What Lego set did you buy today?

It all comes down to being in the right place at the right time for a lot of these deals. If a store is having a sale you need to go there soon. I found going just a day or 2 after the sale starts is pointless because all of the good stuff is gone.

The other thing you have to remember is that some people just have more time on their hands to search for these deals. If you take in to consideration the time I spend looking for deals both online and in store plus the gas I use to drive from store to store I bet I'm not saving any more money than you are just occasionally finding a good deal online.

I know. Believe me, I know. It's all a matter of luck of the draw, really. I have had my moments of luck that were very brief or there was a catch, like a "Darth Maul's Sith Infiltrator" for $29.50 at Wal-Mart that was opened, half put together and was missing some parts or finding a BOGO at Target but I don't have the cash.

Evertime I go out for work or shopping, I stop by my main Wal-Mart and Target. Sometimes I very sparsely go to Kmart and another Wal-Mart that's about five minutes away from the main one just for the heck of it. I check the web beforehand, make a note of any deals I find, and try to just pricematch at Target if I can. Buying online hasn't been all that beneficial to me. In fact, I end up paying more for an online purchase (even with a discount) than an instore buy. I always get killed in the shipping & handling.

Well here's something else that goes against me. There isn't a single Shopko in my state! Took forever, but the closest one that mapquest or google maps shows is about 300 miles away. I'm not THAT desperate for a deal. Sheesh.

Guest ph4tb0i

Picked up 2 Heartlake Vets today at Walmart for 38. Same price as amazon but i'm betting these will be nicely paired with the heartlake stables set for resale during summer/christmas. :)

Fun day today. In Atlanta for business and had a mostly free day. Rented a car and decided to do some Lego hunting. Probably should have gone to Walmarts and bought clearance stuff there, but hey, I can do that at home, so I went for some other stuff. Had some good luck and went a little nuts. Mostly hit up TRU and B&******, as the ones at home are pretty much cleared out. Day started well picking up 2 x 4867 Hogwarts and 2 x 4865 Forbidden Forest at the first B&****** I went to. Then hit my first TRU, and right on the shelf was 1 x 10212 Imperial Shuttle! Finally picked one up, with the $20 off, so not too bad. Also picked up a bunch of polybags, some Friends, Hobbit, Lord of the Rings. That was when my first credit card got declined - forgot that B of A, to their credit - would shut it down pretty quickly when a $300 charge shows up in Georgia and I live in WA, haha. Next TRU found a nice mint 2507 Fire Temple randomly on the shelf. Had to pay the bloated TRU retail, but I figure I'll just flip this in a month or two and make $75-$100 the way the set is rising. Only other TRU buys were a 5549 retro style Building Fun box on clearance for $19.99, and a 5609 Duplo Deluxe Train on clearance for $65. The latter was probably a dumb purchase just because of the fact I have to get it home somehow. Can flip it for double pretty much immediately though. B&****** around ATL was pretty good for more Harry Potter stuff - picked up 2 x 4738 Hagrid's Hut, 1 x 4866 Knight's Bus, and a couple of Star Wars Mandelorian Battle Packs. I left a bunch of Potter stuff behind actually - found some more Hogwarts and Hagrid's Huts with some really crushed boxes. My inner box snob decided to leave them as a nice find for someone else. Lego karma? My favorite of all though might be finding a 8089 Wampa's Cave at the last B&****** I went to. Such a cool set, and the only Wampa figure. Now to get all of this home somehow....

Can someone please tell me why and how B&****** is still carrying HP stuff??? Where are get find all these EOL sets from and why just HP??

If Shopko can have Series 5 minifigures, then B&****** can certainly have HP!

Love my logic? lol

Love my logic? lol

this is where my luck runs out...i am pretty good at finding the current clearance items and maximizing my deal potential on them by stacking them with coupons and/or sales, but i have yet to come across a set that has been eol for some time just sitting on the shelf waiting to be had. some day...some day.

Love my logic? lol

this is where my luck runs out...i am pretty good at finding the current clearance items and maximizing my deal potential on them by stacking them with coupons and/or sales, but i have yet to come across a set that has been eol for some time just sitting on the shelf waiting to be had. some day...some day.

To my point in my post though, what you're doing is much better from an investment standpoint, than paying full retail for HP sets you guys probably have stacks of you got on sale from Amazon.

It is more fun as a collector to stumble upon them though. :-)

Picked up a 9468 Vampyre Castle for $88, a 3186 Emma's Horse Trailer for $25 and two 3938 Andrea's Bunny House for $5 each. Best thing for me about the Friends line is my daughter and her friends love them so I buy some for her and some to put away to sell later and if they don't appreciate in value I have a ready supply of gifts for birthday parties. A win either way!

Might have had my best Craigslist find to date. Picked up 6080 - King's Castle 6061 - Siege Tower 6074 - Black Falcon's Fortress All used, complete with instructions and boxes and no fading to any pieces. $45 Lady had picked them up at a Goodwill in Omaha and I happened to be driving up there last night when the ad showed up on my phone. If you guys don't have list alert on your phones you need to if you are into finding deals on Craigslist. Will be able to turn this stuff around really fast for around $300

Might have had my best Craigslist find to date. Picked up

6080 - King's Castle

6061 - Siege Tower

6074 - Black Falcon's Fortress

All used, complete with instructions and boxes and no fading to any pieces. $45 Lady had picked them up at a Goodwill in Omaha and I happened to be driving up there last night when the ad showed up on my phone. If you guys don't have list alert on your phones you need to if you are into finding deals on Craigslist.

Will be able to turn this stuff around really fast for around $300

Great find. What service do you use to get Craigslist alerts?

Great find. What service do you use to get Craigslist alerts?

It's called list-alert.com. Someone else on the site referred me to it. You put in the searches you want sent to your email. Similar to "saved searches" on ebay. You can filter it out by your city or the categories you want sent so that you aren't getting hits for every Lego Star Wars video game that shows up on there. I need to change mine to add garage sales now that March is here. It seems to get you the hits about an hour or two after they are listed, so it seems to do searches every few hours or so and spit them out because sometimes I will get several at a time. Very helpful if you like finding stuff on there.

Love my logic? lol

To my point in my post though, what you're doing is much better from an investment standpoint, than paying full retail for HP sets you guys probably have stacks of you got on sale from Amazon.

It is more fun as a collector to stumble upon them though. :-)

The only reason B&****** still has HP is because they put them in the HP book section under the table where nobody looking for Lego thinks to look. Stumbled upon them last December, I was very excited.

1 x 3181 Passenger Plane @ $39 2 x 10231 Shuttle Expeditions @ $129 1 x 3186 Emma's Horse Trailer @ $29 I had hoped to get all the 3182 sets K-Mart had but someone else had beaten me to it. The Shuttles have been sitting on the shelf for awhile (RRP here was $159.99) and decided since I didn't get my 3182 sets to bite the bullet and get the Shuttles. I was tempted to pick up a couple of 4209 Fire Plane sets which were discounted down to $49 but might get them later if they haven't moved. Might go check out Target later on and see what they have in the way of Friends sets