Retiring Soon - open speculation

where can you readily get 7965's for $100 or less right now??

Who cares?  You can easily get them for $119 and will make money on them even at that price.  With some sets, chasing the best possible discount becomes counter-productive when you're on the cusp of EOL.

Hmmm... I wonder when Tower Bridge will be retired. With the Creator Expert Landmarks, One Is usually retired when the next comes out. For Example.

10181 retired when 10189 Came out,

10189 retired when Tower Bridge Came Out.

But Tower Bridge not retired when Sydney Opera House Came Out.

Strange, isn't it.

Who cares? You can easily get them for $119 and will make money on them even at that price. With some sets, chasing the best possible discount becomes counter-productive when you're on the cusp of EOL.

Right. In the "old days" of LEGO investing, the price you bought an item for was that key factor because every set was discounted at some point. Now, with fewer deals on the top sets, just buy the damn sets. LOL. Too many people wait for sales that will never come, then can't buy them with EOL knocking on the door because they are scarce or sold out.
  • Like 2

Right. In the "old days" of LEGO investing, the price you bought an item for was that key factor because every set was discounted at some point. Now, with fewer deals on the top sets, just buy the damn sets. LOL. Too many people wait for sales that will never come, then can't buy them with EOL knocking on the door because they are scarce or sold out.

Indeed.  One of the biggest factors that has changed the landscape over the last year is Walmart's new approach to clearance sales.  Two years ago, it was a lot riskier to buy sets that might go on clearance at WM at the end of the year because those sets tended to be available in massive quantities across the entire country at 50%, which had the effect of depressing the secondary market price.  Now that WM has cut way back on its clearance practices, it is a lot safer to buy sets at much lower discounts (15%-30%).

Indeed.  One of the biggest factors that has changed the landscape over the last year is Walmart's new approach to clearance sales.  Two years ago, it was a lot riskier to buy sets that might go on clearance at WM at the end of the year because those sets tended to be available in massive quantities across the entire country at 50%, which had the effect of depressing the secondary market price.  Now that WM has cut way back on its clearance practices, it is a lot safer to buy sets at much lower discounts (15%-30%).

Honestly, the three Walmarts by me suck.  There were never any discounts close to that.  Never. Nada. None.

Honestly, the three Walmarts by me suck.  There were never any discounts close to that.  Never. Nada. None.

Same here , anything in the city hardly gets any clearance.  Maybe 15% with a few 30% discounts but they sell so quick its pretty much useless.  Now if you go out an hour each way around the city then I see the 30-50% deals but usually on smaller sets.

Went to about 50 Wal-marts the last month or so (a few family trips *** FL TN, boy did the family like that LOL)  and found 3 7965 that were at the $100 clearance.  Every other store was 139.97.  

I disagree with this.  I have a few sets that I have bought at 50% off, that if I would have gotten at a 15-30% discount, I would be extremely disappointed.  Not saying this will apply to all sets, but the majority of sets I buy are bought at either retail (exclusives), or 50% off.

I disagree with this.  I have a few sets that I have bought at 50% off, that if I would have gotten at a 15-30% discount, I would be extremely disappointed.  Not saying this will apply to all sets, but the majority of sets I buy are bought at either retail (exclusives), or 50% off.

I'm not saying that it works for every set, but it's much less risky than it used to be since you don't have to worry about the possibility of competing with sellers who will be able to buy the set at 50% off.  If you pick correctly, you can buy sets at MSRP and still make a killing.  The trick is all in knowing how to pick the right sets.