What Lego set did you buy today?

I feel really bad for the prices people pay outside the United States. I just doesnt make any sense to me. Maybe someone more versed in econonmics and such can explain it to me, or maybe it has nothing to do with economics......someone please help me!

Here is an old response (2008) to this question from Lego:

"Our selling costs in Europe and Asia are higher than in the US because of the size of US market and retailers (economies of scale). Furthermore, the US market is by far the most price competitive in the world. These factors combined mean that we have for years priced our products higher in eg Europe than the US. In recent years, the difference has been increased due to the weakening US dollar

Not sure if I should say I bought the Grand Emporium or Pet Shop. I bought a Grand Emporium from eBay. It arrived and I opened the box and it was all sealed Pet Shop (10218) bags. Not sure how that happens.

Thats pretty weird. Not sure why anyone would switch out sets, what did the seals look like?

Thats pretty weird. Not sure why anyone would switch out sets, what did the seals look like?

It was sold as an "incomplete set" and in a damaged box.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271166524352?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

The good news is it was a complete Pet Shop set. Although I already have 2 of those so I was really hoping for another Grand Emporium. I'm just looking for pieces to build other buildings.

It was sold as an "incomplete set" and in a damaged box.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271166524352?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

The good news is it was a complete Pet Shop set. Although I already have 2 of those so I was really hoping for another Grand Emporium. I'm just looking for pieces to build other buildings.

The person is from Hattiesburg, MS. Maybe it's Brett Favre? Wouldn't that be something, to know that Favre is selling Lego sets since his retirement.

Not sure if I should say I bought the Grand Emporium or Pet Shop. I bought a Grand Emporium from eBay. It arrived and I opened the box and it was all sealed Pet Shop (10218) bags. Not sure how that happens.

That's the wierdest one I've ever heard. Course it would have been even wierder if you had bought the set through Shop-at-Home.

Congratulations! How long did it take to make it happen? And if I may ask how much did you save yourself?

Count me in on being curious. That must be one heck of a numbers crunch.

Are you using some sort of adhesive to bond to plywood?

I used F-26 construction adhesive. I just put it together tonight. I used a 30" by 96" solid core door blank. I put bricks all over it, and flipped it over so the weight of the door will put even pressure overnight.

IMPORTANT UPDATE - Never use F-26 to glue LEGO plates to anything. Even though the tube states that it can be used on plastic, it will react with the plates and soften and distort the plates. Unfortunately, I did not test and glued all 27 plates down. Life lessons can be tough.

Hi Vandiver,

I tried to PM you, but it doesn't seem like I was successful as I see nothing in my 'sent' folder.

Anyways, sorry to hear about your experience. Should you decide to tackle this project again, I wanted to share with you that 'liquid nails' worked for me. I constructed my table using four 15'x15' sheets on 11/16" plywood. I got the idea of using liquid nails from a couple sources on the web, but I wasn't entirely comfortable using just an adhesive. I ended up using the smallest stainless screws I could find at the local Depot for additional support. The only down side is that it creates a slight dimple/depression where the screws are installed, but I decided that it was an acceptable 'flaw' for me. I've had this lego table for over a year now and it has not delaminated under normal use, so I'm fairly comfortable with endorsing this. Whatever you decide, good luck.

To All,

Sorry to go off-topic.