Retiring Soon - open speculation

30 minutes ago, Chookfam said:

When will the current wave of Star Wars retire? The new movie is December so is it like 2-3 months before then? Or will they just introduce m

More?

Its hard to say for sure, but my speculation: 

early 2015 sets already appear to be unofficially retired, and with the 2016 summer wave and "ForceFriday" sets, the 2015 summer sets (not TFA) will likely be done this year.  Given that the coming sets are not heavily loaded with TFA options, many of those will likely continue into next year, though a few may be dropped sooner.

Went to my favorite Lego store today. This store is usually pretty well stocked - they tend to have things that other stores don't. They had most of the big Star Wars UCS: SC, EV, TIE, S1... had all the current modulars: PC, PR, etc,... had Simpson House and Kwik-e-mart... but one thing was missing...I didn't see one set from the theme, so I asked, "Where's the Jurassic World?" The employee said, "It's pretty much run to the end of it's license, so ... that's it... until the next one <wink>..." Yes, of course... just one "uniformed employee"... but.... hmmm

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, macpro76 said:

I cam across this site at LEGO Shop at Home.  1107 items listed as retired.  Not sure if it known or not, but it has helped me confirm many times if a set I found is or not retired.  

http://search-en.lego.com/?cc=us&count=60&i=1&m_sort_menu=price&pt=shop&q=*&q1=Retired+Product&rank=rankUS&x1=available

Handy list, thanks for posting!

On March 17, 2016 at 3:49 PM, Chookfam said:

When will the current wave of Star Wars retire? The new movie is December so is it like 2-3 months before then? Or will they just introduce m

More?

I wouldn't expect any more to phase out until November.  Then you will probably see all the 2015 winter/summer waves go away, and most of the Force Awakens sets.  And maybe, a couple of the winter wave sets from this year, kinda like late last year, when the AAT and T-16 Skyhopper, and some rebel sets bit the dust a little earlier than expected.  Other than that, now is kind of that time you just slowly accumulate those sets, when you spot them at decent discounts.  Personally, i'll wait until May the 4th, and if there's some good sales, i'll jump.  Last year, jumping on the Target AT-AT deal turned out to be a real gem.  You could buy them in the low 80's with targets May the 4th deal.  I'd suspect we shall see a similar deal with some of the Force Awakens sets.  

• Like 2

Fairground mixer is Out of stock LEGO Shop at Home. This is the first time I noticed this set going out of stock. 

It's been out since 2014 and managed to keep kind of low profile (I think). 

Looks like a set with great potential to me. 

• Like 4

Restock scheduled for next week, probably sooner. As a SAH exclusive it´s logical it went during 2xVIP as it is hard to find in other retailers in many countries. Surprised that only this and HBGHQ went OOS in 2xVIP. Maybe limit 1 has been used to good effect.

11 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Restock scheduled for next week, probably sooner. As a SAH exclusive it´s logical it went during 2xVIP as it is hard to find in other retailers in many countries. Surprised that only this and HBGHQ went OOS in 2xVIP. Maybe limit 1 has been used to good effect.

That also surprised me, I was checking the SAH US website during the 2xVIP points promotion period and about 70% of their exclusives went OOS, as opposed to the UK and Europe website, hardly any?!

40 minutes ago, Manse1001 said:

That also surprised me, I was checking the SAH US website during the 2xVIP points promotion period and about 70% of their exclusives went OOS, as opposed to the UK and Europe website, hardly any?!

Maybe the US economy is simply doing a lot better than the European economy right now?

There are many more uncertainties here in Europe, with the ongoing war in Syria resulting in a steady influx of asylum seekers, the threats by terrorists to destroy our western culture, the Euro currency being weak, a doom-scenario of a possible Brexit which will hurt both Great Britain and the EU, higher unemploymency levels, people feeling less certain about their job security.

All those factors influence the willingness to spend money on a luxury toy like Lego.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Haay said:

Maybe the US economy is simply doing a lot better than the European economy right now?

There are many more uncertainties here in Europe, with the ongoing war in Syria resulting in a steady influx of asylum seekers, the threats by terrorists to destroy our western culture, the Euro currency being weak, a doom-scenario of a possible Brexit which will hurt both Great Britain and the EU, higher unemploymency levels, people feeling less certain about their job security.

All those factors influence the willingness to spend money on a luxury toy like Lego.

I was feeling reasonably upbeat this morning, talk about being a mood killer, I'll just go and hide under my desk now.

Or will I, no, no I won't, instead lets talk about low oil prices, record low interest rates and actual rising employment in Europe (unemployment down from 11% in 2013 to 9% now).

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Haay said:

Yeah and they just signed that insane treaty with Turkey.

The ECB is also playing with fire ever since they started printing crazy amounts of extra currency.

If they start giving out free money, I'm going to put a lot more capital in gold and Lego.

• Like 2

Limit 1 on all exclusive internet orders has seemed to be an effective form of stock control as has banning so many resellers.

In the US, they have been more lenient recently and maybe folk want to get their Lego now before the Trump apocalypse.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Manse1001 said:

I don't even think one exclusive went OOS during the 2xvip promo. No real horde in the UK by the look of it.

On 17. März 2016 at 9:34 PM, DarthBall said:

I've noticed that PR and EV are getting scarce in Germany and Switzerland. Only Lego still seems to have them. Could this be a sign or am I just paranoid?

You can't order EV on TRU website either.

I actually bought an EV with seal code 7S6 at TRU here in Switzerland. I guess that kind of answers my own concern.

On ‎23‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 6:32 AM, c_rpg said:

Yeah and they just signed that insane treaty with Turkey.

The ECB is also playing with fire ever since they started printing crazy amounts of extra currency.

If they start giving out free money, I'm going to put a lot more capital in gold and Lego.

You got it!  And when the monkeys at the ECB :jester: start fighting this demographically induced global deflation by banning cash and switching to digital what do you guys think will happen to the liquid collectibles market?  Like rare and classic cars, high end watches, lego.  Nevermind bullion, but that too.  :bubaphone:   

On 23.3.2016 at 1:35 PM, Val-E said:

Limit 1 on all exclusive internet orders has seemed to be an effective form of stock control as has banning so many resellers.

I'm pretty sure you're right and it's got nothing to do with Syria, the ECB, unemployment and so on. I would've liked to purchase a 2nd set of some exclusives. With limit 5 in the past I did feel comfortable buying mor than 1 copy of a set but with limit 1 I didn't want to take a risk.

3 hours ago, Brian Briggs said:

I'm pretty sure you're right and it's got nothing to do with Syria, the ECB, unemployment and so on. I would've liked to purchase a 2nd set of some exclusives. With limit 5 in the past I did feel comfortable buying mor than 1 copy of a set but with limit 1 I didn't want to take a risk.

With a few months apart I did order the Parisian Restaurant twice from LEGO Shop at Home. But I dare not order it a 3rd time. Don't want to risk the banhammer!

For all the conspiracy theorist out there.  I Went to the Lego store today and they threw a magazine in my bag.  In the magazine was the attached comic.  Is this Legos way of foreshadowing?

image1 (1).JPG

Edited by JLEW700
  • Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

What are people's thoughts on the Tower Bridge? With the speculated Expert Series Big Ben, will it be gone soon (soon being around Fall), or will they keep it around to have both sets remain available? I have a very small Brickfolio right now, and think this would expand and diversify it quite nicely, I just don't want to spend that much money before I need to.

I think this thread lost mojo now. Nowadays, even if a set really retires, so what? Doesn't mean much anymore. This retiring soon discussion only drives the hoard to go crazy on some soon-to-be-hot sets. But that becomes more of a trap than an opportunity now.

I would just go buy the sets I really like and forget about this retiring soon stuff. I will come back to see the sets performance after maybe 2 years after retirement.

• Like 3

I think this thread lost mojo now. Nowadays, even if a set really retires, so what? Doesn't mean much anymore. This retiring soon discussion only drives the hoard to go crazy on some soon-to-be-hot sets. But that becomes more of a trap than an opportunity now.

I would just go buy the sets I really like and forget about this retiring soon stuff. I will come back to see the sets performance after maybe 2 years after retirement.

Yup! Thank you B&N for the clearance on 21118 set...