Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

4 hours ago, Migration said:

If shipping hurts that bad stop offering it up for free. eBay offers a calculated shipping option, use it. It will even charge the buyer full price while you get a discount so you will make a bit off of it. Instead of just complaining about it do something different for a change.

In all seriousness, I only sell when I'm making ideal profit at worst-case shipping (I only do free shipping and BIN), so it's a bonus if I sell to someone closer to me. I'm not one of those "the shipping will balance out" sellers simply due to my location. I'm just jabbing Murphy. ;)

Edited by minicoopers11

4 hours ago, matt1147 said:

Just thought I'd chime back in - I use free shipping on practically all of my BIN listings and have it built in my my price. I also use "immediate payment required" so separately invoicing my buyers in AK, HI, and PR is only an option if I change my methods. To me, efficiency and automation take priority!

It was just weird to me to all of a sudden get orders from PR and it does sting a bit when shipping is 50-100% higher!

I list mine exactly the same.  The way it works is that people from those places send you a message before they purchase.  Separately invoicing ALLLLLL the items I have to ship to those locations (read: less than 1% of my orders) isn't an issue for me.

8 minutes ago, KShine said:

FYI - Selling w/ Free Shipping (Domestic) will provide you with more sales, better feedback, and lower fees.

I always charge actual shipping.  I think if you offer free shipping, you stand the chance to lose a few bucks to the post man if its cross country shipment.  Lowering your sell price slightly and charging shipping lures in potential buyers that are close buy and sort by lowest price + shipping

5 hours ago, Loghamel said:

<Insert rules for eBay Top Rated Seller here>

Were you suggesting Top Rated Seller requirements include free shipping? I'm pretty sure that's not required.

I've gone back and forth with free shipping. I'm doing calculated for the big beasts 6+LB sets as they're almost always NY or FL for some reason (coming from CA) and free for everything else.

18 minutes ago, thecrapweasel said:

Lowering your sell price slightly and charging shipping lures in potential buyers that are close buy and sort by lowest price + shipping

Exactly. Less sales. You are filtering out the many many more buyers who are not close by and who do not sort that way.

12 minutes ago, MarxMarvelous said:

Exactly. Less sales. You are filtering out the many many more buyers who are not close by and who do not sort that way.

While we do it the same way, I don't think this is such a black and white thing. What about those really smart customers that only look at the lowest price without shipping and decide that is the best option?

8 minutes ago, MarxMarvelous said:

I'm not entirely certain its relevant considering there are millions of people close by as far as cheapest shipping rate/region goes.  Are there statistics?  I'm listing the way I would search for something to get the best deal, which is price plus shipping lowest first.  Certainly not everyone thinks like me, lol.   $100 free shipping costs more than $92 plus $7 shipping.  I'm going to do an experiment and list identical items with the different shipping options and see if the free shipping bites first.

46 minutes ago, thecrapweasel said:

I'm not entirely certain its relevant considering there are millions of people close by as far as cheapest shipping rate/region goes.  Are there statistics?  I'm listing the way I would search for something to get the best deal, which is price plus shipping lowest first.  Certainly not everyone thinks like me, lol.   $100 free shipping costs more than $92 plus $7 shipping.  I'm going to do an experiment and list identical items with the different shipping options and see if the free shipping bites first.

Beware of the duplicate listing rules.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, matt1147 said:

So has anyone had any problems with eBay enforcing the sale, if a listing includes language such as "buyers outside of continuous US must obtain shipping quote before purchasing" but the buyer does BIN and pays the "normal" price?

I haven't had a problem with it.  But I've never had to fight eBay.  Communicating with the buyer has always worked for me.  I can't see how a buyer would have a leg to stand on if it's explicitly stated in your ad.  And if I got dinged for it, I still wouldn't send it on my dime.  I'd take the metric hit and ban the buyer.

8 hours ago, lodibricks said:

Were you suggesting Top Rated Seller requirements include free shipping? I'm pretty sure that's not required.

I've gone back and forth with free shipping. I'm doing calculated for the big beasts 6+LB sets as they're almost always NY or FL for some reason (coming from CA) and free for everything else.

No, I'm referring to the metrics behind TRS, ie automatic 5 stars for shipping in the feedback and, more importantly, Cassini.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KShine said:

FYI - Selling w/ Free Shipping (Domestic) will provide you with more sales, better feedback, and lower fees.

Not always, I've used two accounts and sold the same item on both using free shipping on one and a lower bin with calculated shipping on the other, it nearly comes out a wash with margins slightly favoring paid shipping. Yes, free shipping gives you and auto 5 star (isn't that metric going away anyway?) and no TRS discount does not apply to charged shipping but it is still a valid choice if you want to try and "choose" buyers more local to where you are. To each his own though. I would rather try different ways of doing things to see how they work out than simply take some random posters word that there is only one way to sell, one way to list, one way to ship. In most cases if you see a decline in sales it's because you are priced to high. 

Edited by Migration
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Migration said:

Not always, I've used two accounts and sold the same item on both using free shipping on one and a lower bin with calculated shipping on the other, it nearly comes out a wash with margins slightly favoring paid shipping. Yes, free shipping gives you and auto 5 star (isn't that metric going away anyway?) and no TRS discount does not apply to charged shipping but it is still a valid choice if you want to try and "choose" buyers more local to where you are. To each his own though. I would rather try different ways of doing things to see how they work out than simply take some random posters word that there is only one way to sell, one way to list, one way to ship. In most cases if you see a decline in sales it's because you are priced to high. 

This whole site seems to be people saying there is one way to buy, one way to invest, etc then getting snarky with each other when people disagree. I am just saying what works for me. After selling on ebay for 10 years, I prefer free shipping. It has meant increased sales and profits for me and I have the data to back that up. May not work for others. I live in the middle of the country. I imagine it's a nightmare to live on one coast and constantly ship to the other coast on your dime.

So my check writing guy is not responding to my e-mails.  I have told him I only take paypal and that I will be happy to cancel the order.

So my issue is that this would be for 75919 Indominus Rex.  It is my last one.  eBay selling fee promotion requires your post be up by 12/18 with payment by 12/31.

How do I get this reposted asap?  If I open an unpaid item case tonight (after 48 hours from auction end), won't that take days to resolve?  Or should I just issue a cancel order?  

Also, my other eBay fruitcake observation...I'm not the biggest fan of "best offer" because I find it just invites people lowballing (I do auto activate declines).  But I also find it hilarious that probably 90% of my items that show "best offer" are purchased at regular price with no offer submitted.  I find the smart eBayers to be the ones who watch an item for a while and then hit me up via message with an offer.  Usually they are reasonable. 

5 hours ago, MarxMarvelous said:

This whole site seems to be people saying there is one way to buy, one way to invest, etc then getting snarky with each other when people disagree. I am just saying what works for me. After selling on ebay for 10 years, I prefer free shipping. It has meant increased sales and profits for me and I have the data to back that up. May not work for others. I live in the middle of the country. I imagine it's a nightmare to live on one coast and constantly ship to the other coast on your dime.

If you don't like the site, nobody is forcing you to stay (nobody ever has)... but while we're on the topic of being snarky have you read your recent posts in this thread?

On 12/16/2015 at 4:37 PM, MarxMarvelous said:

Gee thanks, had no idea. Yeah I have used calculated shipping and watched my sales drop off a cliff. So I will just complain. You don't have to read it. There is even an ignore function.

Note to all... this thread is about funny stuff on ebay, crappy buyers, funky listings etc. If you want to argue about how best to use eBay to sell your LEGO then please head on over to a thread where it has been discussed ad nauseum and will continue to be argued over.. for example, this would be a good place. http://community.brickpicker.com/topic/11566-ebaycom-shipping-questions-and-answers

Further comments about all this shipping nonsense will likely be moderated away.

• Like 1

I have a buyer who  used a reshipping service that damaged the box and he (I assume) cant send it back because of costs and he is not in the US. (this is why I dont do international sales on LEGOs).

He bought the LordOftheRings 79008 Pirate ship, it was sent to a mail forwarding courrier service in Miami, which (I assume) sends mail to non US islands or S.America.  

He noted " Hi!
Today i opened the packaging but several pieces are broken (as pictured).
Also the bags with numbers 5 and 6 are opened and severl pieces out of them.
You mentioned the set as new but is damaged.
Sorry for these news.
I'll keep the set but i need some disccount.
Kindest Regards. "

My basic draft reply is

can you take pictures of the boxes? The shipping and the actual LEGO box itself to file a US Postal claim? I see it arrived to TAC international on Dec 8th, and am assuming now it has arrived to you on Dec 18th.
The item was new and mint from the LEGO store, it was weighed to be complete when it left me.  I looked up your zipcode to inquire about Insurance or Postmaster contact and I see your ship to address is a courier and mail forwarding company, not your residence.  
Have you contacted them for an insurance claim yet?  Once it arrives to them and is reshipped by them, especially out of the United States, I cannot be responsible for their damages as I do not sell internationally. "
Items shipped to another address after original delivery " are not covered by Ebayhttp://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/money-back-guarantee.html

In your buyer notes you noted
 "Note to seller: 

Pls send it just wrapped with craft paper or use a box that just right fit but don´t use a big one. I need the minimun volumen posible. Kindest regards."  I am assuming this was to minimize cost to reship out of the US to yourself.  The item was sent in its original mint box with the typical strong Priority boxing that resists severe crushes and dents.  In order for the LEGO plastic parts to be bent so violently, the box would have to have been nearly destroyed under heavy pressure like a car wheel, in which case the recipient or postman would note damages.  If the box was damaged upon arrival to the TAC International Courier service (8423 NW 68th St Miami FL 33166-2658 United States) then they would note to the delivery agent upon receipt of the damage to file a claim.  USPS website notes: Proof of Damage:
Photos that clearly show the extent of damage will help with your case.. You may be asked to take them to your local Post Office™ for inspection later. Please do not reship the package. https://www.usps.com/help/claims.

END

What do you guys think?

$_122.jpg

Edited by remy1492

4 hours ago, remy1492 said:

I have a buyer who  used a reshipping service that damaged the box and he (I assume) cant send it back because of costs and he is not in the US. (this is why I dont do international sales on LEGOs).

You know anything is possible, but without pictures of the shipping box, the buyer is out of luck. Also, once it made it to the mail forwarding company and was accepted, you're not liable for the damages.

I think your response is bang on, but I'd try to shorten it. It's likely your buyer's first language isn't English and they either won't read or understand everything.

I would simply tell them that since the mail forwarding company didn't note any damages to the shipping box when they received the item that you can't offer a discount and they should contact LEGO directly for replacement parts.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gregpj said:

You know anything is possible, but without pictures of the shipping box, the buyer is out of luck. Also, once it made it to the mail forwarding company and was accepted, you're not liable for the damages.

I think your response is bang on, but I'd try to shorten it. It's likely your buyer's first language isn't English and they either won't read or understand everything.

I would simply tell them that since the mail forwarding company didn't note any damages to the shipping box when they received the item that you can't offer a discount and they should contact LEGO directly for replacement parts.

good points Greg, thanks.  It makes me mad that people nowadays think even after they drive the car off the lot and wreck it, its the dealers obligation to take it back.  I doubt LEGO still has pirate ship parts but will FWD him the info.

5 minutes ago, remy1492 said:

good points Greg, thanks.  It makes me mad that people nowadays think even after they drive the car off the lot and wreck it, its the dealers obligation to take it back.  I doubt LEGO still has pirate ship parts but will FWD him the info.

Who knows what really happened, but if it was damaged that badly I would guess it was during the overseas delivery and lot locally. Surely the local freight forwarding company wouldn't accept a package that had been run over and if they do, that's also not your problem since they should not.

Did the buyer send pictures of the shipping box? Lego box? Torn bags? If not, there is more to this story...

just pictures of those VERY bent thick parts.  No box photos as he knows there is no chance of a Return due to being on an island or S.America likely.  Instead they want cash back.  They never noted they used a reshipper, I know they are omitting this on purpose and feel its slightly dishonest judging by all their purchase history on Ebay.

I worked in molding, plastics machinery etc... and to bend the plastic on a reinforced LEGO part that thick is easily a  hundred pounds of force.  Im venturing it was run over by a truck.  I came across this thread in searching: http://community.ebay.com/t5/Archive-Selling/Buyer-trying-to-scam-me/td-p/22800149/highlight/true  I feel for them, but In the end, the buyer can buy international and pay full international shipping with insurance from an Ebay seller who does that, if they opt for a CONUS shipping and no chance of insurance they accept the risk of cheaper stuff but no recourse.  The buyer knows the risk and game theyre playing with a courier/reshipper.  

I lived in Bulgaria a while, and have been deployed to remote a@@ whateverISTAN bases and Ive seen boxes smashed to bits upon arrival or stuff obviously stolen. such is the game when a box leaves the Shire.

• Like 2