Retiring Soon - open speculation

Why does the investing community call it EOL anyway?

It must come from other industries or companies. I had never heard it used to describe LEGO set retirement until a few months into this site. I can't remember if the article came after its use in the forums or if it was the other way around, but once it started getting used all the time (still really only here) it never stopped. I think there's a misconception now that this is what TLG uses to describe retirement, but it is not.

It must come from other industries or companies. I had never heard it used to describe LEGO set retirement until a few months into this site. I can't remember if the article came after its use in the forums or if it was the other way around, but once it started getting used all the time (still really only here) it never stopped. I think there's a misconception now that this is what TLG uses to describe retirement, but it is not.

You are right on the point. There is a term "shelf life" used for food and other perishable products, so it is a little misued here due to LEGO being a durable good.

Nonetheless, it describes how long products are kept on the shelf.

For LEGO traders the relevant issue is if sets can still be found at retail or not, ceasing production and distribution by the retailer is just only a signal for impending dry stocks, because it does not have an immediate effect on stocks of other retailers, although it can jump investors and speed up sales. So, actually, EOL might be an appropriate acronym.

For LEGO traders the relevant issue is if sets can still be found at retail or not, ceasing production and distribution by the retailer is just only a signal for impending dry stocks, because it does not have an immediate effect on stocks of other retailers, although it can jump investors and speed up sales. So, actually, EOL might be an appropriate acronym.

You'd be surprised how quickly bigger LEGO sets get cleared up as soon as the "retired product" signs appear on their S @ H pages.

You'd be surprised how quickly bigger LEGO sets get cleared up as soon as the "retired product" signs appear on their S @ H pages.

I am perfectly aware of that. But there are other smaller/unpopular sets which retailers just can't get rid of. Some sets dry up almost immediately, others can be easily found for a year or more after LEGO Shop at Home retirement.

Also depends on countries. I still could find FB in March under retail.

Yes... ontopic now! My email is full of emails from this thread and I hope to get news about retired sets. Nothing else please.

I went to my local lego shop today and they did not have any TB left! They had all the rest... GE, etc. Last week they still had several TB's.

Just for your info.

OK, enought off topic.  Lego website has more updates.  If you click on "Hard to find" SSD is gone.  If you go into star wars both SSD and DS are gone.  If you search by item number they come up, DS still shows in Hard to Find.

OMG the 10234 Sydney Opera House is doing the same thing...!!!! Shall we start rumor about 10234 EOL very very soon too ? ;)

Relax, they rearrange stuffs now and again and sometimes mess with the groupings.

OK, enought off topic.  Lego website has more updates.  If you click on "Hard to find" SSD is gone.  If you go into star wars both SSD and DS are gone.  If you search by item number they come up, DS still shows in Hard to Find.

Yes... ontopic now! My email is full of emails from this thread and I hope to get news about retired sets. Nothing else please.

I went to my local lego shop today and they did not have any TB left! They had all the rest... GE, etc. Last week they still had several TB's.

Just for your info.

Funny, I thought the discussion about changes in TRU's exclusives policies have a direct effect on any LEGO EOL/retirement discussion.  

• Like 2

Oh, we're posting what we've spotted in stores now? When I called at the beginning of this week, the two closest LEGO stores to me both had the GE in stock, and the SSD out of stock. I spotted a decent amount of everything else in the store I went to too - Death Star seemed to have been just restocked (employees were eager to point this out), and I saw decent amounts of TB, R2D2, and most of the other pre-mentioned exclusives.

Thanks waddamon, definitely seems like they're pushing these sets out of the limelight. Any of the experienced folk know if this correlates to the behaviour of past almost-EOL sets?

LEGO's website shift, combined with the French May the 4th advertisement posted earlier, makes me think that perhaps May the 4th will be one last hurrah for the SSD for them to clear out stock. Meaning that, they have enough to last another month in May, but no plans for further down the year. Whether or not they put it on a big or small discount is the question, but it probably won't be like the B-wing, seeing as the SSD is much more recognizable from the movies.

On a related unrelated note (since it seems the focus is on the larger sets, not the small fry), LEGO Movie Minifig polybags are probably heading out too, as the LEGO stores I called don't have them (or any of the Minifig polybags, for that matter) and I don't see it on any other major retailer websites...besides TRU. >____>;;

Wish they were still in stock, I need to build up eBay ratings soon...

• Like 1

^^ Sure, ignore my post.  Of course a simple logical explanation can be ignored as long as it supports a conclusion / agenda. ;)  Oh well, back to making fun of anakinisvader :)

Sorry I didn't consider your point. It's true that they might just be shifting things around, I just thought that perhaps two and two go together in suggesting EOL between the website changes and the flyer.

But then again, maybe not...

From another thread in response to the May the 4th flyer-

I got the same flyer at the Belgian Lego store (except it's in Dutch rather than French). Those are the sets you can win during a prize draw and are not necessarily the sets that will be available at 15% off during the May the 4th event. I doubt the Sandcrawler will be 15% off during it's first week.

So maybe both points I argued for are invalid. Time will tell on what ends up happening.

I still wonder why 10235 WV doesn't get any attention while being retired in Europe. WV sets are that bad?

I think smart investors pay attention to the Winter Village sets, but there are so many sets in the $100 range that some get lost in the shuffle.  

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy

OMG the 10234 Sydney Opera House is doing the same thing...!!!! Shall we start rumor about 10234 EOL very very soon too ? ;)

Relax, they rearrange stuffs now and again and sometimes mess with the groupings.

Shhh... There's a 10234 on eBay now where the number is wrong and it's in the wrong category.  This guy has massive 100% feedback and it's his first Lego sale by the looks of it.  I hope to snipe it for

Just curious...why you say something?  I get that we're all friendly here, but you're inviting people to try to ****** that out from under you.

I was also wondering that. I tried a simple search to find the listing he was talking about and couldn't find it. Maybe he would be kind enough to provide us witha link. :thumbsup:

Guest TabbyBoy

Just curious...why you say something?  I get that we're all friendly here, but you're inviting people to try to ****** that out from under you.

It's hard to find unless you either know the seller or you're looking for a certain item that has nothing to do with Lego. It's been on for 9 days and not a bid yet. I don't particularly want it and will only flip it the same day. I'm bidding