Retiring Soon - open speculation

57 minutes ago, emazers said:

The Simpsons License is done this year, no more sets are coming, there should be plenty Simpsons Houses and Kwi Marts for people to get until the end of the year, but if you don't have any don't wait to long to get some.

Interesting. The Android Dungeon for $199.99 was axed then? If so that is too bad.

Yes there was suppose to be another set or two, but Lego decided not to do anymore, one reason is they had tons of complaints from parents and I am sure there are other reasons. "And this is not my gut saying these are retiring by the end of the year, really don't like saying where the info came from but I will say the Simpsons are not on the 2017 Exclusive order form. Now some sets sell out before the end of the year and some hang around for a few months in the new year. If you think these sets are duds well don't get any. But I think no matter how you feel about these I would get a few, does anybody really think these sets will never increase in value to make you money. Simpsons are well known worldwide, and 20 yrs from now they still will be still a hit.     Ed

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, emazers said:

Yes there was suppose to be another set or two, but Lego decided not to do anymore, one reason is they had tons of complaints from parents and I am sure there are other reasons. "And this is not my gut saying these are retiring by the end of the year, really don't like saying where the info came from but I will say the Simpsons are not on the 2017 Exclusive order form. Now some sets sell out before the end of the year and some hang around for a few months in the new year. If you think these sets are duds well don't get any. But I think no matter how you feel about these I would get a few, does anybody really think these sets will never increase in value to make you money. Simpsons are well known worldwide, and 20 yrs from now they still will be still a hit.     Ed

cool stuff.  thanks Ed

Personally, I wish they would have done at least one more character wave of Simpsons Minifigures, a Treehouse of Horror line for an october wave, and then made the School with a Bus (Otto, Skinner, and a few others in this set), and Nuclear Power Plant as exclusives. 

But I would understand if they axed this line.  The minifigure line has been a bit of a dud, if you ask me.  The two lines weren't as popular as say the lego movie, Disney Series, or S13, S14 and more than likely S16 lines.

• Like 1

Just now, fossilrock said:

Personally, I wish they would have done at least one more character wave of Simpsons Minifigures, a Treehouse of Horror line for an october wave, and then made the School with a Bus (Otto, Skinner, and a few others in this set), and Nuclear Power Plant as exclusives. 

amen bro. 

SKINNER!, Duffman, lenny, carl, rev lovejoy, kent brockman, barney , moe

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Hmm, I am curious what kind of complaints they got from parents.  Were they quality concerns, price, theme, etc?

Prob the theme. A lot of parents find it inappropriate for kids. A kid who may not even know about the Simpsons sees it at lego and becomes interested to the parents dismay. I watch it all the time and my wife has informed me our yet to be conceived kids cannot watch until they are teenagers. 

They should just do a South Park line. That would make parents forget about the Simpsons. Mr Hankey xmas polybag could be huge. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Hmm, I am curious what kind of complaints they got from parents.  Were they quality concerns, price, theme, etc?

I hope TLG is not caving to pressure from a few parents. If you don't want your kids to have Simpsons Legos.... don't buy them. It's not like kids can easily buy $200 sets without parental approval.

Edited by weitzel78
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, emazers said:

I agree with this sentiment.  No matter what one may think, even with a short lived life, these 2 sets are going to do really well no matter what.  The fact that it's the first and probably only time that it's been made in Lego form, the fact that they are nice big detailed wonderful sets, and the fact that the simpsons have had staying power for over 20 years, is just testament enough that it will do well.  And if they never get made, the longer time goes on, the more and more people are going to want them and pay the premium to have these 2 sets.

It's just really really sucky that they won't be making at least one or two more sets.

As far as parent's complaining, I just find that odd, because the Simpsons is the most tame of cartoons these days.  I remember when Family Guy first came out that it was super raunchy, and now even that's tame compared to other shows that are on these days.  If that's one of the big reasons, well it's a pretty dumb reason IMO, and Lego shouldn't cave into those pressures.  If it's just an overall sales suck reason, then I can understand.  No reason to keep making stuff that only loses you money.

• Like 1

I like the Kwik-e-mart and have built one. The Simpsons house is boring to me, although I may still pick one up. I felt the series 2 of the minifigs were too similar to series 1. There are so many sets I would have liked to seen.. Burns Manor/power plant, Android's Dungeon, Moes, krustyland, treehouse of horror... the list goes on.

23 minutes ago, marcandre said:

Prob the theme. A lot of parents find it inappropriate for kids. A kid who may not even know about the Simpsons sees it at lego and becomes interested to the parents dismay. I watch it all the time and my wife has informed me our yet to be conceived kids cannot watch until they are teenagers. 

They should just do a South Park line. That would make parents forget about the Simpsons. Mr Hankey xmas polybag could be huge. 

To be fair, the Simpsons is not really a kid friendly show :D

19 minutes ago, weitzel78 said:

I hope TLG is not caving to pressure from a few people parents. If you don't want your kids to have Simpsons Legos.... don't buy them. It's not like kids can easily buy $200 sets without parental approval.

How about the $4 CMF packs?  The complaints could not have come from just a few parents if they were enough to make LEGO rethink the whole line :dontknow:

16 minutes ago, inversion said:

We are forgetting the probably most obvious reason. Sales just might not have been good enough.

But was that a direct result of "tons of complaints from parents" ?  If low sales were due to parents, what does that say about the secondary market demand for these sets going forward?  :devil:

10 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

But was that a direct result of "tons of complaints from parents" ?  If low sales were due to parents, what does that say about the secondary market demand for these sets going forward?  :devil:

Long time fans of the show will be in their prime earning years. But is there enough of them to counteract the hoarding of these sets that will occur now that they are on every reseller's radar? Sales rank on Amazon is painful.  It is going to be a very limited north american market. A good discount and they may be worthy of a small role of the dice.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, inversion said:

We are forgetting the probably most obvious reason. Sales just might not have been good enough.

I agree with you. I really doubt TLG would give in to complaining parents if the Simpsons sets were selling by the boatload. It's different when you're already contemplating retiring the Simpsons line. Then, complaints might tip the scale in favour of retirement.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Brian Briggs said:

I agree with you. I really doubt TLG would give in to complaining parents if the Simpsons sets were selling by the boatload. It's different when you're already contemplating retiring the Simpsons line. Then, complaints might tip the scale in favour of retirement.

Exactly. And they would not even have released the Kwik E-Mart if that was the reason.

One reason for the disappointing sales might be it is a stand alone theme. It is not easy or logical to integrate it with the general lines like City and Creator.

• Like 1

Am I the only confused by the potential of the Simpsons Modulars?

They are beautiful, detailed and colorful. Has a long history in TV.

But... who cares enough about the Simpsons to drop 200+ on it? How much AFOL overlap is there between the Simpsons theme? I find them beautiful but would never care to display it or keep it.

My uniformed gut feeling, I anticipate these sets to stagnate around high 200's for a fairly long period of time (2 years?). Ideal investment with a 5 year hold?

9 minutes ago, landphieran said:

Am I the only confused by the potential of the Simpsons Modulars?

They are beautiful, detailed and colorful. Has a long history in TV.

But... who cares enough about the Simpsons to drop 200+ on it? How much AFOL overlap is there between the Simpsons theme? I find them beautiful but would never care to display it or keep it.

My uniformed gut feeling, I anticipate these sets to stagnate around high 200's for a fairly long period of time (2 years?). Ideal investment with a 5 year hold?

I have a similar feeling. I'm trying to picture someone 5 years from now seeing these.

HOLY CRAP, i can't believe they made that! Wow,that's REALLY nice looking, and so detailed, and,,,, it's HOW much? $500?

Neat, but pass.

So the real question is are there enough die-hards to match the likely under-hoarded amount.

Probably,,,,but i'm not sure that's where i want to put my bets.

That said, in for 4.

• Like 4