The Hobbit 2014

I recently got my other LEGO Christmas catalog, and the retails for the new Hobbit sets are:

Dol Guldur Ambush: $20

Mirkwood Elf Army: $30

Lake Town Chase: $50

Dol Guldur Battle: $70

They are now also available at European LEGO Shop at Home sites. Prices may vary a little between countries but in the Netherlands they are:

Dol Guldur Ambush:

WoW thats OVERKILL! ....

I am disgusted by LEGO prices in EU .... for those prices Id need 50% discount to buy anything LOL (except maybe MEA is ok with 35%)

I am not surprised. Part of it is because of higher sales taxes but Lego always prices Licensed themes at a higher level than in the US. Don't worry, we'll be able to get them for less at Amazon, though still not in the US range.

I am not surprised. Part of it is because of higher sales taxes but Lego always prices Licensed themes at a higher level than in the US. Don't worry, we'll be able to get them for less at Amazon, though still not in the US range.

Well My personal trigger for the sets is

Dol Guldur Ambush:

The Mirkwood set is just gravy. I'd take 100 of them if I had the space (and could resist not opening them all!)

Whats ''gravy'' about the set I wonder though :P

I mean Uruk-hai army had meaning of the modular build because it was meaningful addition to The flagship set of the wave.... (Unlike Dol Guldurs Ambush!) MEA combines with itself for presumably circular outpost between a few trees.... 

The build itself looks atrocious the figures are above average I admit... Sadly Thraundil looks way worse for army building than Eomer did...

Maybe I am just biased cos I hate the hoods lol....

I agree with the hoods but it is all about the elves.

If only we had more elves in the Helm's Deep sets.

It is a bit hard to say it isn't meaningful when we are yet to see the film.

I do not mean meaningless as to movie meaningless, but the set is a lackluster build that is a modular to itself and if you purchase it multiple times you get not even remotely army building material figure (Thraundil vs Eomer)  

not to even mention that the finished building looks just plain awful....

Its a bad set with ok figures.... 

I always said that sets like this one should onyl have generic troops inside ....

They did the same mistake with Black Gates (that set was the worst) .... Eomer was the only one you could ''easily'' fake into Rohan Soldier....

I avoided the Hobbit line except for the 79003 An Unexpected Gathering - I love that set. But I favour a lot more the LOTR line. These new Hobbit sets aren't that great IMO.

Alcarin I agree with you. The modular setup and compatibility between several sets in LOTR is what draws me there. Plus the movies are better :D

I avoided the Hobbit line except for the 79003 An Unexpected Gathering - I love that set. But I favour a lot more the LOTR line. These new Hobbit sets aren't that great IMO.

Alcarin I agree with you. The modular setup and compatibility between several sets in LOTR is what draws me there. Plus the movies are better :D

Yeah I was so looking forward to Black Gates untill I saw the figure selection and that fugly Eagle.... Now I dont want the set at all, and I bricklinked Gandalf the White....

If Black Gate had 2 Orcs, Troll, Aragorn, Gondor Soldier and Rohan Soldier Id buy 50 sets... Now i will avoid even 1....

Not sure whats LEGO logic on the fig decisions, putting Gandalf, Mouth, Aragorn in a SET that you ADVERTISE of buying multiples is counter productive....

Guest eightbrick

I sooo wish Lake Town guards would have cooler helmets.... damn you Jackson ... :D

Yeah, has anyone noticed that they sort of look like the fish piece got stuck in a ring of fur?

Guest eightbrick

Totally not Lego, But I had to share as we are on this topic!

This is my Gingerbread house for a work contest.

That's made of food? Awesome! :D

Thanks for adding that Orc. I'm not the greatest with computer stuff.

No problem.

Anyway, in Target I found at one endcap Dol Guldur Ambush, Mirkwood Elf Army, and Lake-town Chase, but not Dol Guldur Battle while Walmart didn't have any of them. I have to say seeing them in person, I really felt like walking out of that store with all of them. I also found most of the Ninjago 2014 sets too (at Target) except for OverBorg Attack and Mecha Dragon and those looked pretty good too.