Retiring Soon - open speculation

13 minutes ago, thelegollama said:

I wonder if the tower bridge is going to go eol soon.  Last summer it went out of stock and jumped immediately to $300.  It has been going in and out of stock for a while.  Are they going to retire it after the big ben set goes into production? 

Good question. I'd wish I knew. 

I am thinking about unloading part of my stash of tower bridges. So if they are planning to retire it they'd better hurry up!

2 hours ago, ckBricks said:

Does anyone think 76041 is worth loading up on at 24$ ? I know Super Hero sets aren't the best but with it being a TRU exclusive and at 40% off is it worth the investment?

I'm not a fan of the set. I'm sure some kid right now is starring at it wishing he could get the set. 5-10 years from now the little kid will grow up and eBay the set, if that made any sense, and buy it. I don't think many people will hoard this set, if they do they'll sell it come a year or two from now. Reasoning behind that is because I feel new investors don't like holding on to sets for 5-10 years. Again just an opinion.  

• Like 1

Does anyone think 76041 is worth loading up on at 24$ ? I know Super Hero sets aren't the best but with it being a TRU exclusive and at 40% off is it worth the investment?

Everyday it was at 23 I bought 2. I have 10 now and am fine with that amount. I don't think it will be a grand slam but it should be the last set with quicksilver and that should be worth something in a couple years.

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy
6 hours ago, cory730 said:

I bought 2 everyday too but they canceled 6 of my orders for some reason. I bought over 60 Vet Clinic the other week and none were canceled but they would not give me and Hydra's.

That reminds me of when I bought over 30 Pet Salons at -50% and I'm still struggling to get rid of them well after EOL. The Friends novelty has worn off I think and retailers are glad to get shot of them.

2 hours ago, StormBricks said:

I think the house Friends do good (Emma, Livi, ...etc). The small ones seem overloaded with tiny useless parts and people got aware of that enough. So any expectations on Emma's retirement? 

The bigger Friends sets are sold for, on average, about a year. That's what I find in the Brickset data. Emma's House is being sold for a year and a half now, which means it could retire any moment now. But I still see it in toy-stores everywhere. So I don't think it's a good seller. It's also rather pricey at €75 (RRP, Netherlands), though it's currently offered by many stores here between €52 and €60. The high number of discounts on this set could indicate it's about to get the retirement-boot. But it will be a while before this set is really cleared from toy-store inventories.

Edited by Haay

1 hour ago, Haay said:

What he (@Val-E) ^^ said. Olivia's House ... RRP was €69,99 in Germany (Brickset). Retired November 2014. Now, 1.5 years later the NIB asking price is around €70-€80.

What a dud!

Olivia's House is doing well in the U.S., though. $139.95 on Amazon right now from a RRP of $74.99 (and deeply discounted at times--40-50%). 

26 minutes ago, TigerG said:

I bought a stash of 3315 for 35 to 40 Euros and sold all but one of them for 119 Euros last christmas. That's not exactly what I would call a dud....

Cos you followed the 50% off rule and sold at the right time - many investors are not that smart, however.

Didn't know the VA had licensing agreement with LEGO?

Yeah, they did. It just took them a couple years to announce it, and they're still back ordered on it. They still use printed catalogs, and you can only order by mail or phone. And i'm pretty sure there are more customers on the wait list, than there are actually still alive at the moment.

• Like 1