Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

Had a fruitcake today, but stayed nice, and we had a good laugh.

I offer free shipping on all my BINs.  They emailed and asked if they bought two of this particular item, if I would combine shipping.  I replied back that, since I offer free shipping, I'd be happy to extend that offer no matter how many they were interested in.

They replied back with "duh! I should have noticed that, thanks."

Of course, I haven't seen them buy it yet.  :mda:

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

Had a fruitcake today, but stayed nice, and we had a good laugh.

I offer free shipping on all my BINs.  They emailed and asked if they bought two of this particular item, if I would combine shipping.  I replied back that, since I offer free shipping, I'd be happy to extend that offer no matter how many they were interested in.

They replied back with "duh! I should have noticed that, thanks."

Of course, I haven't seen them buy it yet.  :mda:

Sounds more like a gumdrop than a whole fruitcake

• Like 1

Need feedback advice...

buyer left negative feedback but marked it positive.  They indicated disappointment that I am a super slow shipper.

I ship next business day or better as my handling time which I more than complied with.  USPS instead took 8 days to ship first class which is the actual issue.

Sent buyer nice note about it but have not heard back.

any tips?

23 minutes ago, trstnkn said:

Need feedback advice...

buyer left negative feedback but marked it positive.  They indicated disappointment that I am a super slow shipper.

I ship next business day or better as my handling time which I more than complied with.  USPS instead took 8 days to ship first class which is the actual issue.

any tips?

yes eBay buyers who leave negative feedback as positive are in violation of the process and you can have the feedback removed

• Like 1

On January 13, 2016 at 7:07 PM, trstnkn said:

Need feedback advice...

any tips?

Id let it go, it's still positive isn't it? ;) plus depending how many feedback comments you get per let's say week/month....if you get a lot, the feedback in question will get buried with new ones fast, so nobody will ever read it, and it doesn't stick out like red/negative feedback..... 

Greetings,
My name is Sean London & I am a 100% retired permanent disabled veteran & use Lego for physical therapy. I also run a Lego group of other disabled veterans with the VA. We have been operating since Feb 2014 under the name CODA (Can-do Opportunities for Disabled Americans)

This is an unfunded pilot program & we rely on donations to keep it going. Right now our available funds are extremely low (post holidays) & this kit is the groups #1 request.

Today, I am respectfully reaching out to you to ask what your lowest price you may consider (or maybe donate it to the group) for your auction which I will be donating to the group. Please know we have a strict "no-resell" policy & in no way profit.

I am happy to provide proof of my disability status should you wish.

If this is something you may graciously decide to accept, please let me know.

TYVM for your consideration. All my best to you & yours.

Sean

Of course I will donate the set. Because I totally believe this.

It is sad to see this done in the name of disabled people, veteran or not.

37 minutes ago, dinner41 said:

Greetings,
My name is Sean London & I am a 100% retired permanent disabled veteran & use Lego for physical therapy. I also run a Lego group of other disabled veterans with the VA. We have been operating since Feb 2014 under the name CODA (Can-do Opportunities for Disabled Americans)

This is an unfunded pilot program & we rely on donations to keep it going. Right now our available funds are extremely low (post holidays) & this kit is the groups #1 request.

Today, I am respectfully reaching out to you to ask what your lowest price you may consider (or maybe donate it to the group) for your auction which I will be donating to the group. Please know we have a strict "no-resell" policy & in no way profit.

I am happy to provide proof of my disability status should you wish.

If this is something you may graciously decide to accept, please let me know.

TYVM for your consideration. All my best to you & yours.

Sean

Last time I got this scam I asked the guy for his phone number and full information, then emailed the actual company the entire information of the happening.

received an 8010 NISB with a slight blemish on the box. seller didnt specify that i will get a free wifebeater as a bonus with that. packaging by some ebay sellers never stops to amuse me. regardless the item arrived as described at half price of what these go for nowadays, with a freebie. 

_20160122_120559.thumb.JPG.f67a90e009bda

Edited by jerryherb
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, jerryherb said:

received an 8010 NISB with a slight blemish on the box. seller didnt specify that i will get a free wifebeater as a bonus with that. packaging by some ebay sellers never stops to amuse me. regardless the item arrived as described at half price of what these go for nowadays, with a freebie. 

_20160122_120559.thumb.JPG.f67a90e009bda

Good thing they didn't throw in a 6 pack of Pabst blue ribbon as well :crazy:

Edited by California92563
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jerryherb said:

The dude literally sold you the shirt off his back. I'd give him a hundred positive feedbacks if possible.

• Like 2

I am nominating myself for the fruitcake on eBay award.  Last weekend, I accidentally listed a Poe's X-Wing w/ no minifigures for $7.99 w/ free shipping...oops.  Needless to say, the listing sold within 1/2 hour of posting, so I never had the opportunity to catch my mistake.  I wound up honoring the sale and shipped the set at a significant loss. It actually COST me money since the shipping exceeded my $7.99 sale price!  Hopefully the seller actually leaves me positive feedback...

Git your X-Wings here!  Only $7.99 shipped!

150904l-lego-star-wars-75102-poes-x-wing

• Like 9

22 minutes ago, Quacs said:

TI am nominating myself for the fruitcake on eBay award.  Last weekend, I accidentally listed a Poe's X-Wing w/ no minifigures for $7.99 w/ free shipping...oops.  Needless to say, the listing sold within 1/2 hour of posting, so I never had the opportunity to catch my mistake.  I wound up honoring the sale and shipped the set at a significant loss. It actually COST me money since the shipping exceeded my $7.99 sale price!  Hopefully the seller actually leaves me positive feedback...

Git your X-Wings here!  Only $7.99 shipped!

150904l-lego-star-wars-75102-poes-x-wing

Try listing a Chima Speedorz for 79.99 last thing at night - maybe some drunk will buy it and you will have erased the loss. Karma works both ways.

• Like 3

-easy on the drunks....   i once bought 5 pieces of artwork by the same artist during a late night feeling good drinking splurge....    only to sell 4 of them over the next few

weeks (most at cost, a few at a bit of a loss) to recoupe some of my bucks....     - much easier to spend when you have the $$$ sitting in your paypal account.

-happy Friday people.....  pp

On 1/18/2016 at 10:19 AM, Gonkalin said:

So anyone know what I should do here? I'm assuming the package shipped to his door. Now it's possible someone stole it from his door or he could be trying to get a free set from me. Luckily it was a used set that sold for $40. So not the end of the world here. And I don't want to jeopardize my feedback record. Have I done my part here? If a item is left on his porch because he buys something without a way for USPS to secure the item is that my problem? Would Ebay back me up if he files a claim against me? I just don't trust this guy. He's very quick to point out all the reasons a package might not get delivered and he's using examples that just aren't true. 

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks all.

Any update on this? I've had 2 alleged porch thefts so far in selling. From what I understand, you've done your part in selling/shipping. If the tracking says Delivered, USPS will most likely also claim they have done their part and it's now considered theft from his/her property that would fall under homeowners insurance.

In your case, I'm hoping you got a message that it showed up a day later, but I have a feeling that didn't happen. :|

Edited by lodibricks

So the buyer was a great communicator but he was so quick to point all these reasons why the shipping was done wrong that I was very suspicious. I called the USPS on Dr. King day and actually got someone in Colorado to pick up. They informed me that the package was delivered to a secured mailbox. Meaning that someone needed some kind of key to access the mail room or the mail box. Basically they said the package wasn't just left out on the front porch (I didn't tell the buyer that I had this nugget of info in my back pocket). USPS said I needed to call the branch that delivered the package the following day. So I informed the buyer that I was going to contact the post office the next day. The next day the buyer contacted me saying that he called the post office and they said that the package was delivered to the wrong address and they were trying to track it down. He informed me that I had done my part and worst case scenario the USPS insurance would cover it if it was mis-delivered. Then a few hours later the buyer send me photos of the model. He said he got the package and he thanked me for packing it so well. He said that I did everything to the book as a seller. He left positive feedback and I did the same for him. So happy ending here. 

• Like 2

I know there are plenty of good postal workers out there....  but as of late, i would say its probably fair to say they are overworked and under staffed.   I have been

shipping various items for 20 years and its only changed (for the worse) in the past 3 to 4 years.    I don't know if you have ever filed a claim with the post office, but

you have to jump through so many hoops its not even worth it.   (the few times i tried, i still did not get my money back)      - so at this point, I go with my gut and cost

of the item i am selling.   -i very rarely pay for insurance ( but i know how to pack ) , so if its expensive, i make sure i get a signature ($100+)  < less than that, i just ship.

More post office woes....  i recently sent something out, they said delivered etc based on tracking.    Buyer, whom I trusted, said he lived in a great area, nothing ever stolen etc...  

i called and bitched (nicely, i might add) to the postal manager in his area.   Most folks don't know it, but the mail persons scanners have a longitude and latitude tracker on

them.    They looked it up where it was delivered and the mail person was 4-5 blocks out of the area where they were suppose to be.   Now the postal manager also said, they often will scan all their items at one spot to make it quicker when they deliver, but that was wrong, and she proably should not have told me that.... lol.       I too have had

albums delivered to me that never got here... i reviewed our cameras, no albums dropped off that day according to the dvr, yet they never show up!   ( who the hell

kept my Stranglers albums!!!!?  lol )          we used to have a regular mail guy, but he must have retired, now, i get guys dressed in street cloths delivering sometimes... so

i know they are understaffed.       I look at it this way.... if i had insured every packaged i ever shipped, i would have easily spent an extra 5k on insurance, so losing  a hundered bucks here and there is just part of doing business...   lol...      pp

14 minutes ago, plastic passion said:

I know there are plenty of good postal workers out there....  but as of late, i would say its probably fair to say they are overworked and under staffed.   I have been

shipping various items for 20 years and its only changed (for the worse) in the past 3 to 4 years.    I don't know if you have ever filed a claim with the post office, but

you have to jump through so many hoops its not even worth it.   (the few times i tried, i still did not get my money back)      - so at this point, I go with my gut and cost

of the item i am selling.   -i very rarely pay for insurance ( but i know how to pack ) , so if its expensive, i make sure i get a signature ($100+)  < less than that, i just ship.

More post office woes....  i recently sent something out, they said delivered etc based on tracking.    Buyer, whom I trusted, said he lived in a great area, nothing ever stolen etc...  

i called and bitched (nicely, i might add) to the postal manager in his area.   Most folks don't know it, but the mail persons scanners have a longitude and latitude tracker on

them.    They looked it up where it was delivered and the mail person was 4-5 blocks out of the area where they were suppose to be.   Now the postal manager also said, they often will scan all their items at one spot to make it quicker when they deliver, but that was wrong, and she proably should not have told me that.... lol.       I too have had

albums delivered to me that never got here... i reviewed our cameras, no albums dropped off that day according to the dvr, yet they never show up!   ( who the hell

kept my Stranglers albums!!!!?  lol )          we used to have a regular mail guy, but he must have retired, now, i get guys dressed in street cloths delivering sometimes... so

i know they are understaffed.       I look at it this way.... if i had insured every packaged i ever shipped, i would have easily spent an extra 5k on insurance, so losing  a hundered bucks here and there is just part of doing business...   lol...      pp

Your whitespace usage is so distracting I gave up trying to read that.

Hello, I am not sure if this is the right place to post this but here it goes. Is it ok to sell big ticket items ($500+) on ebay right off the bat? I have not sold anything on ebay as of yet, so I'm worried about seller feedback and being scammed by buyers. Are there any stories around here of how people started selling on ebay?

Hello, I am not sure if this is the right place to post this but here it goes. Is it ok to sell big ticket items ($500+) on ebay right off the bat? I have not sold anything on ebay as of yet, so I'm worried about seller feedback and being scammed by buyers. Are there any stories around here of how people started selling on ebay?

This is not the correct thread to be asking this question. This thread is more for humor and not advice giving. You will need to read other post and look at post from a long time ago for some advice on starting up topics. I would not sell a $500 item right now, my guess is that you are trying to sell at 10188 death star, I would recommend starting small and not selling a large set, you will be seen as a scam to other buyers. For tips and stories on starting put, you will need to read older posts from other threads.

-true, if you have not sold or purchased anything on ebay, you really should build up your rating ( i would say to at least 30-40 ) before trying to sell a $500 item.   Buy a bunch of garbage for cheap and make sure you ask the sellers for positive feedback.    Also, I am pretty sure ebay will hold your funds for 12 days to make sure the transaction went smoothly (something to think about for the new sellers)      Lastly,  you will lose 12.5% in selling fees of the purchase price (and that goes for shipping also)  (make sure you know how much it will cost to ship that oversized box and add it into your selling price (if offering free shipping) or make sure your are charging enough in general.    pp

I posted 6 of the dark pearl grey sheild parts for the Batpod, split from 2 of the BREEZ flea machine sets i found in TRU last week, for sale ebay yesterday. Only one other seller seemed to have them posted on the UK site. Had a nosey at their ad out of curiosity and went about posting a few more sets.

This evening i received the following message about the add: "These are black, not dark pearl grey. Someone buying this will be very upset. I think you better amend the description."

The user name seem familiar and after a few seconds I remembered that this is the other guy selling the same parts. I checked the photos on my ad to see if the lighting looked bad or if they really did look black. I asked my Girlfriend what colour she thought they were and she said "Dark Grey?".

This really F´d me off and I went looking through this guys feed back to see what kind of character he is. His feed back was questionable to say the least. A lot of "positive" feedback telling that he´s dishonest, opening cases for non delivery etc. Then I checked the feedback he left; my god what, what an angry, abusive cretin this guy is!

I finally replied to his message with this:

Hi
Thank you for your concern regarding the description of the LEGO parts i have for sale and your suggestion that I "better amend the description". I would suggest that you look at the photos again. Items are as described. Short of proof of temporary colour blindness, I would appreciate that you do not accuse me of false advertising.
Kind Regards

So, instant block!!

• Like 2