Retiring Soon - open speculation

EXACTLY. 

2 minutes ago, Val-E said:

If it works with Falcons and X wings, why not for dinosaurs?

i agree.

1 minute ago, zskid00 said:

You never know.  If these dry up at retail by November it could be a profitable holiday season for them this year.

yep.  prob about 1 year of bliss.  lego released the sets about 25-30 days before the film hit theaters.

3 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

Over a year of bliss...

2 minutes ago, zskid00 said:

Release date is June 22, 2018.  I would expect LEGO sets will be out that spring and officially announced at NY Toy Fair in Feb 2018.  That should give us one good holiday selling season unless they linger on store shelves into 2017.  

1 minute ago, zskid00 said:

You never know.  If these dry up at retail by November it could be a profitable holiday season for them this year.

I'm really skeptical on the short term investment potential of the JW sets currently available. Last year the hoard went SUPER hard on these. TLG responded by pumping the market with them. I feel as though there are an abundance of sets available and still being hoarded. With Star Wars being the primary thing on peoples minds this holiday and next do people really expect to see a similar demand as last year?

1 minute ago, landphieran said:

I'm really skeptical on the short term investment potential of the JW sets currently available. Last year the hoard went SUPER hard on these. TLG responded by pumping the market with them. I feel as though there are an abundance of sets available and still being hoarded. With Star Wars being the primary thing on peoples minds this holiday and next do people really expect to see a similar demand as last year?

Hell will freeze over before kids won´t like dinosaurs. This xmas should serve to flush out most of the stock.

• Like 1

Just now, Val-E said:

Hell will freeze over before kids won´t like dinosaurs. This xmas should serve to flush out most of the stock.

There's a whole lot of stock around here--220+ sellers (at least) for all but IR and RE on Amazon before they're officially sold out. It's the short selling window before we see JW 2 sets that makes this a little more speculation and a little less investment. 

(Sorry... couldn't help myself. :whistle:)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, biking_tiger said:

There's a whole lot of stock around here--220+ sellers (at least) for all but IR and RE on Amazon before they're officially sold out. It's the short selling window before we see JW 2 sets that makes this a little more speculation and a little less investment. 

(Sorry... couldn't help myself. :whistle:)

I'll take my chances with the 400 Star Wars Advent Calendar sellers.  Too soon to talk about those?

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, redjersey said:

Page 25 of that catalogue mentions a new series of Disney minifigures will be available in September. Time to snap up a few of the current series before they disappear. 

here we go again...that is not what it says...

Edited by dcdfan
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Val-E said:

IR and RE are sure winners - the rest are sketchier.

I tend to agree with you that those will be the two best, with RR ranking third..  Or if you have GT's those will be your best CGR return.   I think the indominus rex set is the safest of them all though, because I doubt that creature is in the 2018 film. 

However, I also agree that there is so much stock in the hands of third party sellers that this christmas will just be a good cleansing event where you may make 20 to 40% above RRP but that will be about it.  Holiday 2017 will be better...  Although, I will admit, i'll be one of those in the horde, because i'm not so sold on most of these as a strong long term investment anymore and will move some of my stock once these go EOL.  As a small time hobbyist/reseller I have too much JW stock, and they are taking up about half of a large walk-in closet that i'll gladly pair them down if I can squeak out some profit..

As for JW2, supposedly the movie is based on Dinosaurs with human dna, so it could be a completely different type of film, where it looks more like Alien, and less like Jurassic World.  Tough to say.  That could make the JW1 sets hold their potential a lot longer.  But, if they remake Trex's, Raptors, etc then I see all these sets taking a hit.

Edited by fossilrock

With TRU jacking up JW sets to 20% above retail after the great hoarding from last year, I've been noticing that all of my stores are stuffed to the gills with all of these sets. You know how TRU likes to keep their stock around long after other retailers have closed them out. It's going to be a loooong way to profitability for Jurassic World.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, pete411 said:

With TRU jacking up JW sets to 20% above retail after the great hoarding from last year, I've been noticing that all of my stores are stuffed to the gills with all of these sets. You know how TRU likes to keep their stock around long after other retailers have closed them out. It's going to be a loooong way to profitability for Jurassic World.

Well, it's a trilogy, so some of us might have to wait until Jurassic World 3 to recoup our costs.. :)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, redjersey said:

Page 25 of that catalogue mentions a new series of Disney minifigures will be available in September. Time to snap up a few of the current series before they disappear. 

Bear in mind the new minifigures to be available in Sep are the Series #16, not Disney Series #2.

Having said that, I do believe there will be Disney #2 at some point in 2017, so I reckon it's a good idea to hover some Disney #1 now.

Just got back from my Lego store. In stock they had Slave 1, Sandcrawler, Ewok Village. Had the Technic Volvo Loader.  Had all the modulars except no Pet Shop. Had no Tower Bridge. Also interesting - no Scooby Doo - nada. An employee said it was a short run license and it was "done". (Of course, this was the same employee who told me last March the same thing about Jurassic World... in his defense, his store did sell out of JW back in March, and has not had any since.)

Also of note, the items on their 20% off clearance table (see photo)...

640.jpg