Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

1 minute ago, BarryZola said:

As a rule, I 'generally' use signed for delivery for anything over £10. If it's under a tenner I'll usually take my chances as the money you'll lose usually from 1 buyer claiming non-arrival is usually negligible comapred with the amount of sales of under £10 that do go through successfully. Obviously take into account a buyers feedback etc. That's the tricky thing about selling things for around a tenner and under. If you include the signed for postage cost in the sale price (or separate p&p) then you'll exclude a lot of potential buyers as they will choose to buy slightly cheaper elsewhere so it could stop you from being able to sell sometimes. On the other hand, if you don't use the signed for method, you risk the chance of the buyer fancying a freebie and claiming non-arrival. It's a balancing act that we all have to contend with and it's best to just use your wits with regards to what you're selling, at what price, and how best to maybe bundle things so you can still make yourself a decent profit but still be able to leave a decent buying price for the potential buyer. This is the problem with smaller sets really and why many probably steer clear a lot of the time. I still pick up smaller sets myself at really good prices but then have to wonder how best to sell them safely and still make a few quid. Others may have different experiences and other advice different to mine and I would look forward to hearing them to be honest :)

Thanks very much. Its definitely tricky for a newbie, i need to shift some to cover the builds. Annoying, cause like you said, the extra postage is a put off.So 2nd signed for is sufficient cover then? wasn't sure if it had to be a more detailed tracking or not. Actually got £23 compensation from royal mail once cause of a ''non arrival'' . Seems sellers cant leave negative feedback for buyers either or have i missed something there..Was going to list via gumtree with tracked postage as its still paypal.

Also, sounds creepy but think i just spotted you on ebay..barrynoc?

Firstly, na, that's not me on Ebay. I don't even use my name on Ebay so it would be hard to spot me :)

Yeah, signed for has always been fine for me and I've sold over 2000 items (almost all non-Lego though, but same principle mostly). At the end of the day, it guarantee's that the item has arrived/been signed for at the buyers confirmed address (which means that you've fulfilled your part of the contract), and if it doesn't get signed for/arrive then you are guaranteed your money back from Royal Mail or whoever you use the signed for delivery with (as long as you have selected the right insurance which is usually included free with signed for upto £20 or £50 or something like that). Royal Mail are usually very good at getting things delivered but if packages get a little too large then I use MYHermes which gets a bad press but I package items well and have had no problems with them up to now (touch wood).

Yes, sellers can't leave negative feedback. They used to be able to many years back if I remember rightly but for some reason (probably to keep buyers turning up) they changed it, and Ebay is unfairly geared towards buyers slightly in my opinion so you always have to be thinking about how to cover your back really and do the very best for the people who buy from you to stop any unwanted situations from arising. Add in the fact that you automatically end up paying nearly 15% Ebay/Paypal fees on anything sold (including on p&p fees) then this is why things need to be picked up at a good discount initially or wait until the price has appreciated well beyond RRP before it's worth selling anything. This is what will put off a lot of new sellers at some point or another, which is why this 'Lego better investment than gold' thing sounds great for many at the start but quickly gets a lot harder than expected. I'm still a newbie to Lego investing myself and so I'm no authority on that (I'm sure I've bought some things I shouldn't have bothered with already), but I do know how to sell pretty well on Ebay generally. I learn everyday on here from the old-timers about the Lego side of things, they're really invaluable people to listen to :) 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BarryZola said:

Firstly, na, that's not me on Ebay. I don't even use my name on Ebay so it would be hard to spot me :)

Yeah, signed for has always been fine for me and I've sold over 2000 items (almost all non-Lego though, but same principle mostly). At the end of the day, it guarantee's that the item has arrived/been signed for at the buyers confirmed address (which means that you've fulfilled your part of the contract), and if it doesn't get signed for/arrive then you are guaranteed your money back from Royal Mail or whoever you use the signed for delivery with (as long as you have selected the right insurance which is usually included free with signed for upto £20 or £50 or something like that). Royal Mail are usually very good at getting things delivered but if packages get a little too large then I use MYHermes which gets a bad press but I package items well and have had no problems with them up to now (touch wood).

Yes, sellers can't leave negative feedback. They used to be able to many years back if I remember rightly but for some reason (probably to keep buyers turning up) they changed it, and Ebay is unfairly geared towards buyers slightly in my opinion so you always have to be thinking about how to cover your back really and do the very best for the people who buy from you to stop any unwanted situations from arising. Add in the fact that you automatically end up paying nearly 15% Ebay/Paypal fees on anything sold (including on p&p fees) then this is why things need to be picked up at a good discount initially or wait until the price has appreciated well beyond RRP before it's worth selling anything. This is what will put off a lot of new sellers at some point or another, which is why this 'Lego better investment than gold' thing sounds great for many at the start but quickly gets a lot harder than expected. I'm still a newbie to Lego investing myself and so I'm no authority on that (I'm sure I've bought some things I shouldn't have bothered with already), but I do know how to sell pretty well on Ebay generally. I learn everyday on here from the old-timers about the Lego side of things, they're really invaluable people to listen to :) 

definitely. This site has prevented me from under valuing my stuff as well. I don't fancy the investment side but i do to sell to fund my habit. And yea, i did think it was a bit of a coincidence if it was you! Thanks for all the info!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wobbl87 said:

Is there a forum about postage methods for ebay uk? Ive been using second class signed for since everyone seems to love saying they did not receive the item.

Thanks in advance.

Try buying some of the phoney " tracked mail " labels on the internet. They dropped my INR's by 80% when i used them. I never send anything less than £30 requiring a signature.

• Like 2

Here's a recent exchange with a would be buyer:

February 22 (regarding a 13oz bunch of bricks)

THEM: How did the Shipping calculator jump from 3. 54 to 6. 45? I haven't moved since last night and neither did USPS increase rates overnite!...It's one thing to have a temporarily sale, very nice in facy... but to make it up in SHIPPING FEES increase?? Was about to hit BIN, but now... rethinking the idea....

ME: I use calculated shipping. I had this listed as a 8oz shipment, which is not accurate. I bumped it up to 16oz to be on the safe side until I can weigh these bricks. I dropped the purchase price accordingly. Thanks for looking, R

THEM: Alrighty then... will keep watching it until you get your final accurate weight & shipping cost :). Those bricks are light, I buy A LOT of them! [NAME REDACTED]

March 2 (regarding a minifigure)

THEM: Hi! If this doesn't sell as listed.... I'd offer 4.00 for it. Instant PP payment. Thanks!

ME: Sounds good to me. I changed the listing to 'best offer.' Send your $4 offer, and it will be accepted automatically. Thanks for writing! Cheers, R

THEM: You must have me blocked for whatever.... reason. Says you're not accepting any offer from me.
Oh well... No idea what I did, but OK... whatever.

ME: Oh hi, I remember you. You sent me a message about shipping for another item a while back. You message landed as impolite and I decided to play it safe and not do business with you. No hard feelings. Have a good one. R

I blocked this buyer after their first message because my Negative Feedback Senses were tingling. I just looked and they left over 20 negative in the last year including 6 to a well known bricks & pieces seller who had the nerve to charge $2.95 for a few ounces of LEGO. I didn't used to be so liberal with the blocking; but now, if anything seems off, I block first, ask questions later.

EDIT: I suspected I might get a spirited reply from my blocked seller. It just arrived:

Ahhh yes... I remember you too now.... and if I had earlier, would never have contacted you, LOL! You're the one who kept changed shipping and item price over and over and could not decide what to list for. So I bought from that same item from another... and definitely more dependable... seller.
The impolite message must be this last one "Alrighty then... will keep watching it until you get your final accurate weight & shipping cost :). Those bricks are light, I buy A LOT of them! [NAME REDACTED]".
That is terrible!! So very rude and totally impolite!!. Look at all the nasty words... I should be banned for life for such a rude and abusive message! Sure don't blame you for blocking me!!! I will now try to survive this crushing blow, LOL! and as usual... buy from another... dependable.... seller.Thanks for the laughs... Oh... no reply necessary, or desired.... It won't be read if you do...I assure you

Edited by randrace
  • Like 5

Here's a recent exchange with a would be buyer:

February 22 (regarding a 13oz bunch of bricks)

THEM: How did the Shipping calculator jump from 3. 54 to 6. 45? I haven't moved since last night and neither did USPS increase rates overnite!...It's one thing to have a temporarily sale, very nice in facy... but to make it up in SHIPPING FEES increase?? Was about to hit BIN, but now... rethinking the idea....

ME: I use calculated shipping. I had this listed as a 8oz shipment, which is not accurate. I bumped it up to 16oz to be on the safe side until I can weigh these bricks. I dropped the purchase price accordingly. Thanks for looking, R

THEM: Alrighty then... will keep watching it until you get your final accurate weight & shipping cost :). Those bricks are light, I buy A LOT of them! [NAME REDACTED]

March 2 (regarding a minifigure)

THEM: Hi! If this doesn't sell as listed.... I'd offer 4.00 for it. Instant PP payment. Thanks!

ME: Sounds good to me. I changed the listing to 'best offer.' Send your $4 offer, and it will be accepted automatically. Thanks for writing! Cheers, R

THEM: You must have me blocked for whatever.... reason. Says you're not accepting any offer from me.

Oh well... No idea what I did, but OK... whatever.

ME: Oh hi, I remember you. You sent me a message about shipping for another item a while back. You message landed as impolite and I decided to play it safe and not do business with you. No hard feelings. Have a good one. R

I blocked this buyer after their first message because my Negative Feedback Senses were tingling. I just looked and they left over 20 negative in the last year including 6 to a well known bricks & pieces seller who had the nerve to charge $2.95 for a few ounces of LEGO. I didn't used to be so liberal with the blocking; but now, if anything seems off, I block first, ask questions later.

EDIT: I suspected I might get a spirited reply from my blocked seller. It just arrived:

Ahhh yes... I remember you too now.... and if I had earlier, would never have contacted you, LOL! You're the one who kept changed shipping and item price over and over and could not decide what to list for. So I bought from that same item from another... and definitely more dependable... seller.

The impolite message must be this last one "Alrighty then... will keep watching it until you get your final accurate weight & shipping cost :). Those bricks are light, I buy A LOT of them! [NAME REDACTED]".

That is terrible!! So very rude and totally impolite!!. Look at all the nasty words... I should be banned for life for such a rude and abusive message! Sure don't blame you for blocking me!!! I will now try to survive this crushing blow, LOL! and as usual... buy from another... dependable.... seller.Thanks for the laughs... Oh... no reply necessary, or desired.... It won't be read if you do...I assure you

That's pretty obnoxious. It's better that you not have to deal that idiot. Make sure you go into your settings & click the part about blocked buyers "not being able to contact you."

Yeah, before I respond anymore initially, I check the feedbacks they've left for others & if things seem "off" I block them from the get-go. I can't imagine anyone would need to leave more negatives than positives in any scenario. In the end we're taking about such a tiny percent of idiots so I'm not worried about it. Better safe than sorry...

BTW, I liked your post not for liking what happened but for the share...

• Like 1

Ok so I reported this listing to ebay (no action has been taken yet, listing is still alive):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lego-75102-Poes-X-Wing-Fighter-/172106927060

You'd think "this could just be a mistake" .... so I took a look at his other listings, lots of rubbish but several LEGO items. .... Including gems like these:

s-l1600.jpg

Yes that's right - he posted (as the only image!) a screen shot of somebody else's listing. Not once, but for many listings. D'OH. Seems to have 100% positive feedback on what he has sold, so I'm calling this one Fruitcake, not Scam.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Phil B said:

Yes that's right - he posted (as the only image!) a screen shot of somebody else's listing. Not once, but for many listings. D'OH. Seems to have 100% positive feedback on what he has sold, so I'm calling this one Fruitcake, not Scam.

At least he did something (ie. creating screen shots), the typical lazy sellers just blindly downloaded and used others' pictures :drag:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Phil B said:

Ok so I reported this listing to ebay (no action has been taken yet, listing is still alive):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lego-75102-Poes-X-Wing-Fighter-/172106927060

You'd think "this could just be a mistake" .... so I took a look at his other listings, lots of rubbish but several LEGO items. .... Including gems like these:

s-l1600.jpg

Oh and I forgot to mention - look at his shipping fees. $22 for a small set? Where is this coming from, Antarctica?

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 11:29 AM, BarryZola said:

Back in the late 1990's to mid 2000's Ebay was an absolute riot.  The number of fraudulent transactions was ridiculous.  It was basically an unregulated wasteland of sellers and buyers with absolutely NO way getting any recourse for any wrong doing whatsoever.  Paypal was non existent, eventually barely existed, and eventually bought out by Ebay.  On the same front the Ebay fees were significantly less as was the paypal fees.  I want to say that I was only paying 6-7% in fees TOTAL between Ebay and Paypal back then.  Very easy to turn a profit.  Plus Shipping and Handling was cheaper as well.  I think a flat rate USPS envelope was only 3.25 USD if I remember right.

Ebay used to be significantly in favor of the Seller.  Seller's with high feedback rating would basically be able to ignore any small fry because if you had 10,000 + feedback, one negative wasn't going to hurt you.  The feedback was simply based off your total number and there was no calculated percentage as there is in today's Ebay market.  Seller's could basically hold buyer's hostage over the threat of a seller leaving a buyer negative feedback.  It today's ebay climate, as a seller you basically have to do whatever it takes to make the buyer happy or you could get negative feedback, unlike before, there was always the threat of being left negative feedback as a buyer if you gave the seller negative feedback.  Kind of like an eye for an eye thing.

There was also no Ebay Money Back Guarantee, and probably over half the transactions were done with money orders..... You can only imagine how that went.  Total Disaster again.  If the item wasn't as described or never came, there was pretty much no way to get your money back unless you paid via paypal with a credit card and not your bank account. If you paid with your bank account you were screwed.  Why were you screwed you ask?  Because back then paypal only allotted you a total 3 transactions up to $200 dollars a piece in protection for a grand total of $600 dollars in protection per calendar year!!!  That's all you were protected if you either used paypal funds or bank account funds!!!  $600 dollars!!  And on top of that they charged you $25 dollars per transaction to get your money back!!!  So only $525 dollars of true protection!!  Per calendar year!!

How do I know this?  BECAUSE PAYPAL SCREWED ME!!  I bought a couple thousand dollars of lego's from someone with a flawless rating, whose account must have been hijacked.  I used a variety of funds between paypal funds, my CC, and my bank account.  When the transactions went bad, I charged back as much as I could from my CC,  went to my bank, and then complained with Paypal.  Well my CC was easy, they refunded everything I had with them.  My bank gave me back the cash after I filled out a ton of paper work.  Paypal gave me back $525 dollars, but I still lost a ton.  Oh but wait, then paypal took everything my bank took from paypal RIGHT BACK OUT OF MY BANK ACCOUNT without any email or anything, after my bank already pulled the money from Paypal.  Paypal literally just took my money for merchandise that was never delivered.  Keep in mind that everytime you checked out with paypal back then they basically put up a screen about how safe paypal was and how it was just as safe as a credit card if you used paypal funds, instead of a credit card.  TOTAL FALSE ADVERTISING!!!!

I was LIVID but there was not much I could do.  A couple years went by, and in 2008 I randomly get a post card for a class action lawsuit against Paypal due to their false advertising about the safety of using Paypal funds to pay.  I go to the website.  Download some paperwork, fill it all out, listing all the transactions that paypal lost me money on, etc. and mail it back.  3 years later, I randomly get a check for a couple thousand dollars in the mail for the class action lawsuit.  It ended up being more than I actually lost.

Lesson here.  Don't ignore those class action lawsuits. 

While ebay fees and paypal fees are crazy high these days, at least there is some protection.  Before Ebay offered NO PROTECTION at all and Paypal offered a minimal amount of protection, masking themselves as credit card level protection.  Ebay over the years has continually decreased the rights of sellers and placed it all in the hands of the buyers to the point that sellers now have to protect themselves from chargebacks at all costs. 

The fraudulent seller's are definitely getting trickier.  One seller recently tried to claim he sent me a large camera lens, and it was delivered to an address (obviously not mine as I never received it) in my zip code.  He never responded to my emails and I guess never responded to ebays as he disappeared.  But it states delivered inside mailbox.  A camera lens of this size would not be able to fit in my mailbox if it was even delivered to my mailbox. So he basically sent an envelope to a random address in my zipcode for proof of delivery. Either way, any package over 750 dollars must be signed for by someone or you are not protected as a seller on Ebay so they automatically decided in my favor because of that. 

The point is that fraudulent sellers are getting creative.  On any high end merchandise I buy on Ebay I always video tape opening the box for proof in case I get sent a bag of rocks.

Edited by Rimmit
  • Like 6

Received my first INR via eBay a few weeks ago.  USPS tracking shows "Delivered / Left with Individual".  Buyer appears trustworthy on the surface based on communication, and patience w/ the overall claim and appeal process with USPS.  I'm waiting for USPS to review my appeal for the claim that was denied.  I'm not optimistic.

It's a $35 item.  Do you typically just refund the buyer, file the USPS appeal and move on?  I'd like to make this right for the customer, even though I wasn't at fault.  I'd also like to avoid a negative or neutral feedback score. 

33 minutes ago, BrickLegacy said:

Received my first INR via eBay a few weeks ago.  USPS tracking shows "Delivered / Left with Individual".  Buyer appears trustworthy on the surface based on communication, and patience w/ the overall claim and appeal process with USPS.  I'm waiting for USPS to review my appeal for the claim that was denied.  I'm not optimistic.

It's a $35 item.  Do you typically just refund the buyer, file the USPS appeal and move on?  I'd like to make this right for the customer, even though I wasn't at fault.  I'd also like to avoid a negative or neutral feedback score. 

A $35 item with a delivery scan you can call the post office and ask about it if you want to, but you don't have too. Call eBay and once you tell them about the tracking showing delivered they will decide in your favor. 

31 minutes ago, BrickLegacy said:

As far as INR, the tracking showing delivery should cover you against that eBay case and any feedback associated with it.

If USPS already concluded that the item was delivered to the correct address, I am not so sure there is anything else you can do.  Did the buyer check with his neighbors etc etc just to make sure the package was not left with them?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Migration said:

A $35 item with a delivery scan you can call the post office and ask about it if you want to, but you don't have too. Call eBay and once you tell them about the tracking showing delivered they will decide in your favor. 

Can't they just then open a Paypal dispute? Paypal has straight up told me that the tracking number showing delivered is not proof enough. They also would not tell me what would be sufficient evidence.

9 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

As far as INR, the tracking showing delivery should cover you against that eBay case and any feedback associated with it.

If USPS already concluded that the item was delivered to the correct address, I am not so sure there is anything else you can do.  Did the buyer check with his neighbors etc etc just to make sure the package was not left with them?

I'm confident I'll win the case.  I'm mostly concerned about feedback.

He mentioned it happened before.  He is very upset with his post office.  He hasn't said anything to me that was confrontational or to indicate he is unsatisfied with my service up to this point.  I just feel bad that a customer of mine spent $35 and has nothing to show for it.

• Like 1

I just recently lost a case with this exact description. CanadaPost had been 'investigating' for 3.5 weeks, and got back to me yesterday saying "Insurance claim denied because buyer could not be contacted."

Up until that point, I'd been giving benefit of the doubt to my buyer (whom I had difficulty communicating with due to a language barrier- different than BL's situation).... but if they really and truly were just a victim to a mis-delivery... why would they avoid the postal service at all costs? So I called ebay back and described this turn of events, emphasizing my suspicion of a scam. They appealed the case in my favour immediately. Very pleased with the final outcome, as I've spent way too many hours on hold/on the phone trying to make this right.

What I'm saying is, you may have to fight for it... Much like Rimmit says up there, ebay favours the Buyer these days, not the Seller... you gotta work your ass off to get proper compensation as a Seller. Thankfully this was 1 of 50 sales, hopefully that ratio stays similar or shrinks, not everyone's a bad apple at least. 

Edited by Zelgazra

44 minutes ago, BrickLegacy said:

He mentioned it happened before.  He is very upset with his post office.  He hasn't said anything to me that was confrontational or to indicate he is unsatisfied with my service up to this point.  I just feel bad that a customer of mine spent $35 and has nothing to show for it.

You will win the case.  I recently bought an item with a quantity of 2.  The seller only sent one. I argued with Ebay and Paypal using the "Item not delivered".  (The seller has since refused to answer any emails or messages)  They saw a tracking number and delivered, so they decided against me.  I called and explained my situation.  They said I could reopen it, and then request a return, and once the seller either ignores my message after 3 days or accepts, I can get my money back.  Well 3 days went by, and I heard nothing.  I get a message from Ebay telling me to return the item, and get a tracking number and once delivered I can get my money back.  Well, since I didn't have the item to begin with I call them stating I cannot send something back which I was not given to begin with, and I was instructed to open a return request as this was how they would decide in my favor. They then stated I had to return the 1 item I was sent to get my money back for both items.  Problem is that the one item was a bag of protein which I had since consumed, so there was nothing to return.  eBay then stated I had to return BOTH items, I was livid.  I am not waiting several more days for the return item thing to expire, and I can escalate the claim... at which point I get more options per eBay.

In the mean time I left negative feedback to the seller, who has never responded to a single email or message regarding the item that was not since.  It was promptly DELETED by Ebay.

Unless the item is over 750 at which that point it requires signature confirmation, you will be protected against negative feedback and they should rule in your favor. 

Got a return request today. Customer sent me pictures of damaged box (funko pop). I wrapped the box with bubble wrap and added peanuts for extra cushion. I guess that wasn't enough so I told the customer to send back the item for full refund so customer opened the return request and instead of selecting under reason arrived damaged customer selects Item not as described. Then writes a note saying that I sent him a damaged item. wtf? I'm clearly not happy about that but whatever.. Now I'm just waiting to get the item back, issue the refund and block block block.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrickLegacy said:

The buyer will not be able to leave negative feedback against you, if they do eBay will remove it.

1 hour ago, MarxMarvelous said:

Can't they just then open a Paypal dispute? Paypal has straight up told me that the tracking number showing delivered is not proof enough. They also would not tell me what would be sufficient evidence.

Not sure about how PayPal would deal with it, I've only had this happen a few times and in each instance eBay sided with me and that ps the last I heard. 

Thanks for the help, guys.  Another one today.  Message from a buyer: 

" Was this a newly sealed item? Was missing a piece. "

I want to reply with:

"No - it was actually used.  I cleaned all the pieces individually to make them appear to be right off the factory line.  I then counted each individual piece and placed them in their correct individual numbered bags and resealed them, exactly how its done in the factory.  I sucked out any dust or particles when I sealed the bags.  In addition, we purchased new instruction booklets without creases or wear.  I had those hand delivered to me so they wouldn't get damaged in shipping.  I also had them sealed like new.  Finally, I used new tape seals on the box so the set appeared as new.  I did all of that to sell it for a few extra bucks.  I can't believe I missed a piece when counting them out.  Sorry about that."

• Like 3