Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

Most of my listings offer free economy shipping. I've been getting a few messages in the last couple of days. The typical " What can you do to get it here by Christmas and I'll pay extra!!?" question. I ask for their zip to be shipped to. All of them are far enough away that Priority Mail  will be in the $30-$60+ extra range with no guarantee it'd arrive by the 24th. Being a nice guy I plug their zip into the get rates box and then search for the item they want and sort by distance. I find similar listings not that much more in price very close to them that regular shipping  probably would get it on time. A definite yes with Priority. I pass the info along and have yet to get a thank you. Merry Christmas...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, remy1492 said:

just pictures of those VERY bent thick parts.  No box photos as he knows there is no chance of a Return due to being on an island or S.America likely.  Instead they want cash back.  They never noted they used a reshipper, I know they are omitting this on purpose and feel its slightly dishonest judging by all their purchase history on Ebay.

I worked in molding, plastics machinery etc... and to bend the plastic on a reinforced LEGO part that thick is easily a  hundred pounds of force.  Im venturing it was run over by a truck.  I came across this thread in searching: http://community.ebay.com/t5/Archive-Selling/Buyer-trying-to-scam-me/td-p/22800149/highlight/true  I feel for them, but In the end, the buyer can buy international and pay full international shipping with insurance from an Ebay seller who does that, if they opt for a CONUS shipping and no chance of insurance they accept the risk of cheaper stuff but no recourse.  The buyer knows the risk and game theyre playing with a courier/reshipper.  

I lived in Bulgaria a while, and have been deployed to remote a@@ whateverISTAN bases and Ive seen boxes smashed to bits upon arrival or stuff obviously stolen. such is the game when a box leaves the Shire.

What part of Bulgaria? Some of my best friends are from Stara Zagora. We went over there a couple years ago, was awesome, of course having a personal English speaking tour guide with a car certainly helped. One thing, never try to "keep up with" Eastern Europeans 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

The number of return requests is increasing this year as buyers are more comfortable with the return policy.  I see this number increasing next year with the new 30 days return requirement for TRP discounts.  

Just something to think about, especially if you are new to selling on the bay :drag:

see: "restocking fees"

8 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

I should have put this on my previous post ;)

"The number of return requests is increasing this year as buyers are more comfortable with the return policy, despite restocking fees"

interesting, i always put a 20% restocking fee on my listings to qualify for the TRP discount. i haven't had a return on ebay in 2 years. this post probably jinxes that tho 

Edited by metsrock507
  • Like 1

I've had this buyer contact me the last few days b/c the Lego Elves for her daughter still has not arrived. It was shipped FedEx Smartpost on 12/14.  She lives on an island off of Washington state accessible only by ferry, I live in NY.  I don't say it i so many words, but if she 100% needed by Christmas she should have paid for faster shipping.  She's asking me how she is going to explain to her daughter why Santa didn't get her this present.  I can't answer that either.

I've had this buyer contact me the last few days b/c the Lego Elves for her daughter still has not arrived. It was shipped FedEx Smartpost on 12/14.  She lives on an island off of Washington state accessible only by ferry, I live in NY.  I don't say it i so many words, but if she 100% needed by Christmas she should have paid for faster shipping.  She's asking me how she is going to explain to her daughter why Santa didn't get her this present.  I can't answer that either.

She could tell her daughter that ALL elves have gone on strike...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, halokiti said:

People arent smart. Most people don't have the... little flame of clarity ...    And younger people are worst...  they want all with nothing. they want big salary without experience. they want it all. they got it so easy, they dont know how things works, and how people can work hard; but enough i am little drunk and can argu with this all night... but when you are a little smarter then average... and things are what they are, and it's a evidance for you... hard to think people don't have the flame

• Like 1

Just received this on Christmas Eve...

I have not received my order you have the wrong address I don't know how that happened my address is XXXXX. 

Apparently she had another address in her eBay/Paypal and to a completely different person in a different state.  It obviously said ship to this address for Seller Protection and from reading this thread I believe I'm covered and she is SOL.  It was ~$22 so it wouldn't break the bank either way, but I kind of feel that it's not my fault/problem.  Still haven't decided how to respond to her....Christmas is softening my heart.

2 hours ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

I have not received my order you have the wrong address I don't know how that happened my address is XXXXX. 

Apparently she had another address in her eBay/Paypal and to a completely different person in a different state.  It obviously said ship to this address for Seller Protection and from reading this thread I believe I'm covered and she is SOL.  It was ~$22 so it wouldn't break the bank either way, but I kind of feel that it's not my fault/problem.  Still haven't decided how to respond to her....Christmas is softening my heart.

If it was me and the item was only 22 bucks I would either replace it for her or refund her money........or not depending on the tone of the email. I know there are people here who would take a hard line against this and I wouldn't blame them. You don't get rich giving stuff away. Do what your conscience tells you what's right.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

It's on her. If she wants her item she can have the person whose address she had it sent to forward it to her. You need to contact eBay so they know what's up, but you should be covered. 

I had had a similar problem when I moved twice in three months where items brick link kept resetting to my old address and I had items going all over the place. I in no way considered the sellers responsible for a problem that was in essence caused by me.

• Like 3

Fellow Brickpickers, check out this crazy transaction with an eBay buyer.  

A customer bought a case of action figures (brand new sealed case, each character individually wrapped) for $155, free shipping. The package was delivered to the customer in Hawaii on Sat Dec 18.  I get a return request stating "Aloha, I just received my item yesterday and we found rat feces all over the inside of the box. It looks like a rat had eaten through the cardboard box and gotten inside there was a hole on the outside it smelled of feces and urine my kids were taken to the hospital and the item was removed from our home. If I could please get an immediate refund so that I may purchase my children a present seeing as this one present that they wanted was taken from our home by the animal control here and the local police. Please respond as soon as possible".

I authorized the return and let them know I was willing to offer a refund once the item was returned. If they were unable to return as already mentioned I needed some documentation from Animal Control, the Police report, or some pics in order to make a case in filing a claim/investigation with the Post Office.

The customer replied back stating "I won't release my daughters medical record. If you call the the Molokai police department they will tell you that they do not release police reports here on island it needs to be done on Maui which is another island. I do not have any pictures as this happened all too fast and my daughters health and safety were more important". 

I never asked this customer for medical records. Since they say the package was disposed of and have nothing to return, I simply want to see some evidence they received a rat-infested package. Their story is hard to believe and since they claim they cannot return the package and will not provide any documentation, I told them they will have to wait and see how this case plays out with eBay.  I already called eBay and they stated "No return, no refund".  I'm not sure if this buyer looked at my feedback or history with eBay but I am a top rated seller, have excellent feedback, and know hot to sell online.  Due to my 10 years of selling experience on eBay, I do not give in to scammers.

• Like 9

Fellow Brickpickers, check out this crazy transaction with an eBay buyer.  

A customer bought a case of action figures (brand new sealed case, each character individually wrapped) for $155, free shipping. The package was delivered to the customer in Hawaii on Sat Dec 18.  I get a return request stating "Aloha, I just received my item yesterday and we found rat feces all over the inside of the box. It looks like a rat had eaten through the cardboard box and gotten inside there was a hole on the outside it smelled of feces and urine my kids were taken to the hospital and the item was removed from our home. If I could please get an immediate refund so that I may purchase my children a present seeing as this one present that they wanted was taken from our home by the animal control here and the local police. Please respond as soon as possible".

I authorized the return and let them know I was willing to offer a refund once the item was returned. If they were unable to return as already mentioned I needed some documentation from Animal Control, the Police report, or some pics in order to make a case in filing a claim/investigation with the Post Office.

The customer replied back stating "I won't release my daughters medical record. If you call the the Molokai police department they will tell you that they do not release police reports here on island it needs to be done on Maui which is another island. I do not have any pictures as this happened all too fast and my daughters health and safety were more important". 

I never asked this customer for medical records. Since they say the package was disposed of and have nothing to return, I simply want to see some evidence they received a rat-infested package. Their story is hard to believe and since they claim they cannot return the package and will not provide any documentation, I told them they will have to wait and see how this case plays out with eBay.  I already called eBay and they stated "No return, no refund".  I'm not sure if this buyer looked at my feedback or history with eBay but I am a top rated seller, have excellent feedback, and know hot to sell online.  Due to my 10 years of selling experience on eBay, I do not give in to scammers.

Holy poop! End of rant

• Like 2