Retiring Soon - open speculation

My Logging trucks and Unimogs have been retired for quite some time and haven't seen much changes in price... :/

Unimogs are slowing climbing and the Logging trucks seem to have stalled

Technic sets are steady, but slow growers. Not everyone is a fan of the Technic theme, so it takes longer than regular sets to appreciate...but many do, so be patient.

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

• Like 1

My Logging trucks and Unimogs have been retired for quite some time and haven't seen much changes in price... :/ 

Unimogs are slowing climbing and the Logging trucks seem to have stalled

They were retired less than 6 months ago. Heck some TRUs still have them in stock. I think we are looking for patience ;)

• Like 1

Technic sets are steady, but slow growers. Not everyone is a fan of the Technic theme, so it takes longer than regular sets to appreciate...but many do, so be patient.

Thanks Ed, I wasn't aware that they were slower growers, but it makes sense

Should we expect this one to start clearing out of Target stores in July?

3168 Friends Emma's Horse Trailer

Not many Target stores around here have this in stock.  Looks like it's gone from the LEGO website and Target.com has them listed for $25.99 as does their ebay store.  Maybe this is the last chance unless you get lucky and find a retail store that puts it on clearance soon.  Even at just over full retail, this one could be a solid performer by Christmas since there are a lot of Friends horse-themed sets, but none of the others have a horse trailer.  Hmmm.  I might have to pick up a few.

Thanks Ed, I wasn't aware that they were slower growers, but it makes sense

It's a niche market. Technic has some passionate fans and many of the larger Technic sets appreciate to very high levels, but besides the 41999, most Technic sets don't get a lot of attention from resellers. One thing that works against them is exposure...or lack of it. Many retailers don't carry Technic sets, so kids don't always pay attention to the theme.

They do appreciate though. You will be pleasantly surprised in a year or two with the growth of many Technic sets.

• Like 1

Since my first technic...I know have a a two+ shelves of Technic (19) 9398 4x4, (15) 9396, (11) 42006, (11) 42000 (I will be buying more of this one),(4) 42007 Dirt Bikes, (2) 42009 MKII.

Large F1 type cars have done very well historically.

Another bonus not many mention: Technic sets can still be discounted!  Just ask those who hit the gold mine on the 42009 Mobile Crane from Meijers.

I was only able to snag (10) 42006 Excavators

Should we expect this one to start clearing out of Target stores in July?

3168 Friends Emma's Horse Trailer

Not many Target stores around here have this in stock.  Looks like it's gone from the LEGO website and Target.com has them listed for $25.99 as does their ebay store.  Maybe this is the last chance unless you get lucky and find a retail store that puts it on clearance soon.  Even at just over full retail, this one could be a solid performer by Christmas since there are a lot of Friends horse-themed sets, but none of the others have a horse trailer.  Hmmm.  I might have to pick up a few.

I picked up one of these for my daughter a couple months ago, and she loves it.  It's a pretty nifty little set.  It's well built, and, as you said, the only horse trailer around.

If you notice, there's a couple of little mini-themes within the Friends line, and the "country" line is a big hit. The latest episode of Friends of Heartlake City, had the girls going out to a farm, so everything farm related was hit (including the newborn foal).

It's a small set that I can see appreciating pretty well.

DS vs. SSD   this is a good discussion.
Let me start by saying both are awesome sets and will do excellent after retirement.
I have the same amount of both, but will have slightly more DS.
Many people think just because the DS has been available for 6 years will tarnish its demand. 

During those 6 years, I can bet many investors strayed away from it and allocated their money somewhere else.
I would guess there are much more GE FB VW sets out there in storage than DS. 
I have always been a strong "demand"  is heavier than weak "supply"  thinker.
Meaning, Even though the DS has more set out there than the SSD, the future "Demand" for the DS out weights the "lower" supply of the SSD

A Strong " low supply" thinker would say the SSD would have a heavier gain because supply is low.
But I think the "Demand" side for the DS is heavier than the Supply side for the SSD making the DS a better investment.
If the Strong "supply" theory determines future value, then the B-Wing would be a killer Hit by now (13 months in Production, = Low supply)
The B-wing is a dud, because the "Demand" is no where to be found even though the supply is low.

DS vs. SSD   this is a good discussion.

Let me start by saying both are awesome sets and will do excellent after retirement.

Many people think just because the DS has been available for 6 years will tarnish its demand. 

During those 6 years, I can bet many investors strayed away from it and allocated their money somewhere else.

I have always been a strong "demand"  is heavier than weak "supply"  thinker.

Meaning, Even though the DS has more set out there than the SSD, the future "Demand" for the DS out weights the "lower" supply of the SSD

A Strong " low supply" thinker would say the SSD would have a heavier gain because supply is low.

But I think the "Demand" side for the DS is heavier than the Supply side for the SSD making the DS a better investment.

If the Strong "supply" theory determines future value, then the B-Wing would be a killer Hit by now (13 months in Production, = Low supply)

The B-wing is a dud, because the "Demand" is no where to be found even though the supply is low.

On the supply side, there were roughly twice as many sellers of DS on amazon than sellers of SSD, when both sets were available. Demand side is trickier, it could easily happen that there would be more people willing to pay 1K for SSD than people willing to pay 1K for DS, even if there were more people willing to pay $400 for DS, than people willing to pay $400 for SSD. I.e. the chances are, once post EOL, the nature of demand could change as price moves up

DS vs. SSD this is a good discussion.

I have always been a strong "demand" is heavier than weak "supply" thinker.

The SSD is probably one of the most impressive display LEGO sets ever created. It is elegant and nasty looking at the same time. The 10188 is really not a display set...it is a play set. It's my opinion that AFOLs with the discretionary income to buy either set will choose the SSD more often than not. As a serious LEGO and STAR WARS fan, I like serious sets. SSD is as serious as they come.

• Like 3