Retiring Soon - open speculation

Guest TabbyBoy

Since the DS is a "toy" rather than a collector's masterpiece like the SSD, I think there'll be tears for DS owners which is why I'll never, ever buy one - I also can't stand the out-of-scale monstrosity . The SSD will outperform the DS 2-fold I think. TBH... I think the DS could be a turkey due to shear numbers out there, investors following like sheep and long production run which is still running. Just my 2p worth and what I don't buy means more for you lot. In 2017, I say "I told you so!"

It looks like the retiring soon tag has been updated.  Here are the ones I care about, 

3185 Friends Summer Riding Camp

3168 Friends Emma's Horse Trailer

4439 Heavy Lift Helicopter

79004 Hobbit Barrel Escape

7939 Cargo Train

7938 Passenger Train

9464 Vampyre Hearse

• Like 1

It looks like the retiring soon tag has been updated.  Here are the ones I care about, 

3185 Friends Summer Riding Camp

3168 Friends Emma's Horse Trailer

4439 Heavy Lift Helicopter

79004 Hobbit Barrel Escape

7939 Cargo Train

7938 Passenger Train

9464 Vampyre Hearse

Vampyre Hearse was in retiring soon for quite some time

I love the 10188, but people have to factor in that the Death Star has been sold for 6 YEARS, twice as long as the SSD if both were retired in the next several months. Common sense would then dictate that there are twice as many 10188s floating around than SSDs. You can make a case for each one if you just compare set to set, but the longer production run will stunt the appreciation of the 10188 IMO.

at least.  i bet there are 4-5x as many 10188s out there than 10221.  at $400 with a couple of (yawn) minifigs, 10221 wasn't a consistent / good seller until recently (or during the huge discount days before may 2013).

10188s seems to sell well even at full retail and it's dated minifigs.

I believe the SSD will perform better as well but I think everyone is talking themselves out of the DS needlessly.  It is the most popular SW set and will continue to be years from now I'm guessing.  So everyone who never got one who wanted one because it is too expensive or any new Star Wars fans down the road will NEED this set.  People who only want one amazing standout lego set will want the DS.  People who are star wars fans and only want one thing to represent lego will want the DS to sit on their shelf.  There aren't many nice death star toys/playsets.   It has an army of minifigs.  There is a lot going for this set. 

10188s seems to sell well even at full retail and it's dated minifigs.

A friend of mine posted a video of his 6-year old son on Facebook opening a 10188 just yesterday.  I warned him it would take weeks to put together.

Geesh, spoiled kids these days.  I guess I don't have much room to talk.

I found this on the Facbook page for Lego Shop at Home.  A reply to a question about the Mixels confirms Series 1 is at an end.

"The Mixels will have a product availability similar to the collectible minifigures series"