Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

On 2/7/2016 at 2:31 PM, Zelgazra said:

I can't seem to quote myself... 

"20 Minutes ago Zelgazra said: "Not suggesting his prices aren't still too high, but just sayin', he's not looking or going to get 16k for that bundle."

On an unrelated note, I just had a funny Bricklink Fruitcake experience. From a seller, not a buyer. Placed an order last night of some fairly common parts, plus a couple of minifig pieces I needed to complete some stuff from bulk lots. Nothing large, from my inspection of the list, nothing 'oversized' that would kill the 2cm rule, so I was expecting a shipping quote of around $5-6 for a bubble mailer to Canada. Invoice came in this morning, shipping charges $10 US. It felt too high so I asked about it. 

The reply I got: "Way too thick of a package for letter, you ordered a lot of parts which are in one bag and is probably a couple inches thick. It would get returned right away."

I followed up with "That sounds like the manner of packaging is the problem, not the bricks in my order. If you can’t be bothered to sort it out into smaller bundles and level it off to 2cm that’s no problem, I’ll keep shopping then."

He promptly cancelled my order. Lol! Every other bricklink seller I've dealt with sees it as common sense to try and take advantage of the 2cm rule. Are the USPS rates raised so much that people can't be bothered anymore? Or was this guy just genuinely a lazy seller?

There's no 2cm rule, no small epacket, there's no mercy for shipping non-letters to other countries from USA. One minifigure? One flat plate? Those are parcels to the USPS. Minimum about $10 to Canada now. Seller was charging you the actual cost.

7 minutes ago, minicoopers11 said:

There's no 2cm rule, no small epacket, there's no mercy for shipping non-letters to other countries from USA. One minifigure? One flat plate? Those are parcels to the USPS. Minimum about $10 to Canada now. Seller was charging you the actual cost.

I punched in a Canadian address the other day and picked large envelope.  Price was less than $3.

Edited by stackables

3 minutes ago, stackables said:

I punched in a Canadian address the other day and picked large envelope.  Price was less than $3.

You paid the letter price.

Edit: Let me clarify. Not correct. You paid the "large envelope" price. But, "pieces that are rigid, nonrectangular, or not uniformly thick pay package prices."

Edited by minicoopers11

7 minutes ago, minicoopers11 said:

I just sent an "Envelope (flat)" to Canada for $3.02. basically a bubble mailer, with pieces lying flat in it (I asked the recipient if they were okay with me clicking the bricks together and they said Yes). According to the rules on USPS.com, a Flat needs to be uniform in thickness and no thicker than 3/4 inch (2cm). So there is such a rule, and shipping was no problem. The postage and customs form were one combined form, even easier. All went via PayPal's shipnow site.

To back up Phil B, and to add to my experience. I had ordered a similar sized order from a different US seller 3 days previous. They had initially charged me $11.50 and I was shocked.... asked about the bubble mailer rate and they said 'oh sure, forgot we can do that, let me adjust your invoice' and was subsequently charged $4. 

When the second seller told me he couldn't do it, that told me "I can't be bothered to repackage your bricks to lie uniformly flat to save you some money and create a repeat customer'. So I posted it in the fruitcake thread. Cause that's what he was, a lazy fruitcake seller, unwilling to even look at the options for me. :( 

If what you're saying is true coopers, you can be certain that US bricklink sellers are going to see a huge drop in foreign sales. I can place about 3 or 4 orders from Canadian sellers for the same or less shipping cost now, so it seems less relevant to get those 'most bricks for your order' deals anymore, which often come from the states in my past experience. 

2 minutes ago, Zelgazra said:

To back up Phil B, and to add to my experience. I had ordered a similar sized order from a different US seller 3 days previous. They had initially charged me $11.50 and I was shocked.... asked about the bubble mailer rate and they said 'oh sure, forgot we can do that, let me adjust your invoice' and was subsequently charged $4. 

When the second seller told me he couldn't do it, that told me "I can't be bothered to repackage your bricks to lie uniformly flat to save you some money and create a repeat customer'. So I posted it in the fruitcake thread. Cause that's what he was, a lazy fruitcake seller, unwilling to even look at the options for me. :( 

If what you're saying is true coopers, you can be certain that US bricklink sellers are going to see a huge drop in foreign sales. I can place about 3 or 4 orders from Canadian sellers for the same or less shipping cost now, so it seems less relevant to get those 'most bricks for your order' deals anymore, which often come from the states in my past experience. 

Absolutely...I think it's ridiculous. I'm just posting my experience and I've been shot down at the counter.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, minicoopers11 said:

Absolutely...I think it's ridiculous. I'm just posting my experience and I've been shot down at the counter.

Which is incredibly lame, cause had you been my seller and you HAD done the footwork, the price would still be the same and I'd still cancel the sale after all the effort. I sure hope CanadaPost doesn't decide to follow suit with USPS. $1.90 CAD to ship minifigs nationally is prime. $5 to the US isn't bad either. 

34 minutes ago, Zelgazra said:

Technically to qualify for envelope rate, the envelope needs to be easily foldable to accomodate for mailboxes.  So the 2nd seller was technicaly correct and 1st seller needed to to depend on luck to avoid eating $7 difference.

7 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Technically to qualify for envelope rate, the envelope needs to be easily foldable to accomodate for mailboxes.  So the 2nd seller was technicaly correct and 1st seller needed to to depend on luck to avoid eating $7 difference.

Think the intention of the higher price is to account for the additional manual handling a package requires as opposed to machine processing.

1 hour ago, minicoopers11 said:

Think the intention of the higher price is to account for the additional manual handling a package requires as opposed to machine processing.

Well, OP specifically mentioned 2 cm rule which was only applicable to FC vs envelope.  Seller replied order was too bulky for envelope. Pretty clear cut to me.

ETA: Now that I can look it up, 6oz large envelope to Canada costs about $4, 6oz FC package costs about $10.  So seller quoted the correct price

Last year I had a White Stripes LP returned to me as faulty because it apparently wasn't compatible with the buyer's turntable.

They didn't know it had more than one speed, changeable by removing the platter.

It really shouldn't be an eBay seller's job to teach people how to achieve 33rpm.

Wow...

$5.70 to the US now. And the $1.90 within Canada is about to increase soon as well.

Which is incredibly lame, cause had you been my seller and you HAD done the footwork, the price would still be the same and I'd still cancel the sale after all the effort. I sure hope CanadaPost doesn't decide to follow suit with USPS. $1.90 CAD to ship minifigs nationally is prime. $5 to the US isn't bad either. 

4 hours ago, seapotato said:

$5.70 to the US now. And the $1.90 within Canada is about to increase soon as well.

According to Canada Post, if it can fit through the 2cm mail slot many items can be sent via lettermail. They do have a somewhat interesting list of items that are considered "unacceptable" as lettermail:

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGletterml-e.asp#1392028

There are some interesting items on that list... I would wager that officially they wouldn't want LEGO sent via lettermail but I've sent a number of polys via regular letter mail without a problem. You just need to flatten out the contents and pick a bubble mailer that fits snugly to ensure the pieces don't move around. But in doing so, I recognize it's my risk, not the buyers.

Edited by gregpj
edit - sorry, need to avoid having it be picked up as a URL else the affiliate program is changing it

Maybe I should just count myself lucky then? I've sent a load of stuff out via lettermail, all my feedback has been positive thus far. Am I simply dodging bullets like Neo? Being able to charge so much less really helps with making sales! 

$5.70 to the US now, since when exactly? I guess I haven't sent any Light Packets to the US super recently. On that note, does Light Packet then count as a parcel, and get handled different than letter? Maybe that's why I've never had my parts chewed up by machines.... does Canada even have such machines? Lol, wouldn't be surprised if it's all done manually, we're "only" ~35 million people up here. 

Seems to simply link me to a products for sale page...? Curious to see this list, what navigational steps did you jump through to find it? 

Edited by gregpj
fixing link

5 hours ago, DadsAFOL said:

You guys should know from being on this site that the customer is not always right.  The envelope rate is intended for a stack of papers.  The machinery that processes envelopes will chew up anything that has a piece of ABS plastic inside it.  The only way to safely ship Lego is parcel rate in a bubble mailer or box.  Some sellers may be willing to take the risk that your parcel makes it through without getting destroyed.  We ship ~1000 orders a month, and we've got a standard process.  if you were to ask us to ship via envelope we'd say no.  

Interesting ... so are you indeed charging >$20 for a shipment to Canada? For the shipment I sent, the best I could find in package rate was something like $23 for a 4oz package that cost the buyer ~$7 in pieces, so the shipping rate was totally killing the deal.