Retiring Soon - open speculation

If there is another modular announced for 2017 then we can assume PS is done (2 in and 2 out since 2014 but TH was pulled a year ahead of schedule).

I too think that there are now better investments than these due to the multiplier effect of new investors and long life. How are prices in the US on Amazon and Ebay since it was Toos at SAH? This should indicate post EOL levels. A quick bricklink check shows no USD sales since May - worrying.

Edited by Val-E

10 minutes ago, Val-E said:

If there is another modular announced for 2017 then we can assume PS is done (2 in and 2 out since 2014 but TH was pulled a year ahead of schedule).

I too think that there are now better investments than these due to the multiplier effect of new investors and long life. How are prices in the US on Amazon and Ebay since it was Toos at SAH? This should indicate post EOL levels. A quick bricklink check shows no USD sales since May - worrying.

In the US this is available pretty much everywhere online - Target, Walmart, Amazon, Toys R Us.  

11 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Still available from all the other retailers but I can see plenty of offers on Amazon. I would expect $220 - $250 range the first year. Buy at heavy discounts and it is still an easy double. Modulars always have a great sales rank and will not be rehashed. PS is very popular. 

24 minutes ago, Val-E said:

If there is another modular announced for 2017 then we can assume PS is done

Aren't we assuming that for more than a year? PS has an unprecedented shelf life (for a modular), it's becoming one of those zombies like T1 or TB.

2 minutes ago, makromizer said:

Aren't we assuming that for more than a year? PS has an unprecedented shelf life (for a modular), it's becoming one of those zombies like T1 or TB.

So far it has been a logical path - if still isn´t gone this year and a new one comes out, then I scratch my head.

47 minutes ago, Val-E said:

What were the two modulars per year since 2014 that have retired?

Edited by Yinchuan

What is even more alarming is that lego is keeping many exclusives to themselves. So discounts are almost impossible and if an exclusive set finally retires it is merely impossible to buy some using F5. I think Town Hall was the last of the Mohicans in that matter.

Edited by Ciglione
spelling
  • Like 1

What is even more alarming is that lego is keeping many exclusives to themselves. So discounts are almost impossible and if an exclusive set finally retires it is merely impossible to buy some using F5. I think Town Hall was the last of the Mohicans in that matter.

We F5'd R2 after Town Hall.

19 hours ago, Ciglione said:

Lego currently has 28 Exclusive Sets on its site. And with Cinderella Castle and the new DS coming soon that will total up to 30 exclusives! 

So common sense tells me some have to go. 

Maybe this is Lego's strategy to address the problem with re-sellers. Product life depends on sales. Then mass retire a bunch of products to reduce the last minute hoarding. Good example was last Winter. We the Sea Cow, Death Star, Red Five, Tumbler, Tower of Orthanc all disappearing within 2-3 months apart which stretch resellers resources resulting in the reduction of mass hoarding re-sellers could of done if those sets were to retire evenly throughout the year. Of course, you can't stop those will tons of money like some here who managed to buy 50+ Tumblers from Target. But enough to throw a wrench in majority of our buying power on here.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, tacsniper said:

Maybe this is Lego's strategy to address the problem with re-sellers. Product life depends on sales. Then mass retire a bunch of products to reduce the last minute hoarding. Good example was last Winter. We the Sea Cow, Death Star, Red Five, Tumbler, Tower of Orthanc all disappearing within 2-3 months apart which stretch resellers resources resulting in the reduction of mass hoarding re-sellers could of done if those sets were to retire evenly throughout the year. Of course, you can't stop those will tons of money like some here who managed to buy 50+ Tumblers from Target. But enough to throw a wrench in majority of our buying power on here.

good points

I'm fairly certain LEGO aims at 4th quarter "sell outs" for retiring sets from most lines, so it's not as if the 2-3 month window was by design (i.e., staggered retirements), but  a function of when those exclusives finally sold out based on stock levels and popularity. Most retiring sets--whether labeled so or not--have sold out in the 4th quarter or close to it the last couple of years. 

And maybe I'm completely full of baloney. :jester:

5 minutes ago, biking_tiger said:

I'm fairly certain LEGO aims at 4th quarter "sell outs" for retiring sets from most lines, so it's not as if the 2-3 month window was by design (i.e., staggered retirements), but  a function of when those exclusives finally sold out based on stock levels and popularity. Most retiring sets--whether labeled so or not--have sold out in the 4th quarter or close to it the last couple of years. 

And maybe I'm completely full of baloney. :jester:

This. Until we see some hard evidence (an internal email or something), I will always have a hard time believing a multi-billion dollar company is actively doing anything to try to manipulate inventory levels of resellers. Maybe I'm wrong, but just isn't logical. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nolanfan34 said:

This. Until we see some hard evidence (an internal email or something), I will always have a hard time believing a multi-billion dollar company is actively doing anything to try to manipulate inventory levels of resellers. Maybe I'm wrong, but just isn't logical. 

It39s-a-secret-And-if-i-told-u-It-WOULDN

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tacsniper said:

Yeah... only for the elite.