listing details on their own (during relists, etc).

I'm not reporting listing errors for genuine lego.  Only those trying to pass 'Lepin' and other Chinese knock off sets off as Lego such as

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=161961287324&alt=web 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Deanfjr said:

That's what I told him, that we don't have to leave feedback I just thought with my 800+ and his 400+ we wouldn't have had any probs.

Yeah I really don't understand some people, that's why I never leave feedback unless they left feedback for me. I'm not holding theirs hostage by any means I just don't trust people and always try to have my @ss covered incase they wanted to be d!cks for no reason.

Edited by California92563
  • Like 1

My feedback life:

Anything under £10 I immediately leave positive feedback for the buyer and post non signed for.

Anything over £10 I post signed for and wait until they've left me positive feedback before giving them positive feedback.

Obviously the above can slightly change if people are regular trusted buyers or on the other hand seem to have a dodgy profile etc.

I'm quite happy to let people choose to leave no feedback for me at all. The only feedback I'd ever worry about is receiving the negative kind. Also, some buyers don't use Ebay every day so sometimes realise a month later that they forgot to leave positive feedback and I get a nice unexpected bit of positivity pop up. I have never seen a need to contact someone requesting that they leave positive feedback for me. Is one more positive feedback rating actually worth risking someone taking a request the wrong way? I think not personally.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Deanfjr said:

After I see my shipment arrives at the buyers shipping address I always send this "confirmation email"

I see the item(s) have arrived, please leave pos. feedback, and I will do the same for you.
Thanks again!

He replies with:

Interesting. Are you threatening me that you will not leave positive feedback on me unless I do the same. I have fulfilled all my commitments and expect the proper feedback. Please do so and then I will leave my feedback.

I didn't threaten anything, It is more to make sure they received the item(s) and they are not going to pull any funny business, and that they are happy, until I know that I don't like to leave pos. feedback with eBay turning into scam city the past few years.  :beerhat:

I also do what you do. I send an e-mail confirming that the package has been delivered and ask for positive feedback and a 5 star rating. Sometimes people are cool and respond right away and some don't at all.......which I don't understand. eBay needs to implement an automatic feedback rating system. If a seller or buyer doesn't leave any feedback a month after the transaction has taken place, an automatic positive feedback is posted. My feedback score is so much lower than it should be. It would be nice to not miss any feedback since the transactions went through and there weren't any problems. I wonder why eBay hasn't thought of this before. Will the servers explode or something?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Seriously guys, after a certain point, no feedback = good feedback

14 minutes ago, legodelorean said:

I also do what you do. I send an e-mail confirming that the package has been delivered and ask for positive feedback and a 5 star rating. Sometimes people are cool and respond right away and some don't at all.......which I don't understand. eBay needs to implement an automatic feedback rating system. If a seller or buyer doesn't leave any feedback a month after the transaction has taken place, an automatic positive feedback is posted. My feedback score is so much lower than it should be. It would be nice to not miss any feedback since the transactions went through and there weren't any problems. I wonder why eBay hasn't thought of this before. Will the servers explode or something?

Darth Raichu is on point.  You only need feeding if you are starting out and trying to build it (or going for a record?).  No feedback is good feedback.

As a seller, I get between 25-40% of feedback from buyers and that drops down to 0 for guest accounts (rough estimate of 33% so far this year).  I leave feedback in batches to everyone, with form replies, unless you make a weird request or message in which case that buyer has to wait.

I am much more particular about leaving feedback as a buyer.  If something is noticeably off, BUT I am still "content" then I will not leave feedback but if the seller then asks about it and something is off, you can expect low values from me.  If there is a problem with the item (missing, damage, etc) and the seller makes an attempt to fix it, then I am much more likely to leave 5 star feedback, even with the problem because I appreciate the effort.  Of course, if you package items correctly or expertly, then you get great feedback from me.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Phil B said:

Plus ... I never make my feedback dependent on the buyer's behavior. I submit positive feedback as soon as the payment is made and I ship the item. If they turn out to be douchebags, I'll just block them after the one sale.

Same here. I'm kind of surprised how many people, as sellers, play the waiting game with the buyers. "You first, no you first." For all we know, buyers are perfectly happy but are holding out to receive their positive feedback. I've been fortunate to have only a couple fruitcakes after already leaving positive feedback, but I'm fairly certain we can at least leave a feedback "follow up" reply for those that read up on the comments.
http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ReviewFeedbackLeft

• Like 1

In my mind the buyer has NOT fulfilled all requirements for positive feedback until they graciously accept the item they bought OR handle a complaint / issue reasonably. Getting their feedback first is the closest reasonable guarantee of that, so until eBay balances out the scale a bit, that's how I roll.

Initial payment is so easily reversed, it's not much of an obligation at all, really.

Besides, common sense dictates a natural back-and-forth process: Buyer pays (" I want this"), Seller ships ("Cool, here you go"), buyer receives and leaves feedback ("Thanks I'm good"), seller reciprocates ("Great me too").

This. Absolutely. Agree 100%...

• Like 2

I guess I agree with Grynn as far as feedback goes, but honestly I don't pay much attention to it. I most assuredly don't ask for it in any way, in my experience that only leads to problems (like the one that started this whole conversation off). It is already easy enough for buyers on eBay to make our lives miserable, they don't need it to be made any simpler with some sort of automatic feedback system. 

• Like 1

Sometimes when things don't go well with a transaction (due to a seller being new, or while having good intentions, shows poor judgment), I feel it is much more reasonable to not leave a feedback, than it would be to leave a negative or neutral (and damage their reputation).

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, dcdfan said:

Because we live in a Facegram Instabook "look at me" world...

I agree with you.  I couldn't care less about whether I get feedback or not.  Perhaps the main reason is probably b/c I have almost 3K but even if I didn't, I would not put much thought into it.  My priority is getting my buyers what they paid for packaged professionally and in a timely manner.  Feedback doesn't earn me any more profit.  

I have never asked a buyer to leave feedback b/c I always heard early in my selling career that asking for it might get you feedback you were not looking for.  Since it is completely voluntary, I don't want to be asked as a buyer or seller to leave feedback.  If I get the urge to, then I do, but otherwise I don't think about it.  Just my two cents.

• Like 3

I think people have had better luck with Listing Practices > Search and browse manipulation > Listing in an incorrect category.  This assumes they have the item listed under the Lego category though.

This is what I report the "custom" lego. A lot are jot counterfit, but the WW2 type packs, but can't list them in Lego, they are not Lego

Looks like someone actually fell for this one =(

I reported it, but they didn't take it down:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lego-Star-Wars-Minifigure-lot-Palpatines-Arrest-Sith-Interceptor-Clone-Army-80-/301869158934?hash=item4648cdd216%3Ag%3AuxAAAOSwx-9WunBo&nma=true&si=SuLxew3ZCMoPJHXYGI3L8aUd5VI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I considered it incredibly deceiving. It's not until one of the last lines of the description that the seller says:

"Note, the figures in the army, and the four baseplates are high quality customs (except for the three clone commanders and 13 other clones) and are therefore not made by lego. "

Such scum. I hope he gets terrible feedback and/or some sort of reprimand.

8 hours ago, lodibricks said:

Same here. I'm kind of surprised how many people, as sellers, play the waiting game with the buyers. "You first, no you first." For all we know, buyers are perfectly happy but are holding out to receive their positive feedback. I've been fortunate to have only a couple fruitcakes after already leaving positive feedback, but I'm fairly certain we can at least leave a feedback "follow up" reply for those that read up on the comments.
http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ReviewFeedbackLeft

Yes, you can reply to feedback, and they can reply to that, and you can continue the thread-convo.

Edited by daurgo2001

The fruitcake today was me. A fellow bought a loose Hulk Buster suit from me today at 1PM. I noticed he lived 7 blocks away. I hand delivered his LEGO at 1:45PM. Needless to say, his mind was blown.This is the second time I've been able to hand deliver an EBay shipment same day and I get a real kick out of it.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, randrace said:

The fruitcake today was me. A fellow bought a loose Hulk Buster suit from me today at 1PM. I noticed he lived 7 blocks away. I hand delivered his LEGO at 1:45PM. Needless to say, his mind was blown.This is the second time I've been able to hand deliver an EBay shipment same day and I get a real kick out of it.

At 2:15 he filed INR, at 3:45 Paypal sided with him and refunded the buyer.

(It is fun to pull off local same-day delivery. But don't do it for an xBox.)

Edited by zak001
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, minicoopers11 said:

I did local same-day delivery once. Buyer complained. Never doing again, even if next door.

That's ridiculous. I'd be stoked (not a word I use often, but seems oddly ideal in this situation), to know I had a fellow AFOL and a seller in the neighborhood...