Retiring Soon - open speculation

was in my local walmart, and noticed all the force awakens sets were reduced at least by 30%.  119 MF's, 64.00 Poe's X-wings, 55.00 Resistance Transporter, Mazy's Castle was 47, 15.00 Rey Speeders, 55.00 FO Ties, and after I cleared out the FO Transporter at 40 something a few months back, they had a new case sitting there at 71.  

Signs on the wall.  These are all gone by christmas, IMO.

• Like 2

was in my local walmart, and noticed all the force awakens sets were reduced at least by 30%.  119 MF's, 64.00 Poe's X-wings, 55.00 Resistance Transporter, Mazy's Castle was 47, 15.00 Rey Speeders, 55.00 FO Ties, and after I cleared out the FO Transporter at 40 something a few months back, they had a new case sitting there at 71.  

Signs on the wall.  These are all gone by christmas, IMO.

I'm glad someone is getting a discount - the WM near me (rural North TX) is always higher than the online prices.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thelegollama said:

It's now July first and the Big Ben has been (no pun intended) released!  Will TB or SOH go EOL soon?  If so how long do ya'll think it will take before they officially retire?

Keep an eye on Lego SAH EU and you will see some interesting behaviour regarding these 2 sets that may give you your answer!

TB is Available Now, limit 5.

SOH is Out of stock, expected ship date 15 Jul 2016, limit 5

You can interpret that as either they are producing less SOH and running down stock or the horde have made up their minds that SOH is retiring next and buying the set hand over fist, hence its OOS status. There was a time where one of the sets would have just sold out. These days however I think Lego milk the late surge of interest in sets, Pet Shop, EWOK Village. I'm sure SOH or Tower Bridge will be no different, kicking around for longer than expected. Even retailers are taking advantage, Smyths clearly saw an opportunity in the Tumblers retirement, buying up huge amounts of stock so they could push them all out long after everyone else had sold theirs. I expect this is behaviour we may end up seeing a lot more of now as retailers adapt buying and selling techniques to take advantage of the late surge of money for retiring sets.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Haay said:

TB is Available Now, limit 5.

SOH is Out of stock, expected ship date 15 Jul 2016, limit 5

Same Australia LEGO Shop at Home. Been that way for a while now. Doesn't seem to mean much as you can still buy it, it's just going to take longer.

I think Crusty is spot on with his/ her ( not sure don't want to be a knob) appraisal.

Edited by Furious_george

15 minutes ago, Crustybeaver said:

Just like to clarify for those that have ever wondered, Crustybeaver is geezer and not girl.

Ha ha ha, are you saying you're receiving private messages from guys thinking you're a girl and trying to hit on you? Here, on this forum? ROFL If so, that would be utterly pathetic! :P 

<edit> Ah, now I notice the "his/her" remark by Furious_george. Silly me...

Edited by Haay
  • Like 1

:D

39 minutes ago, Crustybeaver said:

Just like to clarify for those that have ever wondered, Crustybeaver is geezer and not girl.

If you were a girl I surely would never hit on you after seeing your forum username.

Edited by Ciglione
  • Like 4

On 26-6-2016 at 9:38 PM, ckBricks said:

Does anyone think 76041 is worth loading up on at 24$ ? I know Super Hero sets aren't the best but with it being a TRU exclusive and at 40% off is it worth the investment?

That's a real,real good price for a Hulk big fig set! If they still have them I'd buy them all for that price...

On 6/23/2016 at 3:20 AM, gregpj said:

I'll try this again... my last post was totally blank. Weird.

I stand by my opinion that these new 2016 sets won't be retiring imminently and should be available on shelves until early 2017. As it stands, you have the Beasts and Umarak with only Ekemu to fight them (those sets aren't marked as retiring soon, they are newer than the Uniter and Creatures which were only released in January 2016). I think you need more than just one good guy (who isn't even really a warrior/fighter type anyways) to counter that.

My guess is that they are just disappearing from shelves for a while, but will return in the fall with the new Bionicle Netflix episodes coming July 29.. That will tell us if the Uniters and Creatures are soon to be replaced with new heroes.

http://www.cnet.com/news/netpicks-everything-coming-and-going-on-netflix-for-july-2016/

To add some fuel to this fire: Blocks magazine reports that the broad UK release of the Bionicle sets has been canceled. I see them listed in several EU LEGO Shop at Home stores, but this might be a LEGO Shop at Home only release, and one batch until its over. Curious to see if these are going to be widely available as you say or whether this line is over ..... and whether there will be any discounts. After all the 50% off deals I've been getting on these, I took the plunge on the 3 beasts for full price (well, cashed in on $5 in VIP points, got a discounted set to get me a Knights set (both for resale) so hopefully that brings my total down a bit).

1 minute ago, Val-E said:

TRU Usa are giving away Bionicles with purchases of over 40 USD. Seems to be the same models that were on sale at SAH. Shows they are hard to move so I am guessing that TLG won´t persevere much longer with this dead horse.

Yep, and USA retailers are clearancing the summer 2015 sets (TRU is even giving them away as you mentioned) and the winter 2015/2016 sets. Sounds indeed like these are not selling as well as planned, and that LEGO has just pulled the plug (a la Ultra Agents). The summer 2016 sets were released without fanfare, and they are nowhere to be seen on retailer shelves. Ominous sign (for those who like Bionicle).

Guest TabbyBoy
On 2 July 2016 at 10:47 AM, Crustybeaver said:

From personal experience, I can confirm that Crusty ain't got a beaver ;-)

Guest TabbyBoy
5 minutes ago, Ciglione said:

10220 VW T1 Camper Van TooS at SaH Europe.

18S6 seal codes at John Lewis in Reading and what seems like a much larger box. The previous version would pass as Royal Mail small parcel, this one won't!

They'll just do yet another huge production run as I think this set is vaery far from done. However, it'll be the biggest panic to date when it is! This will be H-U-G-E !!!