Retiring Soon - open speculation

I don't think there's going to be anyone here that's going to be able to give you a definitive answer on the licence. If I was to hazard a guess I'd say two or three years.

LEGO wouldn't make that many new molds just to finish off a niche set/theme within 2 years. You can expect The Simpsons to linger around another few years.

LEGO wouldn't make that many new molds just to finish off a niche set/theme within 2 years. You can expect The Simpsons to linger around another few years.

I'm sure profits pay for the moulds very quickly. There have been many niche sets over the years and very few exceed a 2-3 year lifespan. That said its difficult to know what Lego have in mind. They could have signed a long term contract with a plan to expand the range if the Simpson House takes off.

How does everyone feel about Arctic Batman 76000 ? Seems to be readily available online, but losing its Brick & Mortar presence.

I'm seeing that it was clearanced out at Target B&M (still available online at discount, limit 8) , Currently on Clearance at several B&M Walmarts, and discounted online (limit 5).

Stll "Available Now" at Lego (limit 5, so that's not very limited by their standards), so no real hint at disappearing, but i could see this one going poof all of a sudden like Wolverine did.

thoughts?

How does everyone feel about Arctic Batman 76000 ? Seems to be readily available online, but losing its Brick & Mortar presence.

I'm seeing that it was clearanced out at Target B&M (still available online at discount, limit 8) , Currently on Clearance at several B&M Walmarts, and discounted online (limit 5).

Stll "Available Now" at Lego (limit 5, so that's not very limited by their standards), so no real hint at disappearing, but i could see this one going poof all of a sudden like Wolverine did.

thoughts?

I agree it is a cool set. And will do good after retirement. I guess. Indeed it almost disappeared at retailers. To me, that means it is a popular set. I still need to order some of these. But I am waiting for a price of 15 euro. Than I will hit. Hit hard.

I agree it is a cool set. And will do good after retirement. I guess. Indeed it almost disappeared at retailers. To me, that means it is a popular set. I still need to order some of these. But I am waiting for a price of 15 euro. Than I will hit. Hit hard.

I'm stocked up on Arctic Batman and Power Armor Lex.  I'm a believer in both of these sets, although I'm a little heavier on Arctic Batman since I was able to find a bunch for 50% off.  I think its a pretty good assumption that we aren't going to see Aquaman again in the near future, so that should drive up the price somewhat.

How does everyone feel about Arctic Batman 76000 ? Seems to be readily available online, but losing its Brick & Mortar presence.

thoughts?

Are the discounts you are seeing worth mentioning? Or are we talking like two bucks off. I and b and m stores usually have differing options on a clearence price.

I'm stocked up on Arctic Batman and Power Armor Lex.  I'm a believer in both of these sets, although I'm a little heavier on Arctic Batman since I was able to find a bunch for 50% off.  I think its a pretty good assumption that we aren't going to see Aquaman again in the near future, so that should drive up the price somewhat.

May want to check out this link regarding Aquaman.

http://www.thebrickfan.com/lego-dc-comics-super-heroes-2015-set-details/

Does anyone know how long Lego has the Simpsons license?  I'm assuming the CMF line will retire before October, when the next series arrives, but I'm wondering if we have any way to predict EOL for the house?

no more production of simpson house in september...

You are predicting that it will retire in September?? I would think at least another year and a half...

Another year and a half at least. Lego usually keeps licensed sets out for two years to make up for the various licensing costs that are required to make a set legally. I think that the Simpsons House would be out for at least two and a half more years because of all the new molds that were made for the Simpsons minifigures. Making and maintaining new molds ain't cheap.

I'm sure profits pay for the moulds very quickly. There have been many niche sets over the years and very few exceed a 2-3 year lifespan. That said its difficult to know what Lego have in mind. They could have signed a long term contract with a plan to expand the range if the Simpson House takes off.

I think you do not know a bit about the toys and injection molding business , recovering the investment for a new line it is never a matter of months and it is not only the investment in molds, but production lines, packaging development, marketing, product license,  and a whole lot of other stuff that it is impossible to recover all that in less than a year.....

Take it from me , I worked 5 years for Mattel and now I own and injection molding business....

• Like 1

That said its difficult to know what Lego have in mind. They could have signed a long term contract with a plan to expand the range if the Simpson House takes off.

IMO using the Simpson House as an indicator of the potential the Simpsons has as a whole is a terrible indicator. A very small number of LEGO's customers can afford to buy a $200 set. If LEGO was truely trying to "test the market", they would produce a handful of lower costing sest, ones that uses fewer molds, as to minimize the potential loss.

I'm thinking that this will be a standalone set, much like what the HH is now, basically a solo-set theme. 

IMO using the Simpson House as an indicator of the potential the Simpsons has as a whole is a terrible indicator. A very small number of LEGO's customers can afford to buy a $200 set. If LEGO was truely trying to "test the market", they would produce a handful of lower costing sest, ones that uses fewer molds, as to minimize the potential loss.

I'm thinking that this will be a standalone set, much like what the HH is now, basically a solo-set theme. 

Agree with this.  And I think the theme could have done well with a variety of sets at different price points, like a Bart's treehouse for $40, Homer's workstation for $20, etc. And if they wanted to do another large set, I guarantee the Stonecutter's HQ would be a big hit with long time fans of the show. But it looks like this one is CMF's and the house, and that'll be all she wrote.

Definitely. And already seeing nice returns. Hopefully too many people didn't skip on this one. I think its at least a $215 set.

This set has been done for almost a year, at least in the U.S.  Best deal was when Target was blowing them out for almost 50% off online last year.  This set will go well past $215 in time.  It's easily a $300-$400 set in a few years given the pace that it's currently on.

• Like 1

Definitely. And already seeing nice returns. Hopefully too many people didn't skip on this one. I think its at least a $215 set.

I have 7, average buy in around $85, so pretty good really.  I was pretty surprised when I looked at it and saw that it hadn't technically "retired" yet.