Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

37 minutes ago, stephen_rockefeller said:

Thats the whole "buy now ask questions later because ebay or paypal will have my back" mentality. 

Yep. I would have expected to receive just the extra parts, the fort and the sails, not the complete BB set. If I was unsure I would have checked with the seller first. Wishful thinking on the part of the buyer if you ask me. Mind you, the seller hasn't done himself any favours with a confusing description, and should offer a refund.

Edited by tractorboy

20 minutes ago, tractorboy said:

Yep. I would have expected to receive just the extra parts, the fort and the sails, not the complete BB set. If I was unsure I would have checked with the seller first. Wishful thinking on the part of the buyer if you ask me. Mind you, the seller hasn't done himself any favours with a confusing description, and should offer a refund.

This seller would have been in the clear if he had left out reference to the second set, or clarified the set being received.  The second set mention really throws the listing off the rails.

1 hour ago, stephen_rockefeller said:

Thats the whole "buy now ask questions later because ebay or paypal will have my back" mentality. 

While I agree that sometimes it is pretty clear something is wrong or a scam (A bunch of Diagon Alleys have been popping up from a seller in China for $70 (NIB), Qty from 3 to 5), in some situations I do find myself buying and then asking. Once every other while you see a great deal on a expensive set and there is simply no time to wait for the seller to answer your questions, someone else will get it immediately. I think it is a judgement call in most cases.

33 minutes ago, Quacs said:

This seller would have been in the clear if he had left out reference to the second set, or clarified the set being received.  The second set mention really throws the listing off the rails.

Yeah, I agree. It's a terrible listing.

Simply picturing what was for sale, and saying 'the buyer will receive everything pictured' would have sufficed. I think the buyer was trying a little too hard to sell it. It's never a good idea to picture things that aren't for sale, unless it's very clearly stated that it's not for sale.

Edited by tractorboy
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Quacs said:

I think the listing is very misleading, intentional or not, and if the seller isn't playing ball, a SNAD is in order.  My issues:

1. Description states "and one set" that would lead me to believe the set in question is Brick Bounty since there is NO other mention of the other set in the listing, apart from an open box picture.  If the description had stated the name of the set, there would be no question.

I disagree a little bit.  The description says  THE EXTRA SET IS THE SOLDIERS FORT BOTH SETS! However, use of the word "BOTH" implies that if the soldier's fort is complete, so is the brick bounty

37 minutes ago, Quacs said:

2. The title says nothing about the other set, it only states "lot of huge extra parts" and "Lego Pirates The Brick Bounty".

3. The item description states the listing is "New" when eBay policy, right or wrong, is clear that any sets that are opened cannot be listed as "New". 

I'm surprised this seller is sticking to his guns as he is staring down the barrel of a second neg, and this listing has so many holes in it.  

Good luck.

2. The arrangement of the words in the title is deceptive.  If he had said Lot of Xtra Parts FROM Brick Bounty, it would be more clear.

3. The wiggle room on "new" is the lack of an 'and' or an 'or' before 'undamaged item', the inclusion of handmade items in the description in 'new' critieria (which usually are not sealed and 'as is' more so than damaged/undamaged, and that the 'used' description is only the opposite of 'unused'  I've sold sealed bags from opened boxes; I've sold sealed boxes that are new, but damaged.  The bottom line is that in the title or description, I strive to make it clear the reasons for which I consider it still qualifies as new, but loose pieces that have been handled, but not assembled would go in the '--' category for me.

Personally, I read the description and thought this guy would get the extra pieces shown in the picture plus the soldier's fort.  What constitutes the extra pieces is poorly defined.  The MOC further confuses the issue by making it unclear what pieces are included when he is showing them used in another set.  I would never show the entire brick bounty without a note in the description saying that you are not getting the entire brick bounty.  He does encourage potential buyers to ask questions, and so there was a missed opportunity to clarify or gets a parts list.

At the very least, don't make the primary/first picture what's not included. If I had my own ship shown for reference, I would've made it the very last picture and Photoshop'd in red on the pic itself "Ship not included." It's a very poorly made listing, disliked by me in almost every way, but I'm honestly not sure if it's technically SNAD. :|

25 minutes ago, lodibricks said:

At the very least, don't make the primary/first picture what's not included. If I had my own ship shown for reference, I would've made it the very last picture and Photoshop'd in red on the pic itself "Ship not included." It's a very poorly made listing, disliked by me in almost every way, but I'm honestly not sure if it's technically SNAD. :|

Unrelated to the issue in the discuss (so I'm not talking about the OP), but to be honest, there are some d**b buyers who do not even careful to check the primary/first picture. Just an observation

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty sure this is an "eBay is the fruitcake" issue, but I'll ask the question...

Buyer buys something from me.  I got to generate the label, and I get an error that the name field on the address is too long (exceeds 40 characters).  I can change it, but if I do, I lose seller protection.  Basically, the name could be broken up into two lines, without an issue, but that's enough of a change that eBay will remove seller protection.  (This is a $300 item).  I've asked the buyer to change his address.  He has, and provided it via eBay messaging.  However, when generating a new address label, it still shows the old address.

When I call eBay and ask CS, they tell me that I will need to cancel the order and put it back up again. The address on file at the time of the purchase (BIN) is what is associated with it.

I'm asking the buyer to call CS themselves, and see if he gets the same answer.  It's not that big a deal - I can cancel, issue the refund, and put the item back up.  The buyer is game, too.  Buyer isn't looking forward to any delay in receiving the refund so he can buy it back.  It's all a big pain.

Any advice?

11 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

Pretty sure this is an "eBay is the fruitcake" issue, but I'll ask the question...

Buyer buys something from me.  I got to generate the label, and I get an error that the name field on the address is too long (exceeds 40 characters).  I can change it, but if I do, I lose seller protection.  Basically, the name could be broken up into two lines, without an issue, but that's enough of a change that eBay will remove seller protection.  (This is a $300 item).  I've asked the buyer to change his address.  He has, and provided it via eBay messaging.  However, when generating a new address label, it still shows the old address.

When I call eBay and ask CS, they tell me that I will need to cancel the order and put it back up again. The address on file at the time of the purchase (BIN) is what is associated with it.

I'm asking the buyer to call CS themselves, and see if he gets the same answer.  It's not that big a deal - I can cancel, issue the refund, and put the item back up.  The buyer is game, too.  Buyer isn't looking forward to any delay in receiving the refund so he can buy it back.  It's all a big pain.

Any advice?

I've had this happen a couple times.  One the buyer had a ton of spaces in their name, I just deleted them and printed the label, but it wasn't a $300 item either.  The other put every detail of their hotel stay in the address, room #, time of arrival, etc.  When I called eBay they told me to edit the label and I would still have seller protection.  I really didn't believe the guy, but I went ahead and shipped it.  Each case turned out fine.

I know that doesn't help you out and I agree that ebay is the fruitcake here.  They should coordinate the character limit to prevent this from happening.

Had 1 buyer cancel 4 bids on 3 different items, over the course of the past two days (all "Entered wrong amount").  They no longer have any bids on any of my items, so welcome to the block list.  Had another cancel a bid, using "Cannot contact the seller", when they never tried to contact me.

Edited by I am Niko

I made it back home yesterday from visiting family for Thanksgiving and had close to 50 orders to pack/ship between eBay & Amazon. Today while busy getting the orders out one of my eBay buyers messaged me twice within an hour asking me to leave feedback b/c he paid quickly. Well he had to pay immediately since I have "Immediate Payment Required" enabled in all of my listings!

I wanted to clue him in on life but was nice and told him my main priority was to get every buyers' order out and that I would leave feedback when I get a chance. After explaining the importance of fulfilling orders that buyers have paid for, especially during the holiday season, he seemed to understand that feedback would have to take a backseat. I don't know why people feel compelled to chase feedback when there are more important things, like getting your order packed well and in a timely manner.

• Like 3

I hate keyword spammers..

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/LEGO-SEASONAL-CHRISTMAS-TRAIN-40138-SET-NEW-STAR-WARS-CITY-FRIENDS-MARVEL-DC-/262171052955?hash=item3d0a9ccb9b:g:tuIAAOSwAKxWVh34

Your listing has NOTHING to do with Star Wars, City, Friends, Marvel or DC. What a tool and yes I reported it. I hope this seller reads this, but I doubt it since they sell a bunch of other crappy toys that aren't LEGO.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, gregpj said:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/LEGO-SEASONAL-CHRISTMAS-TRAIN-40138-SET-NEW-STAR-WARS-CITY-FRIENDS-MARVEL-DC-/262171052955?hash=item3d0a9ccb9b:g:tuIAAOSwAKxWVh34

Your listing has NOTHING to do with Star Wars, City, Friends, Marvel or DC. What a tool and yes I reported it. I hope this seller reads this, but I doubt it since they sell a bunch of other crappy toys that aren't LEGO.

Seriously.  The Christmas Train doesn't need any help getting sold.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gregpj said:

If you report the listing ebay will take it down.

That listing violates "search manipulation" terms

13 minutes ago, jdmpartz said:

If you report the listing ebay will take it down.

That listing violates "search manipulation" terms

I h ave found that reporting with the link usually gets nothing done but if you call them they will often remove the listing right there on the phone.

So after intermittent eBay selling for the past 12 years, I just received my first non-positive feedback.

Neutral:  "A little disappointed a box was not included."

This for small Indiana Jones set 7621.  No, a box was not pictured.  And it was stated in the description that only Legos, minifigures and manuals are included.  I guess occasional buyers might think "Complete" means box?

Regardless, I contacted buyer and nicely said I valued her satisfaction, and she is welcome to return it.  Then I reported the feedback to eBay because I could clearly leave neutral / negative feedback for any item by saying I wish something was there that they are not even selling!

Thanks for listening to my rant...

1 hour ago, trstnkn said:

So after intermittent eBay selling for the past 12 years, I just received my first non-positive feedback.

Neutral:  "A little disappointed a box was not included."

This for small Indiana Jones set 7621.  No, a box was not pictured.  And it was stated in the description that only Legos, minifigures and manuals are included.  I guess occasional buyers might think "Complete" means box?

Regardless, I contacted buyer and nicely said I valued her satisfaction, and she is welcome to return it.  Then I reported the feedback to eBay because I could clearly leave neutral / negative feedback for any item by saying I wish something was there that they are not even selling!

Thanks for listening to my rant...

Good luck getting that feedback removed. You will need persistence or luck in large amounts, maybe both.

I had a similar situation last year with an old Star Wars polybag set. The mom who bought it let her kid open it and build it then left negative feedback for it being "so small" and "such a ripoff". I even bold / highlighted the piece count in my listing description...

It took a lot of convincing eBay that her "honest experience" had nothing to do with my performance as a seller, only her failure to be a responsible buyer.

• Like 5