Let's get proactive about LEGO scams on eBay.

StarPod

I just noticed several 41999's sold on ebay over the past few days for retail or a few dollars over.  They are all by sellers that have zero feedback.  Has scamming become this bad now?  I guess these could be legitimate, but I don't know why someone would sell them with BIN for retail.  Unless they were stolen, I don't know how anyone could have gotten them below retail.  Even then, they could just as quickly sell them for $300 as they could for $200.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lego-Set-41999-Exclusive-Limited-Edition-Technic-4x4-Crawler-Teady-To-Ship-New-/111159516804?pt=Race_Car_Parts&hash=item19e19f9e84&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGO-41999-TECHNIC-4x4-CRAWLER-EXCLUSIVE-EDITION-BRAND-NEW-FREE-SHIPPING-/271270873006?pt=Motors_Aviation_Parts_Gear&hash=item3f290107ae&vxp=mtr

Also, what are these TRU listings that are selling for $229?  It looks like a mistake. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGO-Technic-4-X-4-Crawler-Co-creation-41999-zTN-/360732586483?pt=Building_Toys_US&hash=item53fd5671f3

Can't be a scam--it says they have 4 teady to ship.  After ebay/paypal/shipping fees---probably only going to end up losing 60 per unit.  Not that bad of a loss.  I don't know why you folks always assume there is a "scam" going on.  Just sour grapes--because you didn't get any of the 4.  And I got them all!  :super:   :money:  

Edit---just noticed they are a few towns away from me--so probably paid MA taxes on them too---so--make that a $70 loss per unit.  Not too shabby.

What a joke--there about 10 listed now for ~$250 with free shipping--and they are selling fast!  Get em while you can boys--no lines--no waiting.

This topic was discussed here:

http://community.brickpicker.com/topic/2693-4x4-crawler-exclusive-edition-41999/?p=159124

No worries, as this thread was long.  I am going to amend this thread's title to include the scam aspect of the post to separate it from the gargantuan 41999 thread.

Thanks Quacs.  I wasn't sure really where to post this.  Thanks for stepping in.

The scammers can have another effect on honest sellers - as eBay ends up holding the bag (and refunding the buyers) for these, they will consider and may apply category-specific selling limits to Lego.

What this means is that each of us as sellers will have to establish a track record with eBay of actually fulfilling sales (of Lego specifically, not of anything else), reviewed month by month and increased automatically (some) and by request (I recommend this if you find yourself with limits, you can do it monthly).

These category specific limits are applied to high-fraud categories like electronics, designer items, and, I reckon soon enough, Lego. They are INDEPENDENT of any seller limits you may have (my seller limit is very high, but I will have to establish a separate "Lego track record" if these category-specific Lego limits go into place).

My best advice: sell Lego steadily, build up a good reputation with eBay, and don't count on Christmas-season high-volume high-dollar Lego sales unless you've built up that track record.

It doesn't look like the category is under specific limits yet, but if the scamming really is on the rise, it will be.

Can't be a scam--it says they have 4 teady to ship.  After ebay/paypal/shipping fees---probably only going to end up losing 60 per unit.  Not that bad of a loss.  I don't know why you folks always assume there is a "scam" going on.  Just sour grapes--because you didn't get any of the 4.  And I got them all!  :super:   :money:  

Edit---just noticed they are a few towns away from me--so probably paid MA taxes on them too---so--make that a $70 loss per unit.  Not too shabby.

What a joke--there about 10 listed now for ~$250 with free shipping--and they are selling fast!  Get em while you can boys--no lines--no waiting.

well, congrats.  Why assume - 'cause it's better for me to be safe then regret loosing money later on.  I'd never risk it buying from somebody with zero feedback. 

How's this sound? I ended up NOT selling my 41999...two many red flags going up in my head. Was I being overly cautious and loose a sale, or did I play it smart??

From ebay potential buyer:

Him:

Hi, would you consider sell me 2 sets to the uk through PayPal? Cheers.

Me:

Thank you for your question. Yes, I will ship to UK. If you do win, please allow me to calculate shipping to your Postal Code before making payment via PayPal. Sound good? Please let me know if you have further questions.Take care,

Him:

Hi, you have a buy it now. I really wanted to buy both your sets for $900 including shipping. Do you want to go through PayPal only? I can't press the buy it now on your sets as it would be over $900 with the shipping. Please let me know.  Cheers. 

Me: 

I found this on ebay's web site:http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/limits-on-buyers.htmlIt looks like you can remove the limits by registering a Paypal account and/or registering a credit card. Also, you should be able to buy quantity 1, then buy the second one as a second transaction. In other words, don't enter quantity 2 on the auction - make 2 separate purchases. Give these options a try first, please. I don't have "Require immediate payment when buyer uses Buy It Now" checked, to allow me to provide shipping costs before invoicing. As I will be shipping via the Global Shipping Program, I won't know the full costs right away for shipping. The shipping charges likely won't be small, so I need to keep the price firm. I'm not planning on making any profit on shipping, just passing costs on to buyer.

Yes, PayPal only. This item is highly sought after, and unfortunately there are many scams right now. I hope you understand.
Thanks for your questions. Let me know if you have more, glad to help.

Me:
I also found this page: http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/shipping-globally.html

It indicates that you should see the associated fees when I use the Global Shipping Program.
I'll waive the domestic shipping charges for shipment to the ebay shipping center. That will bring the price down for each by ~$20US. I hope this info helps.

Him: 
If I buy them both with the buy it now will you ship for free and value both boxes below $30? So total I pay is $900 for 2 sets.  Thanks.

Me:
I'm sorry. I can do neither.
The shipping to UK will be a considerable expense (I've used USPS and FedEx shipping calculators), and valuing below the real paid value is against ebay policies (http://pages.ebay.com/help/pay/international-shipping-rules.html).

After my last reply, there were no further responses from buyer...

Your thoughts?

How's this sound? I ended up NOT selling my 41999...two many red flags going up in my head. Was I being overly cautious and loose a sale, or did I play it smart??

From ebay potential buyer:

Him:

Hi, would you consider sell me 2 sets to the uk through PayPal? Cheers.

Me:

Thank you for your question. Yes, I will ship to UK. If you do win, please allow me to calculate shipping to your Postal Code before making payment via PayPal. Sound good? Please let me know if you have further questions.Take care,

Him:

Hi, you have a buy it now. I really wanted to buy both your sets for $900 including shipping. Do you want to go through PayPal only? I can't press the buy it now on your sets as it would be over $900 with the shipping. Please let me know.  Cheers. 

Me: 

I found this on ebay's web site:http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/limits-on-buyers.htmlIt looks like you can remove the limits by registering a Paypal account and/or registering a credit card. Also, you should be able to buy quantity 1, then buy the second one as a second transaction. In other words, don't enter quantity 2 on the auction - make 2 separate purchases. Give these options a try first, please. I don't have "Require immediate payment when buyer uses Buy It Now" checked, to allow me to provide shipping costs before invoicing. As I will be shipping via the Global Shipping Program, I won't know the full costs right away for shipping. The shipping charges likely won't be small, so I need to keep the price firm. I'm not planning on making any profit on shipping, just passing costs on to buyer.

Yes, PayPal only. This item is highly sought after, and unfortunately there are many scams right now. I hope you understand.

Thanks for your questions. Let me know if you have more, glad to help.

Me:

I also found this page: http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/shipping-globally.html

It indicates that you should see the associated fees when I use the Global Shipping Program.

I'll waive the domestic shipping charges for shipment to the ebay shipping center. That will bring the price down for each by ~$20US. I hope this info helps.

Him: 

If I buy them both with the buy it now will you ship for free and value both boxes below $30? So total I pay is $900 for 2 sets.  Thanks.

Me:

I'm sorry. I can do neither.

The shipping to UK will be a considerable expense (I've used USPS and FedEx shipping calculators), and valuing below the real paid value is against ebay policies (http://pages.ebay.com/help/pay/international-shipping-rules.html).

After my last reply, there were no further responses from buyer...

Your thoughts?

It sounds like he wanted you to sell to him outside of Ebay in the first sentences - thats enough for me to be done with someone.

I love these people! I always sell outside of ebay and declare item is a gift. You are stil protected by paypal.

You're breaking federal law... you could be subject to a fine of the real value of the item and more... and you could go to jail.

So don't falsify customs forms.

You're breaking federal law... you could be subject to a fine of the real value of the item and more... and you could go to jail.

So don't falsify customs forms.

I had a similar request from people in the UK as well.  I just told them use the buy it now, and i will do free to kentucky as it says on the site.  If the international demand wasn't so high i'd just make it a US auction only.

Well, that makes 4 this year...that I know of. Removed the clogged cat converter on my car last week...because I didn't want to pay $300 to repair our 4th car in fleet that is 15 years old. I also smuggled in cuban cigars from my trip to Toronto a couple weeks ago...and I brought some old silver US coins I had to be smelt into a few troy billets....well...I guess the guy at jewlery exchange broke that one not me. We also used the penny press at the aquarium this morning...not sure if that is defacing or destroying US currency. While we are at confession....I almost always drive 72 in a 65. Sometimes 78.....without a seatbelt! Lock me up uncle Sam! And my son rides his scooter---without a helmet!

Freedom....yeah right.

• Like 1

Well, that makes 4 this year...that I know of. Removed the clogged cat converter on my car last week...because I didn't want to pay $300 to repair our 4th car in fleet that is 15 years old. I also smuggled in cuban cigars from my trip to Toronto a couple weeks ago...and I brought some old silver US coins I had to be smelt into a few troy billets....well...I guess the guy at jewlery exchange broke that one not me. We also used the penny press at the aquarium this morning...not sure if that is defacing or destroying US currency. While we are at confession....I almost always drive 72 in a 65. Sometimes 78.....without a seatbelt! Lock me up uncle Sam! And my son rides his scooter---without a helmet!

Freedom....yeah right.

Cat Converter is definitely one - EPA would get you on that one - I have done it though. Not sure why Cuban Cigars are illegal. Penny press is probably fine.

Traffic violations are not really federal crimes, although I think driving without a seatbelt should be - don't understand why anyone in their right mind would do that. One thing if you are alone but if others are in the car, its more dangerous for them.

So I am only judging you for one of them. not bad.

Freedom....yeah right.

LOLz +1...for the custom duty they collection vs the man hour and court fee they spend to persecute, they won't do a thing.  We all want someone with a deep pocket to buy and not someone that will penny pinch on custom duty.  You have to do what you have to do.

You'll be good with the cat converter until your inspection next year.  I hope you know a guy that can get you a sticker. 

The penny press at the aquarium had permission from the federal govt so your cover on that one.

Cat Converter is definitely one - EPA would get you on that one - I have done it though. Not sure why Cuban Cigars are illegal. Penny press is probably fine.

Traffic violations are not really federal crimes, although I think driving without a seatbelt should be - don't understand why anyone in their right mind would do that. One thing if you are alone but if others are in the car, its more dangerous for them.

So I am only judging you for one of them. not bad.

I don't want to get too off-topic here, so I will only add this. Regarding seatbelts, I think if people don't think their life is important enough to wear them, then that's their problem. I wear it all the time, not be because it's the law, but because I know they can save my life.

I woule just repeal all the laws forcing you to wear seatbelts. People have to take responsibility for their own decisions, instead of having thousands of laws pretty much telling them how to take care of themselves.

Back to Crawler scams then :)

I love these people! I always sell outside of ebay and declare item is a gift. You are stil protected by paypal.

I am sure it's cool to be a rebel but your statement about protection is incorrect. It's very easy to lose your money when selling things paid for via the gift option and if PayPal finds out they will ban your account. I can also tell you that marking the wrong customs amount will also invalidate any claim. All PayPal has to do is ask for a copy of the custom form and then use that dollar amount for any claim and what recourse would you have. You obviously can't tell them you lied on the form.

I can't decide if the best part is the fact it is listed in the ATV parts category, or this quote in the listing (clearly copied from another listing):

"I have been selling Legos on ebay for some time, and have a long line of satisfied customers"

They have zero feedback of course.

Also, why that price? Love the randomness.

Here's my favorite part of this listing.  In the description:

"Please look at my feedback. I have been selling Legos on Ebay for quite some time, and have a long line of satisfied customers. Your set will be shipped via USPS, and it will be insured, which will require signature at delivery. The cost of insurance has been added as a handling cost."

Needless to say, his feedback is 0.  That's a long line of satisfied customers, apparently...

*EDIT* I must not type as fast as D or nolan...damn.'

*EDIT 2* Since I live near Chicago, I should PM him to see if I can pick up this set in person.

It has 1 watcher. I wonder who from Brickpicker is watching it.

I can't decide if the best part is the fact it is listed in the ATV parts category, or this quote in the listing (clearly copied from another listing):

"I have been selling Legos on ebay for some time, and have a long line of satisfied customers"

They have zero feedback of course.

Also, why that price? Love the randomness.

I guess some time is since August 17, 2013.. :)