Retiring Soon - open speculation

Interesting... try searching for the term "lego walmart discontinued" without quotes on google, and see the wording in the little summaries in search results from walmart.com

Weird... not that we did not know... but do they know better?

It looks like it's just part of the javascript box allowing you to select the different delivery/collect from store options. It's in all the items if you right click and "view source" on the purchase/delivery options bit, so it's justsome placeholder text so it can update the visible information appropriately as and when it needs to show it.

Basically the various "states" the product can be in at any given time, and then all it has to do is show whichever message is appropriate depending on their database/stock system or whatever it's connected to. There's one directly below it for the "out of stock" message.

All that the google search then does is scrape the web pages for the various text fields and probably because of what you've searched for it's decided to show those phrases in the info on the results page, even if it's not necessarily visible when you visit their website, because it's not quite that smart... yet.

Some R2-D2 and SSD news...

http://www.reddit.com/r/lego/comments/23qn1h/10225_r2d2_retiring/

This is unnerving. Any Brickpickers in Chicago can confirm and ask? 

Edit: Here's what the post says-

"My wife was at the Michigan Ave. Lego store in downtown Chicago today and they had a retiring soon tag on the UCS R2-D2. Same sign was on the UCS SSD.

This is the first confirmation, but I know both of these were rumored to be leaving soon.

The cashier confirmed that what they have is all they're getting."

Of course, the "cashier confirmed" is always taken with a grain of salt, but the EOL tags...Anyone else seen these pop up? 

Some R2-D2 and SSD news...

http://www.reddit.com/r/lego/comments/23qn1h/10225_r2d2_retiring/

This is unnerving. Any Brickpickers in Chicago can confirm and ask? 

Edit: Here's what the post says-

"My wife was at the Michigan Ave. Lego store in downtown Chicago today and they had a retiring soon tag on the UCS R2-D2. Same sign was on the UCS SSD.

This is the first confirmation, but I know both of these were rumored to be leaving soon.

The cashier confirmed that what they have is all they're getting."

Of course, the "cashier confirmed" is always taken with a grain of salt, but the EOL tags...Anyone else seen these pop up? 

Someone needs to take a picture of that sign.

And yes, if the sign is up then its the first step towards retirement. 

I really don't want the R2D2 to go this year.  Still need to get more. 

Called and talked to "Jonathan" at the Chicago store. He said they have one R2D2 and a bunch of SSDs right at this moment.

He didn't know about future shipments. Usually they know about the shipping list the week before.

Hope this helps.

Called and talked to "Jonathan" at the Chicago store. He said they have one R2D2 and a bunch of SSDs right at this moment.

He didn't know about future shipments. Usually they know about the shipping list the week before.

Hope this helps.

Just called and talked to.him.too. the one on Michigan ave. He confirmed there is NOT a retiring soon tag on either set. I don't know if that is the wrong store. I'm curious.

Hope this helps.

Just called and talked to.him.too. the one on Michigan ave. He confirmed there is NOT a retiring soon tag on either set. I don't know if that is the wrong store. I'm curious.

I even called another store in IL and they denied it as well.

I have a lot of free time on my hands right now

Once again, if there is one store with retiring tags there is high probability that more stores have these tags. Called three stores in southern California and none had the tags.

I have a conspiracy tlg is using smoke and mirrors to move out the death star. I want fan mail when I'm right haha

I even called another store in IL and they denied it as well.

I have a lot of free time on my hands right now

take care of your newborn. Deadbeat dad.

Could it be time finally for 6862? Lego.com and Walmart has an order max of 5. Amazon recently decreased it to 2 and sold well over 800 sets since Thursday. Target.com has been sold-out for a while but some stores still have them. Toysrus.com has them but the price is currently too high for people to buy there. It's been retired in Europe for months now.

This has already been a really long retail life for 6862...

Could it be time finally for 6862? Lego.com and Walmart has an order max of 5. Amazon recently decreased it to 2 and sold well over 800 sets since Thursday. Target.com has been sold-out for a while but some stores still have them. Toysrus.com has them but the price is currently too high for people to buy there. It's been retired in Europe for months now.

I think the time is indeed coming :D

Like 3 left on amazon...