Retiring Soon - open speculation

I'm glad to see the Galaxy Squad sets on clearance at LEGO Shop at Home. Going to take a while for these to get out of the market, but the Galactic Titan was only out about a year, seems like a nice modest portfolio booster if you're willing to hold a while. I'm happy to have 3 good ones to save, and 1 bashed box to build.

I would call that a sale, not clearence. Once they get to 50%-75% off, then we could talk clearance...

Previous releases have performed well.  

http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/set.cfm?set=3451-1

http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/set.cfm?set=10024-1

Why not this one?

The old Camel was released THIRTEEN years ago - quite a while to wait for these kind of gains. Furthermore today the market is different from ten years ago. The new Camel will not be considered a rare item as so many people have stocked up on it. Add this to what I said above and it tells me: don't buy. Furthermore, take a look at the UK price and CAGR fot the old one - this is what I imagine realistic for the new one, too. The US price seems quite overvalued for some reason. Maybe too many investors in the US game.

And regarding the Fokker Dr.1: This is completely another topic! The Camel is nothing like Richthofen's Fokker Dr. 1. If you asked me about buying a new Fokker my advice would be the direct opposite of what I said about buaing the Camel. For me this is like comparing a Gremlin to the the Mini Cooper.

What LEGO chooses to put in the catalogs is also partially dependant on the popularity of certain sets/themes in different regions. Star Wars isn't as big in Europe, so naturally, LEGO wouldn't promote it as much, since it is more likely that a customer would be interested in some other set - Technic, for example, which I hear is very popular "across the pond". 

Where do you get your sources that Star Wars isn't as big in Europe?

The old Camel was released THIRTEEN years ago - quite a while to wait for these kind of gains. Furthermore today the market is different from ten years ago. The new Camel will not be considered a rare item as so many people have stocked up on it. Add this to what I said above and it tells me: don't buy. Furthermore, take a look at the UK price and CAGR fot the old one - this is what I imagine realistic for the new one, too. The US price seems quite overvalued for some reason. Maybe too many investors in the US game.

And regarding the Fokker Dr.1: This is completely another topic! The Camel is nothing like Richthofen's Fokker Dr. 1. If you asked me about buying a new Fokker my advice would be the direct opposite of what I said about buaing the Camel. For me this is like comparing a Gremlin to the the Mini Cooper.

Agree about comparing the SC to the Fokker Dr 1 plus the latter has a cooler name ;)

Many WW1 Lego enthusiasts are hoping a refreshed Red Baron set is released. That is part of the reason many 10226 SC fans mention it.

Have you ever built a 10226? If not, I suggest you do. I was totally down on the 10226 as an investment until I built it. Just give it a try.

Used sets can be had for $70-$75.

These prices have been plateaued for years, they didn't just reach these levels last year.

Plus, you said earlier that there were few WW1 enthusiasts, a big reason to stay away. The gains from both of these older sets tell me there were plenty that would plunk down big money for WWI sets.

Also, re: your comment that the market has changed, you're right. There are many more AFOLs and Lego collectors now than there were eleven years ago. The secondary market is MUCH larger.

You're welcome to do what you please with your money, but I think you are way overthinking this. People will pay $ for SC. They have in the past, they will again.

• Like 2

Agree about comparing the SC to the Fokker Dr 1 plus the latter has a cooler name ;)

Many WW1 Lego enthusiasts are hoping a refreshed Red Baron set is released. That is part of the reason many 10226 SC fans mention it.

Have you ever built a 10226? If not, I suggest you do. I was totally down on the 10226 as an investment until I built it. Just give it a try.

Used sets can be had for $70-$75.

Thanks for the tip, Jason. "Unfortunately" LEGO is only business for me. I do absolutely like to look at the sets live (in Stores) and imagine how cool it would be to have them if a were a LEGO-building fan, I love to look at your reviews and news about new ones coming up, I also actually like to look at unbosing videos. But actually building the sets is not for me, anyway. I used to do so as a kid, but never returned to it after that.

This "not-building" "policy" is simply due to me not wanting wo own too many stuff. Regardless of if I like it or not. Thinking about how it would be to have this or that set does the job for me already.

I say go with your gut instict. If you buy a huge amount of a single set and it doesn't do well......o well that is the gamble you take when playing this game. There is no more easy in this game and if you ask me there never was. All these articles on the Internet and in print saying buy Lego sell Lego easy money are fooling some people. I guarantee there many people who have already dropped out because it wasn't the easy money they had hoped it would be.

• Like 1

Where do you get your sources that Star Wars isn't as big in Europe?

Just based on what I've read from the forums. No real proof, but SW is more widespread here in the US.

So, Pet Shop is back in stock at Amazon, but Townhall did not make it? What gives??

Maybe it takes longer to ship TH's then PS? ;) I'm pretty sure it will come in stock. I don't think TLG will retire two modulars in one year.

To be honest, I never really understood why people love the Sopwith Camel as an investment (winner). Personally I do like the model and its functionalities. And if you are able to buy cheap you will get some profit post-EOL. But I just dont see people going crazy about this set anytime post-EOL. Firstly it is a historic plane from WW1 - not a very popular era, not a very "popular" war (even less talked about in the US than in Europe), no really popular machinery aside from Fokker Dr.1. And from my point of view the 100th anniversary will hardly do anything to drive up interest in the whole WW1 topic. Secondly, there is no theme the Camel could be added to. Thirdly, just take a look at the Camel polybag vs. the T1 polybag...

I think even in 3 years after EOL you can be happy if the Camel sees a gain of +50% on the retail price. I doubt it will ever reach double retail price at any point. So the question I ask is: Why buy ANY Camels as long as there is a T1 right next to it (on the shelves)? My guess is: If the Camel was about to retire this year, it could be included in the June or December sales since I think I wont clear out by itself fast enough if LEGO stopped production now. Of course I dont have sales data from LEGO for the Camel, I just cannot imagine personally it sells that well.

I am wondering the difference in sales is down to something simpler. Ease of display. The VW and the up and coming Mini will fit onto a small shelf. The SC won't. It looks great but I have no where to put it.

But I think the SC will outlast the VW. :)