What Lego set did you buy today?

1 hour ago, Deanfjr said:

I keep seeing VS @ retail but still have not pulled the trigger due to many people hitting them on sale is holding me back :(

Yeah... I have my target already... but seeing how so many here are saying this is a "can't lose" purchase, makes me nervous.  It seems almost anytime I've seen this much agreement here about a set that will be a "guaranteed winner", it rarely pans out.  Don't get me wrong. I like the set, and think it should do well in retirement... but I'm already dialing down my expectations, mostly because so many investors seem to be jumping on it right now.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Kenxxx said:

Yeah... I have my target already... but seeing how so many here are saying this is a "can't lose" purchase, makes me nervous.  It seems almost anytime I've seen this much agreement here about a set that will be a "guaranteed winner", it rarely pans out.  Don't get me wrong. I like the set, and think it should do well in retirement... but I'm already dialing down my expectations, mostly because so many investors seem to be jumping on it right now.

I agree with your post. I think there will be some other sleeper sets in Lego Architecture that have not had so much hype around them that will be fine to invest in. Don't get me wrong I wanted to own the VS but not for retail based on how many times it was sold at a discounted price that I missed. I always tell myself that there are going to be better deals ahead so to forget about the ones that have passed me by...

Edited by Deanfjr

1 hour ago, Kenxxx said:

Same happened with Fallingwater and Farnsworth with many jumping in at EOL, and they have panned at well.  You got to take into account that about 50% that buy them will blow them out less than a year from when it retires. 

Same will happen with VS.  I'd rather have 3 VS to every Tumbler.  I'm not even bothering with Tumblers, because I know how that's going to pan out.  VS is sort of the french version of Fallingwater.  These sets based on homes and mansions tend to do better than landmarks.  While, I expect it to do much better in Europe, it should still do very well in the states.

Edited by fossilrock

Queen Anne's Revenge and Black Pearl - $240 combined on CL.  They are keepers.  My husband and son are ecstatic.   I saw the post an hour after it was posted originally for $155.  People sent in higher offers.  I told them I could not match the higher than $240 offers but could pick-up in 30 minutes.  SOLD!  My husband picked up.  Young man wanted money for Star Wars Legos and was getting rid of his ships (keeping his Imperial Flagship).  Wish I had known that and could have executed a good trade.  Oh well...happy here.

Picked up a 4842 HP Castle on eBay for $200 with ship.  No box but manuals and all figures.  Listing indicated a low completion % but the pic told a different story.  Think it was a typo on the seller's part.

• Like 5

Most important purchase of the day, even more important than going to the LEGO store, was swinging by the Coach handbag store.

I double stacked my VIP coupon with the in-store promo to pick the wife up 2 new purses and a wallet. Total RRP of the items $975. I paid $287, good for a 70% off discount. All paid for with proceeds from two LEGO set sales this week.

For the newer members, purchases like this are key to keeping the spouse happy, and go a long way in reducing any friction over my LEGO expenditures.

Nice. Gotta keep the spouse happy. Thanks for reminding me too.....I gotta give the wife a couple bucks. I'm due.

A trip to the local LV store always works.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Dr. Brick said:

42034 Texhnic Mercedes Arocs $160

60052 Freighttrain $152

74094 Imperium Shuttle Tydirium $93

70413 Brick Bounty $85

1. No

2. good price but trains get rehashed every other year if not sooner. To build for sure. Investment I'd spend elsewhere.

3. Many bought in at $75 Walmart clearance. Great looking set. If no more are available in your area I'd buy it. If you have ample supply left wait for a possibly better deal.

4. Was also purchased by many for less, but was just marked retired, is hard to come by, and should perform well based on past experience. I'd buy it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trstnkn said:

Queen Anne's Revenge and Black Pearl - $240 combined on CL.  They are keepers.  My husband and son are ecstatic.   I saw the post an hour after it was posted originally for $155.  People sent in higher offers.  I told them I could not match the higher than $240 offers but could pick-up in 30 minutes.  SOLD!  My husband picked up.  Young man wanted money for Star Wars Legos and was getting rid of his ships (keeping his Imperial Flagship).  Wish I had known that and could have executed a good trade.  Oh well...happy here.

Picked up a 4842 HP Castle on eBay for $200 with ship.  No box but manuals and all figures.  Listing indicated a low completion % but the pic told a different story.  Think it was a typo on the seller's part.

QAR and BP are two of my favorite sets $240 for those is a great deal.  I've built and sold QAR so many times I can put much of it together from memory. Too bad he's keeping the Imperial Flagship, if you still have his contact info send him a nice email asking to get "first shot" should he ever chose to sell it. I've done well doing that in the past.

• Like 1

LOTR frenzy: 79018 Lonely Mountain (like 10% above MSRP), 10237 ToO (15% above MSRP), 79006 Elrond council (10% less than MSRP), 79016 Attack on Laketown (10% less than MSRP). All for personal collection, but probably I won't be opening them for a while

I hate paying above MSRP, so that ToO kinda hurt but oh well, still a great deal given current prices.

Plus I also bought 75030 (Falcon) and 75032  (X-wing) microfighters - 6 of each for MSRP. I will hold onto 5 of each - hopefully the sales will cover the difference between ToO's MSRP and what I paid for it. 

All bought at local retailers, great haul overall.

Just won an auction for a "gently used" Sopwith Camel 10226 for $74.85!  Missed out on this during its run because I came into Lego only late last year with the new Millenium Falcon... Really excited.  Says it's complete, maybe only missing tiny bits.  Appears very dusty in the photos so it will get a nice soap and water bath before I assemble!