Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

2 hours ago, Zelgazra said:

Maybe I should just count myself lucky then? I've sent a load of stuff out via lettermail, all my feedback has been positive thus far. Am I simply dodging bullets like Neo? Being able to charge so much less really helps with making sales! 

$5.70 to the US now, since when exactly? I guess I haven't sent any Light Packets to the US super recently. On that note, does Light Packet then count as a parcel, and get handled different than letter? Maybe that's why I've never had my parts chewed up by machines.... does Canada even have such machines? Lol, wouldn't be surprised if it's all done manually, we're "only" ~35 million people up here. 

Seems to simply link me to a products for sale page...? Curious to see this list, what navigational steps did you jump through to find it? 

Yes Canada Post does use machines to process lettermail. :) It was the main reason why a number of years back Canada Post changed the way they wanted addresses written... so the machines that process mail could be more efficient at sorting. If the machine can't read the address, it goes into a giant bucket to be hand read.

Sorry, I don't know what's up with the link. ** Edit - the affiliate program is changing all the links. I've stuck them into "code" snippets so you can at least copy and paste them into your browser and nobody gets redirected to some strange canada post products for sale page. **

Here is a link to "machinable mail":

https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/kb/list.page?cattype=kb&cat=sending&subcat=machineablemail

And some "tutorials" about how to ensure your mail is machinable:

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/business/tools/advisors/mmadvisor/sl_nowin.jsf

(disclaimer: my internet connection won't allow me to view the videos)

And here is the proper link of the list I referenced:

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGletterml-e.asp#1392028

And a link to the "abc's" of mailing which is quite humorous in place:

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGabcmail-e.asp

3 hours ago, Phil B said:

Interesting ... so are you indeed charging >$20 for a shipment to Canada? For the shipment I sent, the best I could find in package rate was something like $23 for a 4oz package that cost the buyer ~$7 in pieces, so the shipping rate was totally killing the deal.

For priority mail, maybe? First Class International package for 4oz is $9.50 from US to Canada

18 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

For priority mail, maybe? First Class International package for 4oz is $9.50 from US to Canada

Hmmm ... I have no "package" option when choosing First Class International in the PayPal ShipNow tool. Are you getting the rate directly from USPS?

7 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Yes, I usually buy FC International from usps.com.  You should be able to fill up and print the import papers along with the postage.

Ok thanks ... will check out going this route for the next international package I send - I don't like taking risks with LEGO bricks, but the shipment I did using First Class Flats did meet all the criteria (and the lady at the post office who glanced at it said it was ok) so I hope all arrives without issues.

4 hours ago, Phil B said:

Interesting ... so are you indeed charging >$20 for a shipment to Canada? For the shipment I sent, the best I could find in package rate was something like $23 for a 4oz package that cost the buyer ~$7 in pieces, so the shipping rate was totally killing the deal.

$9.03, commercial base rate for parcels 0-8 oz.  So you can get about 200g of bricks for $9.  If you need one piece or figure, it's expensive.  If you are Bricklinking a project or set, its reasonable.

I expected a drop off in international orders, but what we've seen so far is that people are maximizing the postage so the dollar amount per order average is going up.  So fewer orders are being offset by larger orders.  Net effect on sales is negligible.  So far.  We'll see what craziness USPS comes up with next year.

• Like 1

Was selling a set for 25 and someone offered me 18, I countered with 23 and then I hear no response for 47 hours and 40 mins. The person then offers me 21 and I told him 22 is my minimum price. After 3 days the person sends me this message 

I have no earthly idea what the person means, "your counter offer was unsuccessful" i'm thinking the person missed the "you will be terminated" at the end. 

I normally get people saying that Timmy only has X amount of money and he desperately wants the set. They then proceed to shoots me a low ball offer that is 50% off the asking price.

Edited by Armor

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lego-Star-Wars-Minifigure-lot-1000-figures-PLUS-Bonus-items-/121887605148?hash=item1c6111419c:g:JUcAAOSwcBhWX9Oz

Been watching this auction just out of curiosity.  Can you really remove items from an auction like this person stated and then just clarify it as an "Edit" at the end?  Definitely not a 'best practice' to mention that you would sell off parts of the lot for the right price even when there are bids.  Just curious what the repercussions are for this seller, if there are any.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, trstnkn said:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lego-Star-Wars-Minifigure-lot-1000-figures-PLUS-Bonus-items-/121887605148?hash=item1c6111419c:g:JUcAAOSwcBhWX9Oz

Been watching this auction just out of curiosity.  Can you really remove items from an auction like this person stated and then just clarify it as an "Edit" at the end?  Definitely not a 'best practice' to mention that you would sell off parts of the lot for the right price even when there are bids.  Just curious what the repercussions are for this seller, if there are any.

SNAD written all over it when all said and done.

That's funny. So ridiculous...

It was bound to happen but after selling Lego for close to 2 years now I have had my first return request.  I know it doesn't matter the reason with ebay and I have no choice but to accept the return.  At first they stated they wanted to keep the item but wanted all the money back.  They said that they are missing parts but wont tell me what parts or anything just they want the money back.  

I have to hope for the best but I cant imagine I am going to be happy with what he returns.  It's less than $30 so I am close to saying just keep it to save me the $ money to send it back.  They also want more than it cost me to ship it as they threw out all the packaging material and now need to go buy new stuff they even want gas money.

4 minutes ago, wsuskee said:

It was bound to happen but after selling Lego for close to 2 years now I have had my first return request.  I know it doesn't matter the reason with ebay and I have no choice but to accept the return.  At first they stated they wanted to keep the item but wanted all the money back.  They said that they are missing parts but wont tell me what parts or anything just they want the money back.  

I have to hope for the best but I cant imagine I am going to be happy with what he returns.  It's less than $30 so I am close to saying just keep it to save me the $ money to send it back.  They also want more than it cost me to ship it as they threw out all the packaging material and now need to go buy new stuff they even want gas money.

Sounds like a clear case of extortion. I would fight it with eBay. They need to offer some proof if they want to file a case... at least make them work for it!

• Like 6

I would be firm and say that you want the set back, no matter if that costs more or not. I'd also ask for the specific pieces that are missing, and if those are easy to order & ship, offer to send those pieces to them instead of doing the return.

Anyone who buys online (like from Amazon and others) knows that you might get return shipment paid, but not the packaging materials, gas or labor costs to do the packaging. Part of the online shopping experience.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, lazuli16 said:

I've never had a return (I probably just jinxed myself), but at least on ebay, when I offer returns I specify (via the listing page options) that the buyer pays return shipping and a 20% resocking fee.  Would these terms not apply because the buyer stated the item is defective?

Would not apply...

• Like 1

Buyer paying return shipping only applies when buyer decides they don't want it anymore just because they changed their mind and want to be honest about that.

Edited by MarxMarvelous

So, here's a fun one. Late January I had a buyer purchase 3 large items, I wound up shipping in two boxes due to the size. They both got a delivery scan and 3 minutes later both were refused by the buyer. The first box showed up last week, the second was returned to me today. Both are in the same condition that I sent them. No response from the buyer to my 4-5 emails. I Do have a 20% restocking fee on all my listings, but as this isn't a return how do I charge it? When I go to refund it defaults to a full refund and my exhaustive research (2 minutes on google) hasn't shown me a way to do this. I do not want to eat a $60 shipping charge. My only guess is that this is some sort of hacked account and whatever address they items showed up at refused them because they didn't order anything, in which case I'll lose the chargeback case in 4 or five months anyway. Confused and annoyed.

13 minutes ago, Migration said:

So, here's a fun one. Late January I had a buyer purchase 3 large items, I wound up shipping in two boxes due to the size. They both got a delivery scan and 3 minutes later both were refused by the buyer. The first box showed up last week, the second was returned to me today. Both are in the same condition that I sent them. No response from the buyer to my 4-5 emails. I Do have a 20% restocking fee on all my listings, but as this isn't a return how do I charge it? When I go to refund it defaults to a full refund and my exhaustive research (2 minutes on google) hasn't shown me a way to do this. I do not want to eat a $60 shipping charge. My only guess is that this is some sort of hacked account and whatever address they items showed up at refused them because they didn't order anything, in which case I'll lose the chargeback case in 4 or five months anyway. Confused and annoyed.

Call eBay CS. Be persistent. Ask for supervisors. No way you accept that...

39 minutes ago, Migration said:

If the tracking says "Refused by reciever"?

You have zero to worry about as far as an Ebay Case.

Now if PP opens a reversal or chargeback, then you may have to represent your side. PP does re-imburse fraud cases to sellers, if you followed all the guidelines according to there terms of use. As each case is different, there can be specific things you can do or say to PP to help your case.

Hope that helps.

Edited by jdmpartz

If the package was refused , the buyer forfeits the item. You are not obligated to issue a refund

• Like 1