Retiring Soon - open speculation

6 minutes ago, Yinchuan said:

Why Ecto? It will have only been out two years in April, if my math is correct. 

Isn't that about a year longer than almost every other ideas set?

29 minutes ago, roxio said:

I doubled my money on unimogs after fees, happy with that

You must have got a good buy in or sold early - now they are barely above RRP.

16 minutes ago, MarxMarvelous said:

Isn't that about a year longer than almost every other ideas set?

And people bought in on Ecto thinking it would be the next Delorean. Considering the remake has already been announced, the outlook is not super.

2 hours ago, Val-E said:

You must have got a good buy in or sold early - now they are barely above RRP.

And people bought in on Ecto thinking it would be the next Delorean. Considering the remake has already been announced, the outlook is not super.

I think the Delorean was about 1.5 years ( give or take) and given that the Ecto was well-received I imagine sales have been pretty decent, thus the longer shelf time. I don't think many will be concerned about the viability of the original Ecto vs the reboot version. Two completely different animals. One is original cast and 25th anniversary packaging to boot. Should be a winner without a doubt.

• Like 3

On March 14, 2016 at 6:18 PM, Val-E said:

Unimog, Sopwith and Ecto 1 should be on quite a few people´s dartboards too.

I love that people over hoarded these. I bought a few for myself very cheap from an investor who was sick of them. I actually like the sopwith and ecto for my own collection.

do you hate them just because they were out too long? If so I understand or was there something you did not like about the set?

On 3/12/2016 at 0:31 AM, thegooch49 said:

Ah, gotcha. You bought $2000 worth of sets, and tacked on another $600 of Pet Shops on an impulse sale after the manager talked you into it. I've got a couple of PS as well, good luck to both of us. 

That's why I stopped buying.

Only Technic for my enjoyment. Even that I still have a big stack to go through.

From time to time I will have to resist the itch though. Buying is too easy and tempting.

Edited by legone3
  • Like 1

The 10199 remake was a major blow to the winter village line in terms of investing. That and the oversupply of WVM have probably killed the line for good. That said I still think SW will be valuable again down the road and it is probably the best of the lot. But again the horde already hoarded this too much so it will take a long time.  

21 hours ago, wolvergeek said:

My local Lego store in Michigan says Wall-E not expected back for 6 months. Had 4 EV's and 2 SC's left.

All my local Lego stores are out of Wall-E. SAH is TOOS with no expected ship date or anything. When I spoke to one person I know at one of the stores, they said if I can find a Wall-E, I shouldn't pass it up. 

Edited by Bags751

2 minutes ago, Bags751 said:

All my local Lego stores are out of Wall-E. SAH is TOOS with no expected ship date or anything. When I spoke to one person I know at one of the stores, they said if I can find a Wall-E, I shouldn't pass it up. 

I just snagged the last Wall-E at TRU in Mayfield (Cleveland). Not bad entry price with 20% off, TRUTH, and Gift Card magic; $48.97 cost out the door plus Kai Airjitsu (which will be a gift for my son's friend) and Batmobile Polybag. 

Just now, edgecrusher said:

I just snagged the last Wall-E at TRU in Mayfield (Cleveland). Not bad entry price with 20% off, TRUTH, and Gift Card magic; $48.97 cost out the door plus Kai Airjitsu (which will be a gift for my son's friend) and Batmobile Polybag. 

I just got back from a TRU run where I grabbed 2 Wall-E with the same discounts/polybag/Airjitsu. 

But I just when back through my receipts and realized they forgot to take the 10% off the MF I bought. 

21 minutes ago, Bags751 said:

I just got back from a TRU run where I grabbed 2 Wall-E with the same discounts/polybag/Airjitsu. 

But I just when back through my receipts and realized they forgot to take the 10% off the MF I bought. 

If you haven't already called the CC company previously they will correct it one time for you over the phone. I should probably say YMMV as everyone seems to have a different experience with TRU...

Edited by dcdfan

4 minutes ago, dcdfan said:

If you haven't already called the CC company previously they will correct it one time for you over the phone. I should probably say YMMV as everyone seems to have a different experience with TRU...

Good to know, I'll try calling them later.

I've heard that about TRU. This one was actually pretty awesome and very helpful with everything. It was a definite mistake since I was doing separate transactions with 20% off coupons, and that was the only one that didn't have the 10% off. 

Guest TabbyBoy

The Sopwith Camel will already net me £30 a pop after fees which is a superb return. Also, don't slag off T1 as it's still very widely available and often resells for RRP+... you'll be caught with your pants down if you leave it too late. As per TH, sets can disappear overnight. However, I leave Technic alone in the UK due to poor returns.

21 minutes ago, Chookfam said:

When will the current wave of Star Wars retire? The new movie is December so is it like 2-3 months before then? Or will they just introduce m

More?

Current wave as in TFA?  I cannot see that happening until Episode 8. Look at the present SW and SH sets on shelves and you will see no urgency for LEGO to retire sets based on movie availability.

25 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

The Sopwith Camel will already net me £30 a pop after fees which is a superb return. Also, don't slag off T1 as it's still very widely available and often resells for RRP+... you'll be caught with your pants down if you leave it too late. As per TH, sets can disappear overnight. However, I leave Technic alone in the UK due to poor returns.

TH & 10220? If that's what you're referring to has been available for almost 5 years. Town Hall was available for just over 2 years. Town Hall cost almost double what 10220 costs. I'm sorry but I see no similarities. 10220 pulling a TH? It's a little too late...

Edited by dcdfan