What Lego set did you buy today?

Made my first Kmart.com purchase today. Nothing spectacular (and definitely not a "look at my savings" post), but just funny how this worked .... Bought a few small Friends sets on sale for my daughter (Popstar recording studio for $22, Roadster for $11 and Jungle Bike for $13). Checked Retailmenot for a coupon and found a $5 off $45 one which I applied but I needed to be a SYW member. Signed up as a member, got my additional $5 off (since my total was $46 it dropped to $41), got free shipping ($35+) and upon completing the sale, got $5 in bonus points back. So in the end I got $60 worth of LEGO for $41 and change, 32% off, plus $5 off of a next order.

I thought Kmart and Sears were not doing so well ... why are they throwing money at me?

Edited by Phil B

8 hours ago, Phil B said:

I thought Kmart and Sears were not doing so well ... why are they throwing money at me?

They need to pay people to shop at their stores.  It gives the shareholders the illusion of revenue.  Even with all free credits being given away, revenue is still down for both stores.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Phil B said:

Made my first Kmart.com purchase today. Nothing spectacular (and definitely not a "look at my savings" post), but just funny how this worked .... Bought a few small Friends sets on sale for my daughter (Popstar recording studio for $22, Roadster for $11 and Jungle Bike for $13). Checked Retailmenot for a coupon and found a $5 off $45 one which I applied but I needed to be a SYW member. Signed up as a member, got my additional $5 off (since my total was $46 it dropped to $41), got free shipping ($35+) and upon completing the sale, got $5 in bonus points back. So in the end I got $60 worth of LEGO for $41 and change, 32% off, plus $5 off of a next order.

Simple really.  the CEO of the parent company wants to build an online shopping portal, which is SYW (blend of ****** and alibaba).  Rather than fund this the normal way, with massive VC cash, he is going old school.  Basically leaching cash from Kmart and Sears to build up the new company.  Kmart will go under as it debt increases and ultimately file for bankruptcy (again), and likely disappear as assets are sold off.  Sears may not die out completely but will also declare bankruptcy (again), and some of their sub brands may be sold off (craftsman, lands end, kenmore, etc).  But since SYW, SEARS, and Kmart are all separate corporations SYW will be insulated from the bankruptcies.  SYW becomes a billion dollar shopping portal (probably not but thats the plan...), and the parent company goes on to higher profits after shedding all the dead weight (ie debt).

and of course we get to ride along, filling our own pockets, then jumping ship when we see the waterfall...

Edited by jay4e
  • Like 5

My purchases over last week;

2 Harry Potters 4840- These I sold way to early and they have been sky rocketing ever since.  I am sold on the theme and think will be long term holds

1 harry potter 4867- wanted this to sit on and maybe bundle with hogwarts.  Once again these have really stated to take off. 

5- ninjago city 70728   I love this set and had such fun building with my son.  By far the best ninjago we have built and displays great 

1 Star wars rebel Ghost-  I missed out on these as I had no interest and thought looked terrible.  Now watching show with my boys I love it and want more to hold.  A huge part of the show ( a crappy MF)

2- Star wars Rebels Tie advanced-  Great set and wonderful figs

5- Jurassic world indominus Rex 75919- I am sold on the series and think this will be a great one down the road.  I wish though I could have got at discounts

1- Temple of Airjitsu     This might be my favorite looking set in a long time.  I think many people are not giving it credit due to the ninjago line

My buy list going forward are more Sandcrawlers, Mixer (loved building this and is a great set), Ferris Wheels, Ferrari's, Poes x-wings, new tie fighter, more Slave 1's and Usc tie fighters.  

50 minutes ago, Deeker said:

[snip]

1- Temple of Airjitsu     This might be my favorite looking set in a long time.  I think many people are not giving it credit due to the ninjago line

[snip]

I'm saving up for that one too - a double VIP weekend in the Apr-Jun timeframe would be awesome, as I also have a 100 VIP bonus points coupon from the calendar. Let's just hope they stay in stock at my LEGO store .... :(

9 minutes ago, Phil B said:

I'm saving up for that one too - a double VIP weekend in the Apr-Jun timeframe would be awesome, as I also have a 100 VIP bonus points coupon from the calendar. Let's just hope they stay in stock at my LEGO store .... :(

Lately I have seen Raise.com lego gift cards are readily available near 5%. As of now there are couple of 3.8%. If you stack them you get pretty close to double VIP which is additional 5%. I wouldn't wait for double VIP if you really want them.

Guest ph4tb0i
1 hour ago, Deeker said:

I have to say I want that set too the next time there's double vip. It's been the only ninjago set so far that I could say I really want. 

Going to have to see how to integrate a Yoshinoya and a Yodobashi Camera moc next to it. hahaha

I like the fact that all the major characters are included with the set to go along with its nice design. Being a kid's set still makes me wary though. This one will probably never discount either, so additional risk...

9 minutes ago, Yinchuan said:

I like the fact that all the major characters are included with the set to go along with its nice design. Being a kid's set still makes me wary though. This one will probably never discount either, so additional risk...

It may never have a direct discount, but they were offering $30-$50 sets free with purchase before the holidays. That's not nothing.