Retiring Soon - open speculation

I just noticed the best sellers in the US are newer but they also are often limit 5 instead of limit 1 or 2

which makes it easier for them to hit the best seller list I suppose.

maybe the UCS Tie will retire early as its been on sale on and off for months at Amazon and Walmart etc...

could it be another short lived UCS like B-wing or Obi-Wan?  I'm guessing the reason for all the good sales is because it's a slow seller but I'm just guessing  wild speculation 

10 hours ago, fossilrock said:

They are going to have to retire some of the old stuff, to make new sets seem more desirable. They just can't keep all the exclusives running, and then serve up rehashed sets.  That will drop interest faster than anything.  Fresh ideas will drive Lego into the future.  The more stale ideas they serve up, well, like when the Fonze jumped the shark, it's the telltale sign that innovation and new ideas are wearing thin, and things are about to go south. 

Why couldn't they just make occasional production runs of older sets like Pet Shop and Tower Bridge that would only be available from LEGO Shop at Home? This wouldn't stop LEGO from releasing new exclusive sets like in the past years.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Brian Briggs said:

Why couldn't they just make occasional production runs of older sets like Pet Shop and Tower Bridge that would only be available from LEGO Shop at Home? This wouldn't stop LEGO from releasing new exclusive sets like in the past years.

I am convinced they will move to this or a similar model sooner or later. We  have seen how record companies  have adapted to Mp3 and Napster and now you can buy individual songs instead of a full album. Same with netflix, hulu and others for TV and movies.

Lepin and the companies that start to clone Lepin iare going to push them to do something along these lines.

Edited by Val-E

1 hour ago, Val-E said:

I am convinced they will move to this or a similar model sooner or later. We  have seen how record companies  have adapted to Mp3 and Napster and now you can buy individual songs instead of a full album. Same with netflix, hulu and others for TV and movies.

Lepin and the companies that start to clone Lepin iare going to push them to do something along these lines.

Yeah, maybe they'll introduce a new category for decently popular sets like T1 etc. at LEGO Shop at Home like "LEGO Evergreens". I would assume that less popular sets would still be retired on a regular basis.

27 minutes ago, Brian Briggs said:

Yeah, maybe they'll introduce a new category for decently popular sets like T1 etc. at LEGO Shop at Home like "LEGO Evergreens". I would assume that less popular sets would still be retired on a regular basis.

Stop putting ideas in their mouths please. Ooh wait... I retired.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian Briggs said:

It could be retiring for that reason but maybe LEGO wants to keep it around for the release of the Ninjago movie next year.

mostly to be retired, and a new one for the movie will be made, has for the lego movie, they will be a huge set pretty sur

Edited by TargetZero

I dont' know if i'd put a lot of faith in the Lego Ninjago movie spurring this massive consumer assault on ninjago products. Just like Angry Birds, I see that being just a minor blip that will be quickly forgotten once that movie goes out of the theatres.  So, I think Lego would learn from Airjitsu and more than likely not make any more large scale sets for that lineup.  

Ninjago is an obvious kids oriented brands. It's not an AFOL brand, and so the best price point for Ninjago sets is from 10 to 30.00.  After it goes higher than that, the amount of sales of those sets probably drops considerably.

• Like 1

I was going to buy more 75059 Sandcrawler sets until I realized the side hatches should be black or dark bley.  Thus, new one is probably being rehashed and will still omit the UCS sticker plaque. 

Honestly, this is my fav Lego set of all-time and I think it's "down the stretch".

15 minutes ago, Alucard1982 said:

I might pick one up tomorrow.

• Like 1