Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

Thanks for the helps, guys.  Another one today.  Message from a buyer: 

" Was this a newly sealed item? Was missing a piece. "

I want to reply with:

"No - it was actually used.  I cleaned all the pieces individually to make them appear to be right off the factory line.  I then counted each individual piece and placed them in their correct individual numbered bags and resealed them, exactly how its done in the factory.  I sucked out any dust or particles when I sealed the bags.  In addition, we purchased new instruction booklets without creases or wear.  I had those hand delivered to me so they wouldn't get damaged in shipping.  I also had them sealed like new.  Finally, I used new tape seals on the box so the set appeared as new.  I did all of that to sell it for a few extra bucks.  I can't believe I missed a piece when counting them out.  Sorry about that."

So... Are you gonna send me the missing piece or what...?

• Like 4

Guest TabbyBoy

I use Royal Mail "Signed For" as a minimum for low-priced items and eBay have always sided with me if there's an INR reported. Anything medium-priced is Collect+ tracked and anything high-priced is either collected or I meet the buyer on neutral territory for a cash transaction. In the UK, box condition is absolutely critical so even if there's a 1mm sized blemish on the box, I'll actually describe it worse than it is so that the fussy-arsed buyer is pleasantly surprised by the condition. I also use double-walled boxes for everything.

It is interesting how your spidey senses start tingling over certain buyers.

I had a buyer purchase a set from me late Friday night.  My listing states that I ship the next business day.So Sunday night I get a message asking why the item hasn't shipped.  I respectfully respond that the item will ship on Monday morning and they could expect it on Wednesday.  But I just had that feeling.

I packed the box carefully with bubble wrap and extra air pillows.  Sure enough, I get a message today that the set arrived open, and claiming it was not new and sealed as described.

I messaged back  with an apology and for clarification, and when I got no response I let the buyer know that I accept refunds and that they can initiate that process through EBay.

And now I wait.

Le sigh...

• Like 1

Received this message last night from a recent eBay buyer:

"Hi, just received the Funko Batman Batmobile, and the box was damaged also , the plastic on the box was torn open. I don,t believe the condition of the box represents new.. Thank you Kindly!!"

I responded back with "Hello. The Funko was new just like every other Funko I have sold and the box did not have any damage when I packaged it for shipping. Do you have any pictures showing the damage you state you received? I'm not sure whether you are just making a statement or asking for some sort of resolution since that was not indicated in your email. If you truly received a damaged item, you are entitled to return it for a refund.  Let me know what you would like to do."

This buyer never indicated the extent of the damage or whether they wanted to return.  They could have stated what they would like to happen to try and resolve this matter.  Needless to say, I have not heard back from them and my 11 years of eBay selling experience tells me I most likely will not hear from them again.  If they do happen to respond back and they are really torn up about the "damage", the only option they will have is to return for a refund.  In this case the buyer paid $53 for this Funko set.  I don't play the partial refund game unless in extreme circumstances.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, justapilgrim said:

Auction goes for 7 days, 20 or so watching auction. Sells for decent price. Within 5 minutes of auction closing, international buyer with feedback 0 asks to cancel. I promise they didn't calculate shipping. Pissed to say the least

Yeah....hopefully there's a special ring of Hell for people like that.

• Like 3

Received this message last night from a recent eBay buyer:

"Hi, just received the Funko Batman Batmobile, and the box was damaged also , the plastic on the box was torn open. I don,t believe the condition of the box represents new.. Thank you Kindly!!"

I responded back with "Hello. The Funko was new just like every other Funko I have sold and the box did not have any damage when I packaged it for shipping. Do you have any pictures showing the damage you state you received? I'm not sure whether you are just making a statement or asking for some sort of resolution since that was not indicated in your email. If you truly received a damaged item, you are entitled to return it for a refund.  Let me know what you would like to do."

This buyer never indicated the extent of the damage or whether they wanted to return.  They could have stated what they would like to happen to try and resolve this matter.  Needless to say, I have not heard back from them and my 11 years of eBay selling experience tells me I most likely will not hear from them again.  If they do happen to respond back and they are really torn up about the "damage", the only option they will have is to return for a refund.  In this case the buyer paid $53 for this Funko set.  I don't play the partial refund game unless in extreme circumstances.

Well, since you decided to make our transaction public. I'd like a partial refund of $43 and I promise to leave very good feedback.

Seriously though, "doesn't represent new"? WTH! First time they ever received a damaged new item? If it is damaged, it doesn't become not new. It sounds to me like they're fishing. Best of luck to you. When this is done, don't forget to block...

• Like 1

I just spent 30 min on one Powerseller reporting his listings. The "custom" lego are in lego category and not lego. It is search manipulation and not allowed. Everyone that reads this should report at least one listing today

I've been working on a similar seller. Got him down from approximately 150 to 31. Seem to be stuck on 31...

• Like 1

On 08/03/2016 at 10:33 PM, MarxMarvelous said:

Can't they just then open a Paypal dispute? Paypal has straight up told me that the tracking number showing delivered is not proof enough. They also would not tell me what would be sufficient evidence.

They told you that?! Cheeky ****s. Ive had a few sales where ''item has not arrived'' apparently, and paypal told me that proof of postage was not enough, i need proof of delivery which the cheapest is (in uk) 2nd class signed for. So that best be enough!

On the other hand, i just bought something from ebay,lego, and asked the seller for tracking to ensure someone is home. I just recieved the stroppiest email accusing me of potentially scamming them. I totally got where hes coming from cause its happened to me but, hes lucky im honest cause that would of rubbed someone up the wrong way if in a bad mood! My postie leaves things outside so i think a couple things got pinched and i had to apply for a refund.

If anyone has had to refund a seller despite having the signed for proof, could you let me know?

Thanks!!

On 13/03/2016 at 6:58 PM, dcdfan said:

I've been working on a similar seller. Got him down from approximately 150 to 31. Seem to be stuck on 31...

How do you report things on ebay.  I've spotted plenty of dodgy listings on the UK site but don't see an option to report. 

1 hour ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

How do you report things on ebay.  I've spotted plenty of dodgy listings on the UK site but don't see an option to report. 

About halfway down the right side (above the item number) there is a "report item" click it & click the choices that it would fall under. I've ended tons of listings by reporting.

33 minutes ago, Yellowtot said:

to be honest unless 100's of people report the item nothing really ever gets done.

Completely untrue...

What path are you following when you fill out the report for counterfeit listings on eBay?  I've been using the following:

Copyright and trademark  > Counterfeit item or authenticity disclaimer > Counterfeit, fake, or replica items

Also, what sellers are you guys targeting?  List them here and I will report their listings also as I have time.

After I see my shipment arrives at the buyers shipping address I always send this "confirmation email"

I see the item(s) have arrived, please leave pos. feedback, and I will do the same for you.
Thanks again!

He replies with:

Interesting. Are you threatening me that you will not leave positive feedback on me unless I do the same. I have fulfilled all my commitments and expect the proper feedback. Please do so and then I will leave my feedback.

I didn't threaten anything, It is more to make sure they received the item(s) and they are not going to pull any funny business, and that they are happy, until I know that I don't like to leave pos. feedback with eBay turning into scam city the past few years.  :beerhat:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Deanfjr said:

After I see my shipment arrives at the buyers shipping address I always send this "confirmation email"

I see the item(s) have arrived, please leave pos. feedback, and I will do the same for you.
Thanks again!

He replies with:

Interesting. Are you threatening me that you will not leave positive feedback on me unless I do the same. I have fulfilled all my commitments and expect the proper feedback. Please do so and then I will leave my feedback.

I didn't threaten anything, It is more to make sure they received the item(s) and they are not going to pull any funny business, and that they are happy, until I know that I don't like to leave pos. feedback with eBay turning into scam city the past few years.  :beerhat:

Sounds like you made a sale to some crusty old brickpicker. 

I often follow up in a similar fashion, and these clowns clearly don't care enough bout feedback to just act decent, so they don't get mine. I certainly can live without theirs as well. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Deanfjr said:

Thanks again!

He replies with:

He's right though, he fulfilled his commitment after paying.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Grynn said:

Sounds like you made a sale to some crusty old brickpicker. 

I often follow up in a similar fashion, and these clowns clearly don't care enough bout feedback to just act decent, so they don't get mine. I certainly can live without theirs as well. 

That's what I told him, that we don't have to leave feedback I just thought with my 800+ and his 400+ we wouldn't have had any probs.

• Like 1

Definitely a salty buyer. I think it's jut the way you have that statement written. I know what your intent is, but the way it's written it could be taken the way your buyer took it.

You may want to lead with a "Ive received notice that your package has arrived. Ive left you positive feedback. Once you have an opportunity to look over your purchase I hope you'll do the same for me."

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, zskid00 said:

What path are you following when you fill out the report for counterfeit listings on eBay?  I've been using the following:

Copyright and trademark  > Counterfeit item or authenticity disclaimer > Counterfeit, fake, or replica items

Also, what sellers are you guys targeting?  List them here and I will report their listings also as I have time.

I think people have had better luck with Listing Practices > Search and browse manipulation > Listing in an incorrect category.  This assumes they have the item listed under the Lego category though.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Deanfjr said:

[snip]

Thanks again!

[snip]

To be honest, in my ESL ears "please leave pos. feedback" sounds like a demand. And followed by "and I will do the same for you" makes it more so. I can totally see how this gets read as "You must leave positive feedback, or else ...". I'd recommend you change it to "I see the item(s) have arrived. If you are satisfied with your purchase, please rate us using Ebay feedback. If there is anything less than satisfactory, please contact us before leaving feedback".

Plus ... I never make my feedback dependent on the buyer's behavior. I submit positive feedback as soon as the payment is made and I ship the item. If they turn out to be douchebags, I'll just block them after the one sale.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Phil B said:

To be honest, in my ESL ears "please leave pos. feedback" sounds like a demand. And followed by "and I will do the same for you" makes it more so. I can totally see how this gets read as "You must leave positive feedback, or else ...". I'd recommend you change it to "I see the item(s) have arrived. If you are satisfied with your purchase, please rate us using Ebay feedback. If there is anything less than satisfactory, please contact us before leaving feedback".

Plus ... I never make my feedback dependent on the buyer's behavior. I submit positive feedback as soon as the payment is made and I ship the item. If they turn out to be douchebags, I'll just block them after the one sale.

Thanks for the suggestion

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Phil B said:

Same here.  Good advice.

• Like 1