Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

It actually reminds me of those Ponzi scheme advertisers, who scam people for money. Why would an actual investor not buy stuff himself or get told to buy these? It is absolutely aimed at clueless people. Some nutjob can lose serious money buying this. Anyway, if you are stupid enough not to check the individual market value of these sets then you honestly deserve it.

Edited by inversion

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEGO-Star-Wars-1-x-10179-5-x-10188-Batman-3-x-76023-1-x-5004950-BTTF-3-x-21103-/221999792447?hash=item33b038013f:g:~lMAAOSwLnlWnn7R

Hahahahhahha what a BS. This made my day.

"Investor Bundle". 

"If you understand the nature of investing in Lego and know your sets you will realise the potential returns of these new, sealed and retired sets." 

Who is in guys? Come on, you are all investors, aren't you?

Woah! First time on this forum feeling better being a collector than an investor

:D

31 minutes ago, inversion said:

It actually reminds me of those Ponzi scheme advertisers, who scam people for money. Why would an actual investor not buy stuff himself or get told to buy these? It is absolutely aimed at clueless people. Some nutjob can lose serious money buying this. Anyway, if you are stupid enough not to check the individual market value of these sets then you honestly deserve it.

That's about 9-10k USD worth of sets at current values?

9 minutes ago, wobbl87 said:

im glad im not the only one watching the insane prices. You can buy sets from lego for nearly half the price! who buys these over priced sets. I wanted a opened ecto but theyre still more than buying new!

Convenience/Laziness/Cluelessness in varying %. Also,  if you don´t have a credit card, need urgent delivery or live outside Lego SAH´s delivery network then it´s the only way to go.

1 hour ago, inversion said:

It's not the amount that makes it funny, but the description that's coming with it.

What´s missing is a link in the ad to the Telegraph article on investing and how 10179 as gone 10xrrp.

2 hours ago, inversion said:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEGO-Star-Wars-1-x-10179-5-x-10188-Batman-3-x-76023-1-x-5004950-BTTF-3-x-21103-/221999792447?hash=item33b038013f:g:~lMAAOSwLnlWnn7R

Hahahahhahha what a BS. This made my day.

"Investor Bundle". 

"If you understand the nature of investing in Lego and know your sets you will realise the potential returns of these new, sealed and retired sets." 

Who is in guys? Come on, you are all investors, aren't you?

I saw these listings the other day when i was keeping an eye on 10188 prices. Is this nutter for real?

Fortunately the price "should" avoid any innocent people getting stung

I hope the ~60 watchers are all BP members, otherwise what on earth are people thinking?!

This is the same guy with a listing of 5x 10188 for £4k

Doesn't seem to have much Lego related feedback on his profile...

Anyone tried lo-ball offers on this person? Anyone up for some coordinated victimisation? :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seal Cutter said:

I saw these listings the other day when i was keeping an eye on 10188 prices. Is this nutter for real?

Fortunately the price "should" avoid any innocent people getting stung

I hope the ~60 watchers are all BP members, otherwise what on earth are people thinking?!

This is the same guy with a listing of 5x 10188 for £4k

Doesn't seem to have much Lego related feedback on his profile...

Anyone tried lo-ball offers on this person? Anyone up for some coordinated victimisation? :D

He is also selling Winter Soldier for €60. That's about 4x the market price.

Playing a bit of devil's advocate: 

I actually read the whole add.... Right near the top he says low ballers will be auto declined. He does have OBO on his listing though. A 16k pricetag is a big bold number, these things attract people's curiosity... that's his click bait. He's surely not anticipating getting his asking price, he's looking for offers from Investors. Not suggesting his prices aren't still too high, but just sayin', he's not looking or going to get 16k for that bundle. 

I price all my OBO listings similarly. Mark it up ~20% over what you want to take home, so that once the bartering starts, it levels off at your intended price. It's worked very well for me thus far. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Zelgazra said:

Playing a bit of devil's advocate: 

I actually read the whole add.... Right near the top he says low ballers will be auto declined. He does have OBO on his listing though. A 16k pricetag is a big bold number, these things attract people's curiosity... that's his click bait. He's surely not anticipating getting his asking price, he's looking for offers from Investors. Not suggesting his prices aren't still too high, but just sayin', he's not looking or going to get 16k for that bundle. 

I price all my OBO listings similarly. Mark it up ~20% over what you want to take home, so that once the bartering starts, it levels off at your intended price. It's worked very well for me thus far. 

20% off is still £12.8k.... a lot of money for that bundle. unless he considers 50% off still a good deal...

I can't seem to quote myself... 

"20 Minutes ago Zelgazra said: "Not suggesting his prices aren't still too high, but just sayin', he's not looking or going to get 16k for that bundle."

On an unrelated note, I just had a funny Bricklink Fruitcake experience. From a seller, not a buyer. Placed an order last night of some fairly common parts, plus a couple of minifig pieces I needed to complete some stuff from bulk lots. Nothing large, from my inspection of the list, nothing 'oversized' that would kill the 2cm rule, so I was expecting a shipping quote of around $5-6 for a bubble mailer to Canada. Invoice came in this morning, shipping charges $10 US. It felt too high so I asked about it. 

The reply I got: "Way too thick of a package for letter, you ordered a lot of parts which are in one bag and is probably a couple inches thick. It would get returned right away."

I followed up with "That sounds like the manner of packaging is the problem, not the bricks in my order. If you can’t be bothered to sort it out into smaller bundles and level it off to 2cm that’s no problem, I’ll keep shopping then."

He promptly cancelled my order. Lol! Every other bricklink seller I've dealt with sees it as common sense to try and take advantage of the 2cm rule. Are the USPS rates raised so much that people can't be bothered anymore? Or was this guy just genuinely a lazy seller?

3 minutes ago, TargetZero said:

Just won a short auction on ebay. town hall for 150$, new seller, 150CDN and like 5$ shipping. used...

Ahhhhh i wish it's not a scam and i wont see my money for about 1 month.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/262280385525?_trksid=p2057872.m2748.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

and it's 144$ CDN

Maybe it's just the newbie seller... but you ordered a USED product with a STOCK photo. Be weary. I wouldn't pay yet if that's an option. Ask for some legit photos of the product being sold. Maybe their dog barfed on it or something, hence the price and lack of photos. 

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/LEGO-Creator-Town-Hall-10224-/161971801394?hash=item25b6458d32:m:mf3lT24rnUHH7LyoMF9TRgg

here an other new sold for 208$CDN... quick auction like maybe waht 1mins. new seller. same or almost same description.

that's all scam I am 100% sur, didn't shoot me photos, because he said hes co worker was packaging it. bull ****. I didnt pay for it at this time, he entered a bullshit tracking number using USPS, god sakes were in canada.

what are the chance that 2 sellers sols 2 townhall for those price in the same day at 2hours of difference.... damn i hate loser scammer chiness. you click see other items, and shows counterfaith minifigs coming from china. they are so stupid. had ot bid on it.. but after talking to him.. all bullshit i am 99% sur cannot gives photos. and now this other townhall yeah right

I have a good one for you guys, I buy a used lot of Star Wars sets a couple weeks back for $140 and the seller told me he sent them but never sent a tracking number so it became fishy especially after he stops replying to my messages. A week goes by and I open a case against him and still no reply so eBay sides with me and I get my money back but here's the kicker..... He relists them with stupid expensive shippings costs..... Sounds like someone had sellers remorse but handled it like a total @sshat, here's one of the items that I bought a couple weeks back lol. 

http://m.ebay.com/itm/172090462043?_mwBanner=1&ul_noapp=true

Edited by California92563
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, California92563 said:

I have a good one for you guys, I buy a used lot of Star Wars sets a couple weeks back for $140 and the seller told me he sent them but never sent a tracking number so it became fishy especially after he stops replying to my messages. A week goes by and I open a case against him and still no reply so eBay sides with me and I get my money back but here's the kicker..... He relists them with stupid expensive shippings costs..... Sounds like someone had sellers remorse but handled it like a total @sshat, here's one of the items that I bought a couple weeks back lol. 

http://m.ebay.com/itm/172090462043?_mwBanner=1&ul_noapp=true

$20+$63.90 shipping! ha  Bad sale + stupid relist = Double Fruitcake.

• Like 1

Not Ebay, but wanted to share this with you guys. It's crazy... an auction for the architecture Big Ben set, currently highest bid is €110,- (see here) plus 9% auction costs plus €6,95 shipping. Current total: €126,85. Bids are legally binding. 

Screen Shot 2016-02-08 at 16.56.14

That same set is still available on Shop @ Home for €30,- (see here). 

Curious if an even higher bid will be placed. 2 days to go. I think the bids came from people who thought it was a large set (pictures don't make clear it's only small) and that it's really exclusive and rare. They apparently didn't do any research before bidding. 

17 hours ago, Zelgazra said:

He promptly cancelled my order. Lol! Every other bricklink seller I've dealt with sees it as common sense to try and take advantage of the 2cm rule. Are the USPS rates raised so much that people can't be bothered anymore? Or was this guy just genuinely a lazy seller?

Are you sure you are talking about US and not some other country?  There is no "2cm rule" for us.  And yes the recent USPS rate increases are insane.  Canada is lucky that the rate only went up to ~$9.  Every other country is ~$13 minimum now.  The only bright side is that rate is good up to 8oz (~200g of parts) so you can get a decent amount of Lego for it.  

17 hours ago, Zelgazra said:

I can't seem to quote myself... 

"20 Minutes ago Zelgazra said: "Not suggesting his prices aren't still too high, but just sayin', he's not looking or going to get 16k for that bundle."

On an unrelated note, I just had a funny Bricklink Fruitcake experience. From a seller, not a buyer. Placed an order last night of some fairly common parts, plus a couple of minifig pieces I needed to complete some stuff from bulk lots. Nothing large, from my inspection of the list, nothing 'oversized' that would kill the 2cm rule, so I was expecting a shipping quote of around $5-6 for a bubble mailer to Canada. Invoice came in this morning, shipping charges $10 US. It felt too high so I asked about it. 

The reply I got: "Way too thick of a package for letter, you ordered a lot of parts which are in one bag and is probably a couple inches thick. It would get returned right away."

I followed up with "That sounds like the manner of packaging is the problem, not the bricks in my order. If you can’t be bothered to sort it out into smaller bundles and level it off to 2cm that’s no problem, I’ll keep shopping then."

That's why I gave up buying from Bricklink. I only charge actual shipping on there but it seems like everyone else is using it as a bait and switch with shipping prices that are 4X what they should be. I had one guy send me a bill for a polybag being shipped first class and he tried to charge me $7 for shipping. I told him to cancel it and I found on on ebay