LEGO S@H "Black Listing": Did you ever receive this re-sale warning from Shop at Home?

Deez_Brickz

dta0.jpg

I think some members had reported that the Halloween accessory kit wasn't part of the MF series clearance. It is--or at least it is now. Lego does nationwide clearance. Not sure about worldwide...but it's not location specific according to the lego cashier.

Concerns, opinions ans guesses,

I believe we as a body of investors in the Lego product should delegate the owners of Brick Picker, an Lego investment web site, to e-mail our concerns to TLG, the owner and certain key people under him here in the USA and in their homeland of Denmark.

Our concerns have generated one of the longest threads of response on Brick Link and it should, as it concerns all of us. Writing to these Lego Group People might get the answers we need to pursue our love of their product. Maybe the "Richest Man in Denmark" isn't aware of what's going on.

Let's not end this forum as some people have stated, it needs to continue till we get the right answers. If you study the threads you will find some good advice and analyze it further and you might find the "Lego Spies". Could be easier than finding "Mr. Gold".

Everyone that received one of these e-mails/letters from TLG may want to list with date received and circumstances involved in receiving it.

Don't forget, Lego sued Mega Bloks in every major court in the World, and Lego lost. Many things are possible, in numbers

I believe we as a body of investors in the Lego product should delegate the owners of Brick Picker, an Lego investment web site, to e-mail our concerns to TLG, the owner and certain key people under him here in the USA and in their homeland of Denmark.

Our concerns have generated one of the longest threads of response on Brick Link and it should, as it concerns all of us. Writing to these Lego Group People might get the answers we need to pursue our love of their product. Maybe the "Richest Man in Denmark" isn't aware of what's going on.

Let's not end this forum as some people have stated, it needs to continue till we get the right answers. If you study the threads you will find some good advice and analyze it further and you might find the "Lego Spies". Could be easier than finding "Mr. Gold".

Everyone that received one of these e-mails/letters from TLG may want to list with date received and circumstances involved in receiving it.

Don't forget, Lego sued Mega Bloks in every major court in the World, and Lego lost. Many things are possible, in numbers

I have to be honest. I couldn't disagree more with this idea as far as I can tell the only real ban has been because someone ordered 50 of a set which is so over the top it's a bit comical. The last thing I think we should do is let the Lego world know that there are a ton of people wanting to order a ridiculous sum so they can resell later. That is exactly what they are trying to avoid. It would be nice to know the exact policy and a question answered about that would be great but trying to do some pushing as a group would seem to only prove their point and possibly irritate them.

And what is OUR concern? 

Just dont buy 50 Funhouses and similar from LEGO and there is no concern :)

And what is OUR concern?

Just dont buy 50 Funhouses and similar from LEGO and there is no concern :)

Really - you think it's that simple?

So is the safe number 49,48,47...?

What if it is a ratio of exclusive sets to non? What if it is your spend relative to others in your area and demographic? What if its something else?

You see, that is what we need to know otherwise many people risk getting black listed from lego.

Again, I didn't order 50 at once. I have purchased 50 over the life of the set and never once exceeded the max limit of 5 per order.

Being black listed will affect my bottom line. I love lego. My kids love lego. But I'm not here on this thread as a fan. I am here as business person who is trying to maximize return on investment. I'm sure I am not alone in this regard.

Input like "LOL don't buy 50" or "don't pay shop at home retail" is really not helpful to anyone in the community.

In the end we are all competitors to some extent but I appreciate the sharing here on the site. I am glad that my thread has generated so much discussion. I will certainly keep folks updated as things progress with my account, since this first email is perhaps just a warning.

This isn't just lego direct either as emes has explained. My friend is banned from buying ninjago golden dragon sets from Amazon. He is also banned from Staples. Evil resellers everywhere not just lego...

• Like 1

Deez, I've learned a lot in a short time in this topic and I'm glad you brought it to the community - there has been some great input from some very experienced folks, including some who are in your shoes, so don't let the envious get you down.

For some people, life is as simple as "Don't succeed any more than I do and you'll be fine." I have never understood these people, which might be why I end up succeeding in spite of the challenges put in my path, and you sound to me like the same kind of stubborn winner.  :queen:

I hope you'll keep us posted on how everything continues to fall out. I know with the input in this thread I've been able to crunch some numbers, hand over a couple of sacrificial goats, and keep moving forward with a reasonable working revision to the Lego Store/LEGO Shop at Home portion of my business plan, and I hope it works out for you, too.

On this of ALL possible sites, nobody should feel hassled because they want to invest in 50 (or 500) of something, IMO.

What if it is a ratio of exclusive sets to non? What if it is your spend relative to others in your area and demographic? What if its something else?

You see, that is what we need to know otherwise many people risk getting black listed from lego.

Again, I didn't order 50 at once. I have purchased 50 over the life of the set and never once exceeded the max limit of 5 per order.

Being black listed will affect my bottom line. I love lego. My kids love lego. But I'm not here on this thread as a fan. I am here as business person who is trying to maximize return on investment. I'm sure I am not alone in this regard.

Input like "LOL don't buy 50" or "don't pay shop at home retail" is really not helpful to anyone in the community.

In the end we are all competitors to some extent but I appreciate the sharing here on the site. I am glad that my thread has generated so much discussion. I will certainly keep folks updated as things progress with my account, since this first email is perhaps just a warning.

This isn't just lego direct either as emes has explained. My friend is banned from buying ninjago golden dragon sets from Amazon. He is also banned from Staples. Evil resellers everywhere not just lego...

Think of LEGO investors and resellers as professional athlete's that all perform in the same sport.  We might be competitors, but we are also affected by the same rules and share similar experiences.  There is a camaraderie among us and must deal with similar playing conditions.  This topic is important to all LEGO investors and collectors.  Those who say it does not matter are either lying  or have little or no money invested.  

• Like 2

I think emes last night before the silly season posts started was right   - "unusual buying behavior" algorithms tracked (definitely) through the VIP program and (possibly) through credit card and/or ship-to address are the ways that Lego will go with this.

So, while it hurts my penny-pinching soul to leave freebies on the table, I'll be purchasing from LEGO Shop at Home with circumspection, and that is the only place I think I'll "out" myself by using the VIP program.

In my local stores, they'll get to know me but I'll spread out my purchases, no VIP, and pay cash. My goal is to be seen as "fan not seller" (both are true, I'll just wear the fangirl emblem front and center, whipping out photos of our personal collection and creations like an overly-enthusiastic grandmother and cornering store employees to force them to look  :twitch: ).

(And re the forum in general, I appreciate the line drawn by the moderators/owners in the difference between disagreement - even strong disagreement - and outright useless trolling. I know the site is growing and maybe having some pains that go with that growth, but the moderation here appears to me to be very good.)

What about a second VIP card registered to say your parents house, work (if you have a day time job) etc. You could even go so far as to register it in to someone else's name entirely and then pay cash every time you use that second card. At least that way you'll still get the freebies and points which are well worth it.

What about a second VIP card registered to say your parents house, work (if you have a day time job) etc. You could even go so far as to register it in to someone else's name entirely and then pay cash every time you use that second card. At least that way you'll still get the freebies and points which are well worth it.

I could, but at a point it becomes not worth the effort. And while like most humans I pick and choose my deceptions, I don't like to drag other people into participating in them. Sometimes, my scruples really get in my way.  :queen:  I'm not saying anyone else is wrong if they want to do this, though - we're talking about breaking a toy company's rules, not violating our marriage vows or cheating on our taxes.

I can assure you if you'd buy 5 in lifetime noone would ban you.... even if you'd buy ten (assuming you have 10 kids from relatives etc.)

Its based on common LOGIC i'd bet.... I bet LEGO has a file for each order connected to your name/address/VIP card number which they check or are instructed to check on each order...  When they see ''wow he ordered 40 funhouses'' they know you dont have so many kids, and this is not battle pack for army builders, so they just weed out by logic and see you as a reseller. Noone buys and opens 50 or 30 funhouses for himself I bet... 

I cannot see any downside from being banned for buying such LARGE quantities of any set ... I am personally more worried about lack of overview in every shop so you will still be able to buy large quantities in some shops... 

Simply do not put all eggs in 1 basket.... I put 1000$ in LEGO, 1000$ in stocks,  5000$ on my bank account for 4.5% annual interest and I keep 1000$ for emergencies... 

And that way I will 

a) never get banned

B) never worry even if i somehow do get banned (when i can order from LEGO)

If you spend 15k per month for LEGO ofcourse you will be flagged(i dont even make 15k in a year), spread your investing into other things and you will be fine.

Deez, I've learned a lot in a short time in this topic and I'm glad you brought it to the community - there has been some great input from some very experienced folks, including some who are in your shoes, so don't let the envious get you down.

For some people, life is as simple as "Don't succeed any more than I do and you'll be fine." I have never understood these people, which might be why I end up succeeding in spite of the challenges put in my path, and you sound to me like the same kind of stubborn winner.

I hope you'll keep us posted on how everything continues to fall out. I know with the input in this thread I've been able to crunch some numbers, hand over a couple of sacrificial goats, and keep moving forward with a reasonable working revision to the Lego Store/LEGO Shop at Home portion of my business plan, and I hope it works out for you, too.

On this of ALL possible sites, nobody should feel hassled because they want to invest in 50 (or 500) of something, IMO.

Its never about that... Its about the fact even if we would want to succeed like you or anyone of the big guns we are limited by our funds... Even if I would want to order 50 Funhouses I cannot because I make 800$ a month.... And i am left with about 100$ a month after I pay for all there needs to be paid (my pension is paid before I get the money different system than in US) 

Yes nobody should feel hassled if they want to invest 50 or 500 of something, but dont expect tons of approval either... If my opinion is counter to yours you should not blame us for pointing fingers on your ways, its just expressing OPINION, nothing more or less.

I just dont feel sympathies on people buying 50 or 500 of anything and then blaming shops for blacklisting them... shops have such rights if I recall, but you can always take it to the court and let us know if you won the case...

This topic is important to all LEGO investors and collectors. Those who say it does not matter are either lying or have little or no money invested.  

indeed it is, its just this topic only effects about 50 people on this site.... out of a couple of thousand....  

Its more of a sign that we need to buy LESS LEGO and diversify even more. Or take such thing on the court.

Its all my little opinion nothing else, I dont hate or dislike big investors, I think they are great, but I must say I feel no sympathies towards people being banned for ordering really large quantities of exclusive sets. I bet LEGO wants those sets to reach their kids and their parents and not resellers or investors and I think that is right. 

• Like 1

Willy, I caught your post before you deleted it, and I personally wish you would have let it stand.

I'll give my own version: I may have $5000/month to invest in Lego in various forms. If I am "glad" that the guy here who has $10,000/month or $100,000/month is being thwarted because that's "just too much", I'm being self-righteous and self-deceptive. 

It's a disturbing attitude anywhere, any time, but it's especially disturbing on a site that is supposed to be about INVESTING in LEGO, for pity's sake. It's like a vegetarian showing up at a steak restaurant to wag his/her finger in everyone's face and explain they THEY are good because they only eat fish, while we're bad because we eat cows.

• Like 1

The other thing to remember here is that there's so much diversity in the secondary market, it's probably pretty rare any of us are actually competing. Unless all you do is buy cheap and sell the next day, odds are your method is unique enough in time and place that never your paths shall meet. For example, let's count all the ways to sell a Funhouse. I can sell each figure. I can sell one lot of heroes and one of villains. I can sell all the figs plus the batcycle. I can sell the funhouse with no figs. I can sell the bricks in lots sorted by colors, then the manual, then the stickers, then the box. I can auction the sealed set starting at .99 or I can BIN at 45, 50, 60. I can flip it right now, or I can hold it until eol. After eol on a set, the Lego market seems to dictate that supply is irrelevant. As long as the set is popular (not a dud), the demand is there.

Edit: of course, all this is possible because Lego controls the supply from the manufacturing end of things. And with supply limits come purchase limits. I for one am glad Lego is proactive in this regard. A tighter primary market should mean a tighter secondary market, which means fewer sales for the same profits for all of us.

• Like 3

I can assure you if you'd buy 5 in lifetime noone would ban you.... even if you'd buy ten (assuming you have 10 kids from relatives etc.)

Its based on common LOGIC i'd bet.... I bet LEGO has a file for each order connected to your name/address/VIP card number which they check or are instructed to check on each order...  When they see ''wow he ordered 40 funhouses'' they know you dont have so many kids, and this is not battle pack for army builders, so they just weed out by logic and see you as a reseller. Noone buys and opens 50 or 30 funhouses for himself I bet... 

I cannot see any downside from being banned for buying such LARGE quantities of any set ... I am personally more worried about lack of overview in every shop so you will still be able to buy large quantities in some shops... 

Simply do not put all eggs in 1 basket.... I put 1000$ in LEGO, 1000$ in stocks,  5000$ on my bank account for 4.5% annual interest and I keep 1000$ for emergencies... 

And that way I will 

a) never get banned

B) never worry even if i somehow do get banned (when i can order from LEGO)

If you spend 15k per month for LEGO ofcourse you will be flagged(i dont even make 15k in a year), spread your investing into other things and you will be fine.

Its never about that... Its about the fact even if we would want to succeed like you or anyone of the big guns we are limited by our funds... Even if I would want to order 50 Funhouses I cannot because I make 800$ a month.... And i am left with about 100$ a month after I pay for all there needs to be paid (my pension is paid before I get the money different system than in US) 

Yes nobody should feel hassled if they want to invest 50 or 500 of something, but dont expect tons of approval either... If my opinion is counter to yours you should not blame us for pointing fingers on your ways, its just expressing OPINION, nothing more or less.

I just dont feel sympathies on people buying 50 or 500 of anything and then blaming shops for blacklisting them... shops have such rights if I recall, but you can always take it to the court and let us know if you won the case...

indeed it is, its just this topic only effects about 50 people on this site.... out of a couple of thousand....  

Its more of a sign that we need to buy LESS LEGO and diversify even more. Or take such thing on the court.

Its all my little opinion nothing else, I dont hate or dislike big investors, I think they are great, but I must say I feel no sympathies towards people being banned for ordering really large quantities of exclusive sets. I bet LEGO wants those sets to reach their kids and their parents and not resellers or investors and I think that is right. 

Buying 50 medium to large LEGO sets of one type is a gutsy move...maybe some would say foolish even,  I don't invest that way, nor do I recommend others to do so, but it is a viable strategy for some.  Banning a person for buying within the rules is wrong.  Banning them for circumventing the rules is acceptable, as long as the rules are posted and clear for all to see.  While many of us are in this for profit, most of us also build and enjoy the sets.  Those who just use LEGO bricks as a commodity will gain little respect from many LEGO fans, but they have a right to do so, at least in my opinion.

What is my main issue with all of this is a sort of erosion of freedoms and capitalism in this country(US).  There is a touch of Socialism mixed in with the limits set forth by retailers IMO.  It's similar to the "spread the wealth" idea.  I don't want to make it sound too political, but if a person wants to risk their money buying 50 LEGO sets as an investment, they should be able to, Little Johnny will still be able to buy a LEGO set.  There is no guarantee these sets will appreciate.  Heck, I'm sure some people bought 50 Prince of Persia sets thinking they were "Da Bomb."  Why don't the retailers complain when a person was buying up the terds?  Even LEGO was happy to unload their B-Wings(even though I like the set), I didn't see any mass suspensions for that sell off.  Just my two cents...

• Like 1

Interesting topic.  I agree with others that Lego can do what they like to limit purchases.  Seems to me they're just trying to spread the sets out so they don't have backorder situations as often.  With some people here spending $50k or more a year on Lego, I can understand why they might like to limit quantities. 

I know you and the Macks agree with my sentiments....and lots of others here as well...but its not worth it.

Willy -I caught your message as well.

I have learned a lot from this thread. I will be more careful with my purchase quantities from now on - but that will require me to modify a strategy that was making a great return.

I have also learned to use the ignore user feature. Some posters just troll too much and don't offer any good advice to balance it. This will come off harsh to some but I know many will agree - I don't need input from people who aren't at my investing level or above. I am trying to advance and grow my business, and I want to share with people who are doing the same or are already at a high level. It reminds me of when I was big into online poker. The forum I participated in had micro, small, medium, and high stakes sections. Because the people playing $2 no limit don't need advice from those playing $2000 no limit and vice versa. (please note that is just for example and not in any way a suggestion to organize this site. It wouldn't really work in this setting)

• Like 2

I have learned a lot from this thread. I will be more careful with my purchase quantities from now on - but that will require me to modify a strategy that was making a great return.

I have also learned to use the ignore user feature. Some posters just troll too much and don't offer any good advice to balance it. This will come off harsh to some but I know many will agree - I don't need input from people who aren't at my investing level or above. I am trying to advance and grow my business, and I want to share with people who are doing the same or are already at a high level. It reminds me of when I was big into online poker. The forum I participated in had micro, small, medium, and high stakes sections. Because the people playing $2 no limit don't need advice from those playing $2000 no limit and vice versa. (please note that is just for example and not in any way a suggestion to organize this site. It wouldn't really work in this setting)

I'm glad your attitude about sharing knowledge has led you to block us little guys. Of course, this means you're not reading this post. You also won't read my next post about a steal on ebay, either. Anyone who thinks they can only learn from those at the same level will remain at that level, blessed with the knowledge they started with. Cheers!

I'm glad your attitude about sharing knowledge has led you to block us little guys. Of course, this means you're not reading this post. You also won't read my next post about a steal on ebay, either. Anyone who thinks they can only learn from those at the same level will remain at that level, blessed with the knowledge they started with. Cheers!

I don't think willy was referring to you, and I know that I wasn't. Regardless, my opinion is my opinion and it remains unchanged. The game is very different if you have $100 or $1000 or 10,000 or $100,000 invested. I think this thread and the quantity/purchase restrictions and bans makes that clear.

I would like to respectfully disagree with this logic. In am not going to call out anyone on this site but I could give you several examples of this being BS. As for the poker analogy, If I sit down at a poker table with Doyle Brunson, and a bunch of other famous names in poker, would that mean I am a poker all star?? If I drop 50k on LEGO a month does that automatically make me some investing guru who knows all the ins and outs of the game?
  • Like 1