Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

Hello dear BPs

I am pretty new selling on ebay, has I was more stacking than other selling few time here and there on kijiji and doing trades etc. but buying buying buying.

I've sold 2 lego  sets, I ship only in can and US, but a dude from sweden just bough a lego from me. Guy is a new member with 0 feedback. 

Been sold for two days, no news of him, don't answer, and no paiement is done. What should I do? I only have couple of reviews for selling, but everything fine so far.

Have an other dude who account was created in 2012, but never bough anything on ebay, now he bough a 75054 from me. And paiment is on hold because of echeck. I am waiting for it to clear. But is it ok to ship to new ebayers? Is there a fraud going on? I mean gotta start somewhere.

I'll film myself putting box (showing seals and condition of box) in the post office, sealing it with clear adress shown on the video and given it to the post office dude. I protect myself this way?

Edited by TargetZero

Send an automated payment request if not done already and a polite reminder PM. If no reply, you should file a no payment claim on Ebay after 4 days and then close it to get a commissions refund after a week if payment hasn´t been made - the buyer will get a defect.

Even videoing the box may not protect you if payment is by Paypal and the buyer files a SNAD claim.

30 minutes ago, valenciaeric said:

Send an automated payment request if not done already and a polite reminder PM. If no reply, you should file a no payment claim on Ebay after 4 days and then close it to get a commissions refund after a week if payment hasn´t been made - the buyer will get a defect.

Even videoing the box may not protect you if payment is by Paypal and the buyer files a SNAD claim.

wut? I mean on ebay it's only paypal... and he can open a case for item not has decribed from paypal and not from ebay? I mean what protection we have. I mean if the paypal's worker is smart enough .. he will see the abuse. Fraud must don't be that often, but I don't want to start this with a double punch,

55 minutes ago, TargetZero said:

Hello dear BPs

I am pretty new selling on ebay, has I was more stacking than other selling few time here and there on kijiji and doing trades etc. but buying buying buying.

I've sold 2 lego  sets, I ship only in can and US, but a dude from sweden just bough a lego from me. Guy is a new member with 0 feedback. 

Been sold for two days, no news of him, don't answer, and no paiement is done. What should I do? I only have couple of reviews for selling, but everything fine so far.

Have an other dude who account was created in 2012, but never bough anything on ebay, now he bough a 75054 from me. And paiment is on hold because of echeck. I am waiting for it to clear. But is it ok to ship to new ebayers? Is there a fraud going on? I mean gotta start somewhere.

I'll film myself putting box (showing seals and condition of box) in the post office, sealing it with clear adress shown on the video and given it to the post office dude. I protect myself this way?

With first time buyers it sometimes helps to send them a message asking if they have had trouble checking out and politely giving them a written walkthrough, Then I ask if they have decided against the purchase and give them the option to cancel. This way I can either make the sale and they are grateful for the help, perhaps giving some leeway if problems arise, or maybe better, they cancel and I don't have to send my box out into the ether and sit hoping it arrives.

Making sure you add in excellent postage insurance to the invoice you send them to cover yourself too.

Edited by elkolonel
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, TargetZero said:

wut? I mean on ebay it's only paypal... and he can open a case for item not has decribed from paypal and not from ebay? I mean what protection we have. I mean if the paypal's worker is smart enough .. he will see the abuse. Fraud must don't be that often, but I don't want to start this with a double punch,

sad but true... first PP commandment : buyer goood, seller baaad --> money back (if item is sent back). There is always the possibility of the buyer filing a SNAD and PP will transfer the money back!

7 minutes ago, elkolonel said:

With first time buyers it sometimes helps to send them a message asking if they have had trouble checking out and politely giving them a written walkthrough, Then I ask if they have decided against the purchase and give them the option to cancel. This way I can either make the sale and they are grateful for the help, perhaps giving some leeway if problems arise, or maybe better, they cancel and I don't have to send my box out into the ether and sit hoping it arrives.

Making sure you add in excellent postage insurance to the invoice you send them to cover yourself too.

Just the thing I did, offered help since he's new, asked him if he wanted to cancel,they was no problem at all.. etc etc

If you were going to scam someone, would you pick on an experienced vendor or one who has just started out?

In any case, first I´d worry first about actully getting paid before what might happen afterwards - it´s more common for a buyer to have remorse and pull out of the deal without paying than for them to scam the seller.

If you use paypal then it´s best to enable the option to insist on payment to close the sale then you don´t have to claim back commissions and relist, losing a week in the process.

However, some sellers prefer not to use that option so as to be able to vet buyers first.

7 minutes ago, valenciaeric said:

If you were going to scam someone, would you pick on an experienced vendor or one who has just started out?

In any case, first I´d worry first about actully getting paid before what might happen afterwards - it´s more common for a buyer to have remorse and pull out of the deal without paying than for them to scam the seller.

If you use paypal then it´s best to enable the option to insist on payment to close the sale then you don´t have to claim back commissions and relist, losing a week in the process.

However, some sellers prefer not to use that option so as to be able to vet buyers first.

I would pick a new vendor, but maybe choose more likely what I would scam? i mean one is a AT-AT.. paiement been made but on hold, so i am waiting, second .. it's the 76041 

10 minutes ago, Ensche said:

sad but true... first PP commandment : buyer goood, seller baaad --> money back (if item is sent back). There is always the possibility of the buyer filing a SNAD and PP will transfer the money back!

Ok so I guess filming myself for expensive item is not a bad idea after if the item doesnt come back like it was, or not the same

True, the goods aren´t high value so it may well be buyer incomptence or remorse. If you send them a message and they don´t reply then it´s probably remorse so best to file a no pay and ebay will remind them again and you can move on.One thing I do is to check their recent purchases as maybe they found it cheaper from another seller.

The video is nice but it has been discussed before here that PP have their own ways of evaulating cases and the video does not prove that someone didn´t sub the package for another one aftwerwards or do some other dastardly deed. You could always leave your paypal account at 0 and remove any link to a credit card or bank account for 45 days to avoid a chargeback but for these amounts of money, it is probably not worth it.

Edited by valenciaeric

I need some advice. I ship a package by FedEx on Monday. Buyer contact me today he did not get his item. I checked the tracking show it was delivered yesterday but receiver refuse and FedEx took it back today. I ask the buyer to confirm the address and no reply. I am thinking what if i receive some mega block instead of Lego in the return, am i out of luck?     

26 minutes ago, LegoEdison said:

I need some advice. I ship a package by FedEx on Monday. Buyer contact me today he did not get his item. I checked the tracking show it was delivered yesterday but receiver refuse and FedEx took it back today. I ask the buyer to confirm the address and no reply. I am thinking what if i receive some mega block instead of Lego in the return, am i out of luck?     

I sell on eBay occasionally. I used to do it more (buying and reselling electronics). If I am correct, the ONLY way that the carrier will accept a refused package is if it is sealed. If they open the box, they won't take it back. You should be fine. It may be buyers remorse. I guess it is possible they could open it and retape it. If that happens, you are probably out of luck. Keep us posted!

Edited by bigboy61
  • Like 2

Buyer purchased a pair of sets from me over the weekend.  Both around $180.  Low feedback score.  I went ahead and packed them up and shipped them out via FedEx this morning.  I received an email just now from ebay:

eBay listings removed - unauthorized user of buyer or bidder account

We had to cancel bids and purchases on the following item(s) for the buyer (removed), because they were made without the account owner's permission.

I called FedEx immediately and put a hold on the shipment so I should have the sets back in my possession later today.  The order on eBay does not appear to be cancelled yet. The funds are still in Paypal.  I'm planning to call eBay to have them walk me through the proper steps to handle this.  

Anything I should look out for or ask them about when dealing with this type of situation?  Should I call Paypal separately?  Thanks.

17 minutes ago, BrickLegacy said:

Buyer purchased a pair of sets from me over the weekend.  Both around $180.  Low feedback score.  I went ahead and packed them up and shipped them out via FedEx this morning.  I received an email just now from ebay:

We had to cancel bids and purchases on the following item(s) for the buyer (removed), because they were made without the account owner's permission.

I called FedEx immediately and put a hold on the shipment so I should have the sets back in my possession later today.  The order on eBay does not appear to be cancelled yet. The funds are still in Paypal.  I'm planning to call eBay to have them walk me through the proper steps to handle this.  

Anything I should look out for or ask them about when dealing with this type of situation?  Should I call Paypal separately?  Thanks.

Sounds like a typical case of "kid used parent's computer to order something, because parent was dumb enough to leave account open" .... :) I have no advice to give though, but I'd think that as long as you have the sets back in your hands, ebay would take care of the rest (including reversing the Paypal fees) - in the end it is eBay who retracted this sale on behalf of the buyer.

45 minutes ago, BrickLegacy said:

You'll have to refund the payment through PayPal if the listing was removed by ebay and still showing in your PayPal account. No need to call ebay or PayPal honestly. Just refund the payment once you get your sets back. The buyer can't do anything to your eBay account with a removed listing

So I need some advice here. And as a note, I have perfect feedback with around 400 transactions. I know what I'm doing and I ship items well packed and I have a digital scale I use for shipping items to check weight. I sent the item USPS first class with NO signature confirmation.

I just sent a used midi millennium falcon to a Ebay buyer. The order came in as sold and paid and I shipped the item within a few hours using ebay/USPS first class mail. The item is shown as shipped/delivered. The buyer contacted me saying that he doesn't have the item and asked if I sent it in a box or a envelope. 

Here was his note: 

I was wondering if you mailed the item in box or bubble envelope. I check online, and it said the package was delivered inside my mail box. Do you know what size and weight of package. That way, I can ask USPS where the package since it does not fix in my mailbox and it was not left at my front porch.

So I informed the guy that the box was 11 x 8 x 4 and weighed about 2 pounds.

Here was his response...

Thank You for the package measurements. This package would not fit in my mailbox. I have a small letter mailbox.

Maybe, on Tuesday. I will get the package. I will let you know when I get it.

So I asked the guy how he gets packages if all he has is a envelope box. Here was his response...

Usually if the package does not fit in the mailbox. Either the postman will leave a note. Then I take the USPS note to closest USPS facility. Show ID and pick up the package. If I am home, usually the USPS mailman will see my car, nock on the door and leave the package by my front porch door. But sometimes, the USPS website info is either wrong or I get the package the next. Either way, I will keep you posted. Have a good day.

So I said we would cross our fingers. Then later in the day he sends me this note...

Lately, for some reason. Any packages sent with EBAY postage wither get (1) LOST, (2) Do not have the correct postage for the weight & size of package or (3) I do not get the package at all and I have to call USPS to find out what is going on.

Sometimes, when the EBAY SELLER puts a EBAY / PAYPAL shipping label. The package might not have enough postage on it to send to the EBAY BUYER. The package gets HOLD somewhere till the additional postage is PAID. Either by the EBAY SELLER or EBAY Buyer. 

That is usually what happens. Or the package gets send back to the ORIGINAL person that mailed the package.

So anyone know what I should do here? I'm assuming the package shipped to his door. Now it's possible someone stole it from his door or he could be trying to get a free set from me. Luckily it was a used set that sold for $40. So not the end of the world here. And I don't want to jeopardize my feedback record. Have I done my part here? If a item is left on his porch because he buys something without a way for USPS to secure the item is that my problem? Would Ebay back me up if he files a claim against me? I just don't trust this guy. He's very quick to point out all the reasons a package might not get delivered and he's using examples that just aren't true. 

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks all.

Not an eBay fruitcake, but still quite flabbergasted about this response to one of my CL listings:

"

What is your obo for this.

"

Just for the record, the listing had no "or best offer" mentioned. So what did this person not get? The fact that I didn't propose best offers, and the fact that a best offer comes from the buyer and not from the seller?. I replied curtly with

"I didn't offer up an obo, but if you have one, let me know what it is."

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Phil B said:

Not an eBay fruitcake, but still quite flabbergasted about this response to one of my CL listings:

"

What is your obo for this.

"

Just for the record, the listing had no "or best offer" mentioned. So what did this person not get? The fact that I didn't propose best offers, and the fact that a best offer comes from the buyer and not from the seller?. I replied curtly with

"I didn't offer up an obo, but if you have one, let me know what it is."

Your response will just encourage them.  If you didn't want to take an OBO in the first place, why did you suggest it?  Standard response would be something like "Thanks for your inquiry, the price for this item is shown in the listing."

16 minutes ago, DadsAFOL said:

Your response will just encourage them.  If you didn't want to take an OBO in the first place, why did you suggest it?  Standard response would be something like "Thanks for your inquiry, the price for this item is shown in the listing."

When I post on CL I know I'm going to get best offers, even if I don't mention it (unless I mention "firm price"). So if they want to offer me something, I'm happy to listen. I typically have a bit of play in my pricing so I can give some - this was a slow moving listing anyways so happy to hear if they want to shave off a few bucks if that still meets my threshold. The *facepalm* is more on the whole asking me for what I think the best offer is, which is just absurd.

7 hours ago, Phil B said:

When I post on CL I know I'm going to get best offers, even if I don't mention it (unless I mention "firm price"). So if they want to offer me something, I'm happy to listen. I typically have a bit of play in my pricing so I can give some - this was a slow moving listing anyways so happy to hear if they want to shave off a few bucks if that still meets my threshold. The *facepalm* is more on the whole asking me for what I think the best offer is, which is just absurd.

I sold a few things on Craigslist. It was kind of irritating when they asked me what my best offer was. On another note, what really irritates me is all those shipping scams. Its so annoying! Its just like these people troll craigslist all the time! Its usually " is (insert the actual FULL total) still available? If so what condition?" Or something like that (even though you mentioned the condition in the description.) Trolls....

Edited by bigboy61