Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

Fruitcake, Part 2 - looking for some advice.

Mid-September, I had a 9479 Helm's Deep up on Ebay.  It was open box, but bags intact (with photos in the listing).  It was originally purchased by someone in China, that was using a freight forwarding service.  They requested the order be cancelled a few hours after they made the purchase.  I relist, and next day, I get a different person in China, using the same freight forwarding company address that wants to buy. He asks about the open box, sealed bags.  I explain that they are sealed.  He's happy, and he purchases.

Last night, I got a message from him that two of the sealed bags are opened, and that there were loose Lego in the box.

Checking the delivery date to the freight shipper, it was delivered on Sept 24.

So...what should I do?

His note is as follows:  "the results showed that the no. 1 and no. 7 bags is broken, lego fall out, I don't know whether I have lost some lego, the other is in good condition, I can provide pictures of no. 1 and no. 7 damage. Don't know how to solve?"

Not asking for a refund.  I guess the easiest thing is to direct him to the set inventory on Bricklink?  I offer a 14 day refund window, but product must be returned in the same condition (e.g., no bags opened).

I suspect that the box got crunched by the freight company (guess he should have used GSP, eh?  I offer it).

Technically he is way past the return window.  This is like if I order something from Walmart but do not open the package until 4 months after it is delivered.

He can sort it out with his shipper, but I do not see how you would be responsible with any of this.  You shipped to the address listed on the order as required by eBay & Paypal.

I would also ask for a picture of the box just to see if the shipper repackage the item.

• Like 1

I got a request for return from an eBay buyer.  He noted that it the Research Institute set was dented and uploaded pictures and it did look a little squashed.

I approved the return but am wondering if there is any point in contacting USPS since it was shipped Priority Mail and is insured.  The buyer is sending the set back through eBay which may not have been the correct next step.  Should I have asked the buyer to immediately contact USPS and/or file a USPS claim?  Thanks,

On 11/2/2015, 9:06:00, ravenb99 said:

So for people that part out large sets say like Helicarrier which you could get close to $550 for awhile broken down.  

People listed the microfigs and accessories,  the figs with the shield symbol, and the actual helicarrier.  They are all still part of the set so what is the difference??  

Did you really just ask the difference between particular parts of a set vs. the actual set?  I dunno, what's the difference between flour, eggs, sugar, baking soda, etc. vs a cake?

What parts of a set qualify for being sets.  They aren't bulk lots of bricks as you can still give instructions to them and so forth.

NONE of the parts qualify for being a set.  Guess what does?  The SET.  No, they aren't bulk lots, they're minifigures.  Too bad there's no category for that.  Oh, wait:  

And as I've said before, EVERY listing I see in mis-categorized, the listing is also in that exact category.  So people aren't unaware that the category exists.

The mention of it circumventing ebays rules is not really true, you aren't allowed to spam titles but if you have something from set 76042 in your helicarrier partial auction it is still from 76042 and you do have a right to use it.  

Really?  What I typed is verbatim of eBay's reporting screen:

563d1e9ed914f_ebaycategory.jpg.7ca52c52c

You may not select a category, but eBay's search algorithm has done it for you.  You type a set number in and it will return everything for that number in "Completed sets".  If there were no categories and I searched for a set number looking for a set, I would change the category to "Completed sets" to get rid of everything that isn't a set.  Well, theoretically I would.  Given the practices I've written too much about already, I'd go through the steps to narrow it down to find what I want.  Like I said, I get it.  It's fine if a person is cool with the current system, but there is no defense of anything being listed in "Completed sets" except completed sets.  Think of it this way;  if you went to autotrader.com and searched for a 2015 Corvette, would it make sense if every part of the car were included in the results?  Could you probably narrow it down by selecting a few options and some Boolean logic?  Sure.  That's an apples vs. apples comparison.  For someone that spends a ton of time going through different set values, after about the 150th set, it becomes rather frustrating having to take the steps needed to find what I want when the EXACT category for what I'm searching for exists.

Edited by Loghamel

3 minutes ago, TheGallows said:

To be honest as much as I agree with what you are saying, you seem to be coming from a buyers POV. Most of us re sellers/investors just want our listings to get as many hits as possible. No?

Absolutely, that is exactly what it is.  I have never sold a minifigure or other part of a set, so I cannot empathize with the other side.  I'm sure that will change somewhere down the line and am also sure that I will list in both categories, if for no better reason than to be on a level playing field with my competition.  One thing that is even MORE frustrating is when people list a set that is NOT the one you searched for.  Search for any of the Jurassic World sets and you will get a load of the other JW sets in your results.  Ironically, Raven points out that this is spamming and is circumventing the rules, but listing PARTS of a set in the COMPLETE SETS is not.  They're both doing exactly the same thing; putting eyes on what you are selling even though neither is what you searched for.

Got this message. Bought as a guest user, message sent from a different eBay account.

"An item was received at my home for a _____ who is a minor. He does not work nor has any money. The item was apparently purchased using a credit card directly or to fund a Paypal account tied to a credit card which is not his. How do I return the item?"

Is there no easy way within eBay for a seller to generate a return shipping label? I don't see much for options unless the buyer initiates on his end. I also have zero experience with guest eBay accounts, but it seems from what I've read that they don't have return/refund options available on their end either.

In any event, the kid needs a whooping.

Sold a new sealed GE to buyer on ebay.  After item was delivered, buyer filed a charge back with their credit card as "unauthorized payment", the buyer obviously has the package as they had to sign for it.   Now waiting for paypal decision.      This is the ebayer's user name in case anyone would like to block him from buying from you in the future: no ebay names allowed yeesh

1 hour ago, whalechaser said:

Sold a new sealed GE to buyer on ebay.  After item was delivered, buyer filed a charge back with their credit card as "unauthorized payment", the buyer obviously has the package as they had to sign for it.   Now waiting for paypal decision.      This is the ebayer's user name in case anyone would like to block him from buying from you in the future: no ebay names allowed yeesh

Are you sure the buyer was the same person as the one that signed for it?  I had something similar happen to me, and while the address was confirmed, the addresses didn't match.

I was still covered, which is why I sent mine out.  Trying to follow eBay's rules.  But it's just a bummer that someone stole it.

56 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

Are you sure the buyer was the same person as the one that signed for it?  I had something similar happen to me, and while the address was confirmed, the addresses didn't match.

I was still covered, which is why I sent mine out.  Trying to follow eBay's rules.  But it's just a bummer that someone stole it.

Same thing happened to me with a TH... my money was safe because I followed eBay/Paypal rules, but it does suck that someone got it for free. 

5 minutes ago, legodelorean said:

This wasn't on eBay, it's on CL. Some guy asked me to sell him a C-3PO polybag and he would PayPal me money and I would mail it to him. Is that safe? It also means PayPal gets a cut and I havd to incur costs mailing it. I don't think I'm going to go through with it.

Ask him to pay for shipping, give him a Paypal invoice, get the money, and ship the item out. I don't see why not. You get the money first (he's the one at higher risk) and should be cover by Paypal seller protection.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, legodelorean said:

This wasn't on eBay, it's on CL. Some guy asked me to sell him a C-3PO polybag and he would PayPal me money and I would mail it to him. Is that safe? It also means PayPal gets a cut and I havd to incur costs mailing it. I don't think I'm going to go through with it.

I buy items on CL and get them shipped to me a few times a year. Make the buyer make it worth your while because you shouldn't take $5 less just to do them a favor.  Now, if you want to ship me one, then that would be great because I don't have one :)

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, redghostx said:

I buy items on CL and get them shipped to me a few times a year. Make the buyer make it worth your while because you shouldn't take $5 less just to do them a favor.  Now, if you want to ship me one, then that would be great because I don't have one :)

Are we getting the C-3PO polybag up here? I want one too. :)

25 minutes ago, redghostx said:

Are we getting the C-3PO polybag up here? I want one too. :)

Are you serious? If so, we can work something out. :) Seriously, I'm already helping someone south of the border. And I go north as well.

I just gotta get my TRUs to actually let me buy some. They are being unusually stingy so far.

How do you know when someone bought something off of you through a guest account on eBay?  I've had two purchases this past 24 hrs where the user name is something similar to this: abcd1234-e5fghi6 with zero feedback and the account was opened within 24 hrs.

Does ebay let you know your buyer checked out as a guest?

I have a question too like the post above. I just sold a semi-big ticket item ($520) on eBay. Buyer used the global shipping program (he's in France), but he has zero feedback. My auction was set for immediate payment so I got paid. I've shipped a few times to buyers using the global shipping program but none had zero feedback. Should I be worried? Once the global shipping center signs for my item, I should be good right? (Sending with insurance and adult sig required). 

I have a question too like the post above. I just sold a semi-big ticket item ($520) on eBay. Buyer used the global shipping program (he's in France), but he has zero feedback. My auction was set for immediate payment so I got paid. I've shipped a few times to buyers using the global shipping program but none had zero feedback. Should I be worried? Once the global shipping center signs for my item, I should be good right? (Sending with insurance and adult sig required). 

Yep. You are good. You've got your funds, and an order to ship. You are only required to get it to the global shipping center. After that it's out of your hands.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, lazuli16 said:

How do you know when someone bought something off of you through a guest account on eBay?  I've had two purchases this past 24 hrs where the user name is something similar to this: abcd1234-e5fghi6 with zero feedback and the account was opened within 24 hrs.

Does ebay let you know your buyer checked out as a guest?

No, it does not.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

Yep. You are good. You've got your funds, and an order to ship. You are only required to get it to the global shipping center. After that it's out of your hands.

Thanks for the info! I just thought of another related question. Does the global shipping center open up the package to confirm/check the contents before shipping it off to the international buyer? I would imagine (logistically) that it would suck for eBay and the foreign buyer if a scammer shipped a brick instead of the actual item.