Retiring Soon - open speculation

1 minute ago, ironbrick said:

To further your point: I think we are in uncharted territory as it applies to the Star Wars franchise. We definitely agree there. Back in 1999 a lot of, how to say this kindly...uneducated speculators (?), got burned by buying up mass quantities of the newest Star Wars figures. You could not talk sense into these people (as you can kind of guess I tried). While I don't think Lego will yet enter this territory it is a distinct possiblility that what occurred with Super-Heroes sets may be a reality for Lego Star Wars. I am not one to think that continued increases after retirement are all but guaranteed. Still, there will always be some spectacular sets that will slip through the cracks. I am growing weary of exclusives though as I think there are a lot of Sandcrawlers and Ewok Villages being hoarded. I still think modest price increases are in store after retirement, but nothing near the incredible returns seen on the Super Star Destroyer or Imperial Shuttle. 

Well the Sandcrawler over here is a LEGO Shop at Home exclusive. SSD could be bought everywhere else. With Ewok I do agree, but not with SC. This thing will go up up. I have none btw :)

7 minutes ago, Sozial said:

Well the Sandcrawler over here is a LEGO Shop at Home exclusive. SSD could be bought everywhere else. With Ewok I do agree, but not with SC. This thing will go up up. I have none btw :)

Have no fear, the market will be saturated by other Euro ebayers - Brexit or not!

2 minutes ago, Sozial said:

ah btw. a local grocery store which sells lego has 75104 discounted. They only discount lego when the will not get any new stock. Could be a sign. And Val you are just to pessimistic. :P

Kylo Ren´s looks like being a turd - flipped all mine a while back. Let´s see how the UCS one fares and if they make the wings work properly.

The wings were meant to fold down to save space when you store it.  I don't buy that any first order sets will be a stinker, and especially anything with Kylo.

41 minutes ago, ironbrick said:

To further your point: I think we are in uncharted territory as it applies to the Star Wars franchise. We definitely agree there. Back in 1999 a lot of, how to say this kindly...uneducated speculators (?), got burned by buying up mass quantities of the newest Star Wars figures. You could not talk sense into these people (as you can kind of guess I tried). While I don't think Lego will yet enter this territory it is a distinct possiblility that what occurred with Super-Heroes sets may be a reality for Lego Star Wars. I am not one to think that continued increases after retirement are all but guaranteed. Still, there will always be some spectacular sets that will slip through the cracks. I am growing weary of exclusives though as I think there are a lot of Sandcrawlers and Ewok Villages being hoarded. I still think modest price increases are in store after retirement, but nothing near the incredible returns seen on the Super Star Destroyer or Imperial Shuttle. 

Not all sets are going to always make money, but some will definitely be better than others.  I don't think this is anything close to the Power of the Force line back in the late 90s right before the prequels came out and bombed the Star Wars brand.  I was there during that time, and remember it quite a bit.  

10 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

The wings were meant to fold down to save space when you store it.  I don't buy that any first order sets will be a stinker, and especially anything with Kylo.

Not all sets are going to always make money, but some will definitely be better than others.  I don't think this is anything close to the Power of the Force line back in the late 90s right before the prequels came out and bombed the Star Wars brand.  I was there during that time, and remember it quite a bit.  

And I agree with you on that assessment. That was a brutal blood bath for anyone who bought those items and most of the speculators at that time should have known better. 

7 hours ago, fossilrock said:

But they don´t tilt at an angle like in the film and it´s the wrong colour! I think this and the Tie are weak links in the line and Amazon agree with me as they are the models mos heavily discounted apart from FO transporter.

2 hours ago, Val-E said:

But they don´t tilt at an angle like in the film and it´s the wrong colour! I think this and the Tie are weak links in the line and Amazon agree with me as they are the models mos heavily discounted apart from FO transporter.

On the other side of that coin, it's easy to modify the wing structure to match the film and given all the new content I think it will be a while before it sees a remake.

The MF and TF's are hoarded to death.  The dark side is attracting me. 

51 minutes ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

On the other side of that coin, it's easy to modify the wing structure to match the film and given all the new content I think it will be a while before it sees a remake.

The MF and TF's are hoarded to death.  The dark side is attracting me. 

One thing I learnt about SW is that the only thing equal to hoarding is demand and Falcons and X Wings have so far been able to rise above market saturation. I am more doubtful about Ties and Kylo´s as they are second division vessels that don´t capture the imagination. It´s a bit like if you gor for a rental car and they offer  a choice of models. Infiniti will be pretty much the last one on the list.

No, LOTR while extremely popular in some circles does not have nearly the amount of fans that Star Wars has, Star Wars is the juggernaut of success. To this day the original Star Wars film is still one of the highest grossing films of all time. 

Note that those newcomers you speak of also have new re-releases produced by lego to look into too. For instance who would have thought another Lego Death Star would be announced so close to the retirement of the last one? 

Everyone on this forum. It was widely rumoured.

• Like 4