Retiring Soon - open speculation

2 minutes ago, mesje said:

Please TLG, retire this set ASAP!! The situation is absurd, this set is here 5 years, and now we have 4 (!!!) creator expert cars together on the shelves!

It will either be the VW or the Mini. 

The VW is the more impressive of the two in my opinion. 

Guest TabbyBoy
44 minutes ago, Ciglione said:

It will either be the VW or the Mini. 

The VW is the more impressive of the two in my opinion. 

I think the F40 will go first as it's the more disappointing set in the theme IMHO. The yellow Lambo hasn't done well, has it? The new VW Beetle is an eyesore - was the designer visually (and cerebrally) impaired?

Guest TabbyBoy
4 hours ago, exciter1 said:

6b7397e67b9dc9487d96499bf7df0437.jpg

LOL - I've been camping for the last few days and drank a lot of red wine. I'm now sober but, another look at the new VW Beetle has caused me to reach for the corkscrew again.

Edited by TabbyBoy

LOL - I've been camping for the last few days and drank a lot of red wine. I'm now sober but, another look at the new VW Beetle has caused me to reach for the corkscrew again.

Here in the states the raccoons will skin you if you drink anything but Old Milwaukee and PBR when you're camping.
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

Here in the states the raccoons will skin you if you drink anything but Old Milwaukee and PBR when you're camping.

I thought that was the only reason people go  camping?  To avoid the shame of drinking Old Milwaukee and PBR within the borders of civilization? We've all worn that  shame at point...

• Like 2

Please TLG, retire this set ASAP!! The situation is absurd, this set is here 5 years, and now we have 4 (!!!) creator expert cars together on the shelves!

There are four Creator Expert cars in production because they are clearly very lucrative for TLG. The T1 Camper was supposed to go two years ago but was kept in production because it was selling like hot cakes. Many thought it was going last year (me included) and bought in anticipation of a pending retirement. Now people are much more sceptical about this set and know there's no certainties. I'm guessing most have stopped buying this one and sales have slowed. I wouldn't be surprised if it's gone within a month or two.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Crustybeaver said:

There are four Creator Expert cars in production because they are clearly very lucrative for TLG. The T1 Camper was supposed to go two years ago but was kept in production because it was selling like hot cakes. Many thought it was going last year (me included) and bought in anticipation of a pending retirement. Now people are much more sceptical about this set and know there's no certainties. I'm guessing most have stopped buying this one and sales have slowed. I wouldn't be surprised if it's gone within a month or two.

They just need to bundle it with the T1 polybag to re-ignite the fire of them burning their way off the shelves.  (and keep it around another 2 years).

Edited by baschloinka
  • Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy
Just now, Crustybeaver said:

I reckon this will catch a lot of people out like the Town Hall did. John Lewis have very recent seal codes on the shelves so I don't think we can panic... yet! Since I expect this set to explode in value soon after EOL, I ain't done yet! Now aiming for 100+

24 minutes ago, Crustybeaver said:

I understand, but TLG is going to extremes... now they have 4 modulars and 4 cars together on shelves, plus many other exclusives, and new are coming... For standard customer is almost unreal to buy all actual exclusives (more than 20), so it is quite a cannibalism from TLG.

And it is devastating for investors... you can sit on T1, TB, PS, etc for 3-4 years, since their lifetime is now 5-6 years...Its horrible to have full room of sets, which should have been after EOL several years, and are still selling without a real chance to soon EOL. Now is much better to buy a modular immediately after EOL for EUR 160, instead of buying it with some discount for EUR 120 in 2.year of its production time, with a risk of several years of sitting on shelves... And now we have many such uncertain sets - for example Paris Restaurant can go to EOL this year, next year, and also after next 3 years, same with every creator expert set... Only technic sets have normal life, which can be changed with Porsche...

52 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

I reckon this will catch a lot of people out like the Town Hall did. John Lewis have very recent seal codes on the shelves so I don't think we can panic... yet! Since I expect this set to explode in value soon after EOL, I ain't done yet! Now aiming for 100+

UK emazer 

• Like 2

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crustybeaver said:

good point

Lego currently has 28 Exclusive Sets on its site. And with Cinderella Castle and the new DS coming soon that will total up to 30 exclusives! 

So common sense tells me some have to go. 

There are some usual suspects but there might also be some surprise retirements.

Now it is up to us to unravel who them are.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ciglione said:

Lego currently has 28 Exclusive Sets on its site. And with Cinderella Castle and the new DS coming soon that will total up to 30 exclusives! 

So common sense tells me some have to go. 

There are some usual suspects but there might also be some surprise retirements.

Now it is up to us to unravel who them are.

True words. There are so many big boxes on the shelves either!

New sets are coming, but the old ones are still here. When? And what? That is the question.

10 hours ago, Knightwing01 said:

good point

12 hours ago, mesje said:

I understand, but TLG is going to extremes... now they have 4 modulars and 4 cars together on shelves, plus many other exclusives, and new are coming... For standard customer is almost unreal to buy all actual exclusives (more than 20), so it is quite a cannibalism from TLG.

And it is devastating for investors... you can sit on T1, TB, PS, etc for 3-4 years, since their lifetime is now 5-6 years...Its horrible to have full room of sets, which should have been after EOL several years, and are still selling without a real chance to soon EOL. Now is much better to buy a modular immediately after EOL for EUR 160, instead of buying it with some discount for EUR 120 in 2.year of its production time, with a risk of several years of sitting on shelves... And now we have many such uncertain sets - for example Paris Restaurant can go to EOL this year, next year, and also after next 3 years, same with every creator expert set... Only technic sets have normal life, which can be changed with Porsche...

In the past, TLG retired sets based on a production schedule independent from the success of sets. The days when you could build a stash close to retirement are unfortunately gone. 

Today, that schedule is mostly related to sales. So the more investors like (and buy) a set, the bigger the chance of it NOT retiring. 

The only reason I still follow this thread therefore, is to look at what sets aren't discussed (much) anymore. Any set with a long and positive thread is for me not retiring anytime soon and therefore un-investable. 

My personal impression is that people are aware of this. The site is less active than a year ago with some smart people not posting anything interesting anymore. The pendulum is swinging back... 

As to retirement? A modular will go for sure: for me this will be the PET SHOP. Everybody has a TON of it stashed away, therefore it will be the first modular that doesn't jump in price. I wonder what that will do to the re-seller's market. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ZULU said:

In the past, TLG retired sets based on a production schedule independent from the success of sets. The days when you could build a stash close to retirement are unfortunately gone. 

Today, that schedule is mostly related to sales. So the more investors like (and buy) a set, the bigger the chance of it NOT retiring. 

The only reason I still follow this thread therefore, is to look at what sets aren't discussed (much) anymore. Any set with a long and positive thread is for me not retiring anytime soon and therefore un-investable. 

My personal impression is that people are aware of this. The site is less active than a year ago with some smart people not posting anything interesting anymore. The pendulum is swinging back... 

yes agree 100%.

2 hours ago, ZULU said:

As to retirement? A modular will go for sure: for me this will be the PET SHOP. Everybody has a TON of it stashed away, therefore it will be the first modular that doesn't jump in price. I wonder what that will do to the re-seller's market. 

2-3 years out post EOL, Pet Shop will be hitting $300-320 just like the last 2.  The GE was the most stashed set at one point in 2014 according the Mac bros and it is doing fine.  There are a lot of unique features to the set which will make it sought out on the aftermarket.  The fact that it is a Pet themed set will also help it. There has been so much badmouthing of this set for the last 2 years its the set everyone loves to hate I have to believe it's been not actively hoarded recently as in past years when modular supply dries up in the late spring and summer.  It has decent partout value which will provide a floor on the set's value post EOL and will drive that value further once supply dries up.   I have 26 Pet Shops and have moved on to Palace Cinema and Parisian Restaurant but I am sure I will wish I had even more Pet Shop by the time 2020 rolls around just like I wish I had more GE and FB.  Have to be prepared for an unexpected EOL though too.

Edited by cladner
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, cladner said:

yes agree 100%.

2-3 years out post EOL, Pet Shop will be hitting $300-320 just like the last 2.  The GE was the most stashed set at one point in 2014 according the Mac bros and it is doing fine.  There are a lot of unique features to the set which will make it sought out on the aftermarket.  The fact that it is a Pet themed set will also help it. There has been so much badmouthing of this set for the last 2 years its the set everyone loves to hate I have to believe it's been not actively hoarded recently as in past years when modular supply dries up in the late spring and summer.  It has decent partout value which will provide a floor on the set's value post EOL and will drive that value further once supply dries up.   I have 26 Pet Shops and have moved on to Palace Cinema and Parisian Restaurant but I am sure I will wish I had even more Pet Shop by the time 2020 rolls around just like I wish I had more GE and FB.  Have to be prepared for an unexpected EOL though too.

I have stopped buying modulars altogether and hope you will be right on the PS. ('cause I have my share) And IF you are, I'll gladly admit I was wrong skipping the Bank, Restaurant etc etc

• Like 2