Retiring Soon - open speculation

There's something about the Castle packing that seems off to me. Not sure exactly what it is. Target clearly is getting rid of them, Walmart thinning out perhaps. Could end up the next "TRU Exclusive" line, ala Monster Fighters. 

You miss a canal? The gate is designed to be used for when you have a canal. But on the box there is no canal surrounding the castle..

Guest TabbyBoy

Those that expect 10214 to perform like 10181 and 10189 may be disappointed.  Sources tell me at approx.12x the amount of TBs have been produced and are much more widely available.  In the UK, I reckon

If you guys are talking about the 70404 castle set I think we have a loser here.

When there is some discounted item, it's always here.

It looks too much childish. No details on the walls. It's a castle, but it's not appealing for the customers (it doesn't catch the eye). This line is not as shiny as the kingdoms were.

Even with 50% off I wouldn't grab any (well ok, just one...).

edit: great I'm a brickulator now !

... I just hope my 500 posts are not garbage ah ah >_>

I've been buying a few of these castle sets for 50% off, but I'm not going crazy on them.  I have the castle and dragon mountain to give to the kids for their birthdays, and I'm stashing the rest.  If anything, I can use the parts for my own MOCs if I can't sell them.

Where did you hear this information?

What is important is how many sets bought are kept sealed?...... even if they have produced 12x more than previous models - how many of the TB's will be opened and used.  I'm in the MISB market -  I don't think there will be 12x more sealed sets than the Taj at the time the Taj went EOL?..

Just my opinion though

Guest TabbyBoy

Where did you hear this information?

Danish wife of a German friend who works for Merlin at Legoland, Windsor and used to be on Lego's sales team.  I can't mention her name but, she's come true a few times.  i've been into Lego for years and I do see a hell of a lot more TBs than I did ETs and TMs even though I didn't pay quite as much attention then.  It's just a matter of time before a disgruntled employee joins us and spills the beans.

Danish wife of a German friend who works for Merlin at Legoland, Windsor and used to be on Lego's sales team.  I can't mention her name but, she's come true a few times.  i've been into Lego for years and I do see a hell of a lot more TBs than I did ETs and TMs even though I didn't pay quite as much attention then.  It's just a matter of time before a disgruntled employee joins us and spills the beans.

I guess time will tell - when you say you've seen a lot more - are you referring to shops/ebay etc?  The key for me is how many of these sets will be kept sealed...

What is important is how many sets bought are kept sealed?...... even if they have produced 12x more than previous models - how many of the TB's will be opened and used.  I'm in the MISB market -  I don't think there will be 12x more sealed sets than the Taj at the time the Taj went EOL?..

Just my opinion though

I will disagree with you there.  There will without a doubt be many many more TBs put away than TM simply because we've all had the past 3 years to sit and watch TM shoot up in value.  How all of those additional sets will affect the aftermarket price of TB is the real question.  I suspect that TB will eventually creep up to somewhere close to TM, but that it will take a long time for it to do so.

It is true that TB is not as rare and there is loads of them, but hey! LEGO is ever more popular now between adults and kids and people in general! So despite the massive number of sets produced, there is a bigger customer base for us. Not ideal, but hey...its not the end of the world,is it..

Saying that...I was driving along the motorway several months ago and I was changing the radio stations looking for some decent music to listen to and heard the Radio presenter saying something very interesting. Apparently, David Beckham is a huge LEGO fan and loves building Lego and the Tower Bridge was the last thing he built over that weekend in question. Whenever he is on a trip overseas he locks himself in the hotel room and builds lego! Awesome! If all the footballers and their wives and mistresses (and the whole entourage for that matter) could be lego fans...that would be good enough for me :))))

I've got 5 and stopped buying them long time ago as there is no sight where this thing will retire. Looks like forever to me...

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy

The TB wil be the most significant retirement to date when it does finally go as we'll then have a better idea of the future of Lego investing.  I reckon a lot of these will be dumped soon after EOL due to the space they take up so keep them for the long haul if you can.

I like the castles.  I think they do alright.  I think they do best when there is no other castle in the forseeable future and the latest castle can see a sharp rise.  If one replaces the other almost immediately like the cargo trains I think the price will not rise for a long long time unless Lego raises the msrp on their most current castle set.

It was available for one year...

UNITED STATES 24 Oct 07 - 26 Nov 08

I don't think so. On Brickset.com is says that it released in 2002. It seems that most of the data for availability at LEGO Shop at Home seems to start around 2007, even though some sets were released earlier.