Retiring Soon - open speculation

what are people's thoughts on the vw combi van retiring soon?

i've gone all across melbourne and have only seen one or two on display.

LEGO Shop at Home has it for the same price as i've seen it in stores. the added bonus of LEGO Shop at Home is double VIP points at the moment. 

i'm beginning to think i need to get one to go with the mini cooper

Lego gave it a new box recently. I wouldn't count on it disappearing any time soon. It could always happen of course but I wouldn't hold my breath...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gazza said:

i'm beginning to think i need to get one to go with the mini cooper:P

Yes, you really DO need a VW T1 to go with the Mini Cooper. I have both, and also the Ferrari F40, on display here, and I really loved and enjoyed building the VW Camper Van. It's definitely worth getting!

Whether it will retire soon? Maybe by the time the Caterham 7 from the Ideas series gets released ONE of the current 3 Advanced Creator series vehicles will retire. But whether it will be the VW T1 or the Mini Cooper, I dare not guess...

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Haay said:

Yes, you really DO need a VW T1 to go with the Mini Cooper. I have both, and also the Ferrari F40, on display here, and I really loved and enjoyed building the VW Camper Van. It's definitely worth getting!

Whether it will retire soon? Maybe by the time the Caterham 7 from the Ideas series gets released ONE of the current 3 Advanced Creator series vehicles will retire. But whether it will be the VW T1 or the Mini Cooper, I dare not guess...

I really miss the excitement over the VW T1. It really is awesome and most of what we hear nowadays is loathing over the fact that it is still around.

• Like 4

I've built all 3 cars: VW T1, Mini and F40. My order of favorability of the three is: VW T1>F40>Mini. VW van is beautifully designed, and has very good playability. Mini seems like a shelf warmer. Since F40 is the newest, I would guess Mini goes first among the three.

• Like 1

I remember when I bought some T1s during the Shop at Home double promo with the free mini T1 and the mini Mini Cooper polybags.  It made for a great net price on the set but it's turning into the next Live Star.  

Edited by zskid00

14 minutes ago, MarxMarvelous said:

I wouldn't buy a T1 at 50% off with someone else's money at this point.

It is a great looking set but even as an exclusive, it would take quite a promotion for me to buy another.  I would guess that would be 25% off at Barnes and Noble combined with discounted gift cards based on the horde reaction to mini cooper and kwik-e-mart last week.

7 minutes ago, Yinchuan said:

The way things are going with this new wave of investors, you are going to soon have a lot more of "I hate you" sets.

I agree. I think that investors trying to speculate very early which sets should be retiring could actually cause such an uptick in sales it actually delays retirements.

Hopefully an overhoarded set like PS will retire this year with so many sets flooding the market the profit margins are only small and it redresses the balance a bit.

I think they are taking a year off from retiring a modular because a year ago they retired two. One thing for sure Lego hasn't been doing is reducing the number of sets they sell at a time.

Even if Lego does decide to retire the likes of the PS or T1 in the next few months, you still have to ride the wave of companies such as TRU, John Lewis and Smyths emptying their warehouses full of stock before you will see any half decent return.  You only have to look at popular sets such as The Tumbler, with Smyths still holding stock the price isn't likely to increase for a while.  You then have to battle the QFLL who are looking to make a £10 profit before their credit card bills are due !! My advice, if you have those sets, put them into storage and forget about them for a few years at least! 

• Like 1

My usual strategy is to buy 3 of a set i think could make a strong profit, if possible with some kind of discount. Then that will do me unless there's a huge discount available at some point.  Then I just keep an eye on sets when they hit retiring soon at LEGO Shop at Home and decide whether or not is worth hunting them down locally. It will be interesting to see how long it takes before Tumblers actually hold any real value once the flippers have unloaded their stock. 

I´d still rather have this in my portfolio than any other sub 100 euro exclusive - HE, Sopwith, Mini or even F40 (for now) as it is a proven best seller and will easily be in the 150-200 range within a year of EOL as it has that type of mainstream demand that very few sets do (Millennium Falcon, for instance).

Hopes of it emulating the Beetle vanished a long time ago but I am sure it will still do better than Pet Shop.

3 hours ago, Fcbarcelona101 said:

T1 is right next to the Exo-Suit in my "I hate you" set list

The only set I hate more than T1 is 6857 Funhouse Escape. I am still shaking my head at that one.  For a while I also hated EDB but I am down to one so I don't care anymore.

Oh right and there is the Constitution Train...    

...It is your fault Johnny Depp... :angry: