Retiring Soon - open speculation

It was like that for a while already in the EU. The US still shows backordered (although they just moved the date back there...).

Hmm.  Where is the Association of Paranoid Turkish People who Happen to Live in Germany when you need them?  I was impressed with how they motivated Lego to declare the EOL date for Jabba's Palace well in advance.  If only they'd had a bone to pick with the SSD...  Anyway, surely a broken down old house filled with monsters is sufficiently offensive?  They must just not know about it (maybe because their Google image search scanning algorithm only looks for things that sort of resemble mosques).  If I had their e-mail address...

• Like 1

I wanted to post in the 10221 SSD discussion, but I guess the moderators have removed it or it looks this way. Being retired in the US, doesn't mean it's not available around the world but I guess that what happens outside of the US is not important at all. It is quite disappointing and makes me wonder why even bother spending time here :(

Back to the topic and for these poor mortals souls still interested: It went TOS in LEGO UK yesterday. I was thinking this set will be available in Europe/UK until Christmas time, but it may disappear even sooner. Good news!

I wanted to post in the 10221 SSD discussion, but I guess the moderators have removed it or it looks this way. Being retired in the US, doesn't mean it's not available around the world but I guess that what happens outside of the US is not important at all. It is quite disappointing and makes me wonder why even bother spending time here :(

Back to the topic and for these poor mortals souls still interested: It went TOS in LEGO UK yesterday. I was thinking this set will be available in Europe/UK until Christmas time, but it may disappear even sooner. Good news!

Well, there does appear to be 2 distinct LEGO secondary markets... The US and everyone else. As time goes on I realize the two are distancing themselves from one another. It's not that prices of sets are much different in the secondary market, but it's becoming clear that LEGO itself treats the two markets quite differently. Higher MSRPs in one region, no sales on exclusives in another is keeping interaction at a minimum. I also believe that reselling is more of an American phenomena.
  • Like 1

Well, there does appear to be 2 distinct LEGO secondary markets... The US and everyone else. As time goes on I realize the two are distancing themselves from one another. It's not that prices of sets are much different in the secondary market, but it's becoming clear that LEGO itself treats the two markets quite differently. Higher MSRPs in one region, no sales on exclusives in another is keeping interaction at a minimum. I also believe that reselling is more of an American phenomena.

The reselling market for Lego is very competitieve in the US but rising strongly in EU (or at least Belgium). EU is just slower. Other differences are holidays. That is why haunted house I believe is still around in US for halloween

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Brickpicker mobile app

Yes, there clearly is a difference between US and EU/Asia/Australia/etc. However, does this mean the thread had to be moved/closed? As us europeans are in the minority on this site. I believe we paid a more than fair contribution to the thread. For us europeans and other continents except US the discussion is still alive and kicking. So I do not quite understand the reasoning above.

I am still curious if there is some data available on how the members geographically are divided. Which % are americans, Ausies, etc.

On a side note: I think reselling is not more of an American Phenomena. For example the dutch have had a longer trading history. The story even goes we traded New Amsterdam (currently New York). 

• Like 1

Ed was sharing his opinion.

To a few European members,

Can we stop with making this personal. Honestly, I respect my European friends, love traveling to Europe (5 visits since 2007) and Lego collectors but honestly, I still couldn't care less about non-US data despite 25% of my sales coming from Europe. However, know who cares about non-US data? JEFF AND ED CARE.

Brickpicker currently share news from Euro centric Lego web sites, links, Ads, deals, and oh yeah, the price guide contains non-US sales data. That data is pretty expansive. We also welcome non-US constructive threads.

So please cease with getting defensive with the US vs. Euro talk. Brickpicker is by far a very friendly and informative GLOBAL web site.

Please keep this thread on-topic.

• Like 1

Yes, there clearly is a difference between US and EU/Asia/Australia/etc. However, does this mean the thread had to be moved/closed? As us europeans are in the minority on this site. I believe we paid a more than fair contribution to the thread. For us europeans and other continents except US the discussion is still alive and kicking. So I do not quite understand the reasoning above.

I am still curious if there is some data available on how the members geographically are divided. Which % are americans, Ausies, etc.

On a side note: I think reselling is not more of an American Phenomena. For example the dutch have had a longer trading history. The story even goes we traded New Amsterdam (currently New York).

What thread are you talking about that was locked or removed? I have no idea what you are talking about. As for non-US members, I would just like to say that the costs of running this site QUADRUPLED to bring UK, Australian and EU data, so Jeff and I are serious about making this a worldwide site. If one thread was locked or moved, then I m sorry, but don't relate one to the other.

I understand Ed gave his opinion. I just reacted that I did not understand that reselling was an american phenomenom. I do not take it personal at all. Was just an opinion. Offcourse reselling Lego is bigger in the US. Lego reacts to it accordingly. As it does react differently on other continents.

I will stop giving my opinion or react on others opinion. It was no harm intended.

• Like 1

What thread are you talking about that was locked or removed? I have no idea what you are talking about. As for non-US members, I would just like to say that the costs of running this site QUADRUPLED to bring UK, Australian and EU data, so Jeff and I are serious about making this a worldwide site. If one thread was locked or moved, then I m sorry, but don't relate one to the other.

I am very grateful for all the hard work you and Jeff and the admins perform! Thank you for making this great ,soon to be completely global, site!

• Like 1

EU data is a good proxy for US and vice versa. We are all talking about sunspots no better than soothsaying regarding retirement, however the strongest sign still is that a product goes EOL in one of the markets. No better indicator of close EOL than that. If a product retires in one market you can bet that it will retire in the other one within a year in the worst case, but usually only within a few months.

Anybody in this game who disregards fluctuations of stocks in other markets as well as retirement neglects vital information from him- or herself, thus potentially making his or her investment decisions less profitable. In a market where information is the most valuable asset disregarding it is not the wisest to do, even if some pieces turn out eventually to be worthless because ignoring all of it leads to overlooking key data in the long run. 

For example SSD went first in the US. Just assume the reverse scenario for a moment, that SSD went EOL in the EU first. Considering the US is still being the stronger market in terms of reselling activity, so the remaining stocks dry up faster, resulting a shorter time window for acting, which investor would have made more profits? The one who had jumped at EU EOL news and bought a stash at MSRP or the one who had waited out US EOL and bought at $600?

• Like 1

He's talking about the SSD thread which is still there... Jeff unsubscribed people from some of the longer threads because they are causing email traffic jams.

You have to manually look for it (or gasp, use the search feature). Some people just like to complain though.

Like me... I wish folks in the US wouldn't offer free shipping because it skews the data for Canadians. Our shipping rates are double or triple for lots of sets so it's a pain in the ass trying to figure out what a set might do post retirement.

(There.. I used the retire word so I'm on topic right?)

He's talking about the SSD thread which is still there... Jeff unsubscribed people from some of the longer threads because they are causing email traffic jams.

You have to manually look for it (or gasp, use the search feature). Some people just like to complain though.

Like me... I wish folks in the US wouldn't offer free shipping because it skews the data for Canadians. Our shipping rates are double or triple for lots of sets so it's a pain in the ass trying to figure out what a set might do post retirement.

(There.. I used the retire word so I'm on topic right?)

Right, there is no grand scheme to cheat non-US members of anything.  On the contrary, we are trying to make the site more friendly for non-US members.  The SSD thread is becoming too large.  It slows emails and response time, so maybe some responses are moved or deleted.  It's not personal...just computer guy mumbo jumbo...

• Like 1

Do you think the Lego 10235 Winter Village Market will retire this year?  It appears to be on track for that based on non LEGO Shop at Home availability and prior timelines.

There are about 14 on ebay under $150 excluding about 40 with someone named thebrickdude who is selling at about $129.

Would this be a safe investment to pickup some of these from Lego and unload at Christmas this year or next?

Not sure why it is not talked about more...

Do you think the Lego 10235 Winter Village Market will retire this year? It appears to be on track for that based on non S@H availability and prior timelines.

There are about 14 on ebay under $150 excluding about 40 with someone named thebrickdude who is selling at about $129.

Would this be a safe investment to pickup some of these from Lego and unload at Christmas this year or next?

Not sure why it is not talked about more...

The general agreement is that it will retire after Christmas. While not the best set in the theme and won't do as well at WVC it is a must to complete your winter village.

Originally the WV sets lasted 3 years, but the more recent releases have only lasted 2.  Therefore, this is likely the last season for the Market.  Here is a recap with my order of desirability.  The Market is tied for last, but that's sort of like being the ugliest girl at the Miss America pageant.  It's still pretty hot.  (btw I love this theme.)

#3 Toy Shop 3 Years, #4 Bakery 3 years, #5 Post Office 2 years, #1 Cottage 2 years, #5 Market 2 years?, #2 Santa Workshop ?

• Like 1

Manually look for it? I can't find it at all and it doesn't come up using the search feature! I was wondering where this thread disappeared to and the same for the Research Institute thread in the Cuusoo section which has also gone awol.....help please!