Retiring Soon - open speculation

3 hours ago, Phil B said:

Thanks for the perspective. The 2016 sets are disappearing everywhere though, and as @donbee said, marked as "retiring soon" on LEGO Shop at Home . Perhaps they're just producing less of them? Especially since the 2015 sets are still around at many retailers (the Masters and Protectors, plus the whole Skull Warrior/Slicer/Spider range).

I'll try this again... my last post was totally blank. Weird.

I stand by my opinion that these new 2016 sets won't be retiring imminently and should be available on shelves until early 2017. As it stands, you have the Beasts and Umarak with only Ekemu to fight them (those sets aren't marked as retiring soon, they are newer than the Uniter and Creatures which were only released in January 2016). I think you need more than just one good guy (who isn't even really a warrior/fighter type anyways) to counter that.

My guess is that they are just disappearing from shelves for a while, but will return in the fall with the new Bionicle Netflix episodes coming July 29.. That will tell us if the Uniters and Creatures are soon to be replaced with new heroes.

http://www.cnet.com/news/netpicks-everything-coming-and-going-on-netflix-for-july-2016/

6 hours ago, gregpj said:

I'll try this again... my last post was totally blank. Weird.

I stand by my opinion that these new 2016 sets won't be retiring imminently and should be available on shelves until early 2017. As it stands, you have the Beasts and Umarak with only Ekemu to fight them (those sets aren't marked as retiring soon, they are newer than the Uniter and Creatures which were only released in January 2016). I think you need more than just one good guy (who isn't even really a warrior/fighter type anyways) to counter that.

My guess is that they are just disappearing from shelves for a while, but will return in the fall with the new Bionicle Netflix episodes coming July 29.. That will tell us if the Uniters and Creatures are soon to be replaced with new heroes.

http://www.cnet.com/news/netpicks-everything-coming-and-going-on-netflix-for-july-2016/

I think we're aligned on the NEW 2016 sets (not the old 2016 sets aka as Uniter/Creature) - they won't retire those anytime soon given that they were just launched on June 2nd. I'm surprised that the OLD 2016 sets went so fast - 4-6 months according to Brickset. Unless you are saying that the "Retiring Soon" tags are just sales bait and they'll have a new batch of the Uniter/Creatures ready for the fall?

4 minutes ago, Phil B said:

I think we're aligned on the NEW 2016 sets (not the old 2016 sets aka as Uniter/Creature) - they won't retire those anytime soon given that they were just launched on June 2nd. I'm surprised that the OLD 2016 sets went so fast - 4-6 months according to Brickset. Unless you are saying that the "Retiring Soon" tags are just sales bait and they'll have a new batch of the Uniter/Creatures ready for the fall?

Yup, that's what I am saying are the possibilities...

1) They outright retire them after only 6 months of availability (they were available in some places Dec 2015 so they've been on shelves for 6 months now).

or

2) They will have new Uniters or Creatures or ?? ready for the fall because they change in the show.

or

3) The Uniters and Creatures come back into stores in the fall for one last season.

Either way I believe the retiring soon is either a mistake or sales bait and these stick around for this Xmas,. so I go with #3. Time will tell. :)

[ For any that care, we do follow Bionicles in our house since the kids have always liked them... my recollection, though not perfect, is that the original "new" Bionicles disappeared from retailer shelves (locally that only means Walmart and TRU) for a while only to return. However, they've always been in short supply at local Walmarts, plenty stocked at LEGO stores I've visited and when TRU has them, they have tons of them. ]

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Val-E said:

2H EU catalogue now out:

http://catalogs.lego.com/BrandCatalog/BrandCatalogue2HY2016/fr/

seems the sale sets that are not call to check or retired will be continuing for a while yet.....

8 pages of Nextonovalue Knights yet no space for Speed Champions S1 or Scooby Doo though.....

Oh wow some sets just refuse to retire (too bad I have a few of those in stock :( )

7 minutes ago, gregpj said:

Yup, that's what I am saying are the possibilities...

1) They outright retire them after only 6 months of availability (they were available in some places Dec 2015 so they've been on shelves for 6 months now).

or

2) They will have new Uniters or Creatures or ?? ready for the fall because they change in the show.

or

3) The Uniters and Creatures come back into stores in the fall for one last season.

Either way I believe the retiring soon is either a mistake or sales bait and these stick around for this Xmas,. so I go with #3. Time will tell. :)

[ For any that care, we do follow Bionicles in our house since the kids have always liked them... my recollection, though not perfect, is that the original "new" Bionicles disappeared from retailer shelves (locally that only means Walmart and TRU) for a while only to return. However, they've always been in short supply at local Walmarts, plenty stocked at LEGO stores I've visited and when TRU has them, they have tons of them. ]

Ok thanks for all the perspective. From your recollection: did the shelf space also totally disappear, or was it just empty shelves for a while?

I'm still glad I got them all, and I got them all for on average about 50% off, so even if they come back I won't feel I overpaid :)

1 minute ago, Phil B said:

Ok thanks for all the perspective. From your recollection: did the shelf space also totally disappear, or was it just empty shelves for a while?

I'm still glad I got them all, and I got them all for on average about 50% off, so even if they come back I won't feel I overpaid :)

IIRC, shelf space disappeared but in reality, the Walmarts around me are so badly organized that it's hard to tell. They were relegated to the hangers near the endcaps when they did come back, but they always seemed to be full. The TRUs all re-organized their shelves last year so it's always possible that was part of it.

Regardless, I think these are coming back and I'd buy them all at 50% off too. I am jealous!

• Like 1

2H EU catalogue now out:

http://catalogs.lego.com/BrandCatalog/BrandCatalogue2HY2016/fr/

seems the sale sets that are not call to check or retired will be continuing for a while yet.....

8 pages of Nextonovalue Knights yet no space for Speed Champions S1 or Scooby Doo though.....

Thanks for the info.

I've seen few online stores I frequented no longer re stocking the Scooby doo sets as well. I think it's time is up. Perhaps question is when the sales is on LEGO Shop at Home.

Also noticed that Technic 42030 is not on the list. I've been getting queries on my listing for this set. Flipping it will get me 40% profit but I feel that more money to be made down the road. It's two years since it release so retiring maybe.

9 minutes ago, LahH001 said:

No modulars nor star wars UCS sets? Strange omission to make. They can't all be retiring?

Not in these catalogues. Look in the news section an you can find links to al 2h catalogues - many are thicker than the French one I posted but no JW or Scooby in them!

http://catalogs.lego.com/BrandCatalog/BrandCatalogue2HY2016/de/

The German one is the biggest and mentions 10249 toy shop while stocks last.

Edited by Val-E

18 minutes ago, emazers said:

Jurassic World and Scooby are done this year, not in the 2017 Wholesale Order Form.

...and soon after JW sets disappear at retail, we'll have JW 2 sets available to buy.  movie is scheduled for June 22, 2018

good timing by lego with their JW sets, huh?

Just now, jaisonline said:

...and soon after JW sets disappear at retail, we'll have JW 2 sets available to buy.  good timing by lego, huh?

Release date is June 22, 2018.  I would expect LEGO sets will be out that spring and officially announced at NY Toy Fair in Feb 2018.  That should give us one good holiday selling season unless they linger on store shelves into 2017.  

Just now, zskid00 said:

Release date is June 22, 2018.  I would expect LEGO sets will be out that spring and officially announced at NY Toy Fair in Feb 2018.  That should give us one good holiday selling season unless they linger on store shelves into 2017.  

Yay everyone dumps their hoard at the same time :goodjob::sarcastichand:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Not in these catalogues. Look in the news section an you can find links to al 2h catalogues - many are thicker than the French one I posted but no JW or Scooby in them!

http://catalogs.lego.com/BrandCatalog/BrandCatalogue2HY2016/de/

The German one is the biggest and mentions 10249 toy shop while stocks last.

Page 25 of that catalogue mentions a new series of Disney minifigures will be available in September. Time to snap up a few of the current series before they disappear.