Retiring Soon - open speculation

they are merely "sold out" with "retiring soon" tag.. They are not retired officially. De-facto they are. But neither "sold out" not "retiring soon" mean jack. Combined, they are quite definite, but unless they are marked retired, they are not retired

Does retired soon not mean production has stopped?

Besides Cinderella's Romantic Castle, the list is hardly a surprise.

even if the frozen ice castle is true, it makes no sense for cinderalla's castle to be on a 1 yr manufacturing run.  then again, i know disney likes limited releases (but that's DVDs). ...weren't all the disney themes to-date have a 12-18 month run (granted, slow sales were prob part of it).

even if the frozen ice castle is true, it makes no sense for cinderalla's castle to be on a 1 yr manufacturing run.  then again, i know disney likes limited releases (but that's DVDs). ...weren't all the disney themes to-date have a 12-18 month run (granted, slow sales were prob part of it).

The upcoming 2015 Cinderella movie is the most important factor that casts doubt. Unless they are planning some different set to be tied to movie release

Besides Cinderella's Romantic Castle, the list is hardly a surprise.

I would say the Millenium Falcon is a surprise. Its been out for several years so the longevity is there, however with the leaked photos showing the Falcon will feature in the new episode 7, you had to wonder if they wouldn't have kept it alive. Many have speculated the ucs r2 will live beyond its typical life cycle for the same reason.

I would say the Millenium Falcon is a surprise. Its been out for several years so the longevity is there, however with the leaked photos showing the Falcon will feature in the new episode 7, you had to wonder if they wouldn't have kept it alive. Many have speculated the ucs r2 will live beyond its typical life cycle for the same reason.

Not really IMO.  With the strong rumors of another Falcon(large MF playset?) being released, this one has to go.  

I am not sure why everyone thinks that whatever appears in the upcoming movies would affect TLG's decision on what current sets to keep on the market.  In each instance that I can think of where TLG has tied sets to a movie, those sets have been released in conjunction with the movie.  7965 is a set designed to the OT standards of the MF.  Although it might experience a bump when the new movie comes out if the rumors about the MF are true, TLG will make more money by coming out with an entirely new MF set that is keyed to the new movie.

Not really IMO.  With the strong rumors of another Falcon(large MF playset?) being released, this one has to go.  

I could see the 7965MF staying around for a while, if there were to be a UCS MF and not a playset version. Look at the X-Wings. There is a playset version that is available, but there is also a UCS version and both have been for sale together for a year now.

People don't mention this much, but I think Lego likes to retire sets and then rerelease them with slight modifications and a 10-30% higher MSRP.  The company really doesn't seem to like raising prices on existing sets, so this is their only way of doing something similar.  I think 10188 is likely EOL for the same reason; it's just too good a deal compared with every Star Wars set made since 2008; if it came out this year, it would easily retail for $499.  Anyway, MF could reasonably retire for this reason also.  On the other hand, that ship (like the X-Wing, A-Wing, Y-Wing, and Snowspeeder) is one they always like to have in production, and this likely limits the upside on it.

I think we need to consider JJ Abrams as well when considering what the new vehicles will look like. He subtlety changed the Enterprise and gave them a more modem look. He can do the same with the new movie Falcon that would make the older versions obsolete.

I thought that the new X-wing looked more modern, not sure how that one will translate into Lego though.

I believe the most obvious reason is that the new ISD took its place among the OT playsets. Same price category and similarly iconic. The simplest answer may be the best in this case instead of the far-fetched speculations about incoming products. 

In the not exclusive segment LEGO actually cares about sets competing with each other since they are not considered as collectible by the company. The people who really wanted that Falcon already have it. The parents who are looking for that kind of toy are probably indifferent between those two. Thus LEGO can reduce costs and relieve shelf space.