Retiring Soon - open speculation

11 minutes ago, Crustybeaver said:

Excuse my ignorance I must have missed some vital information, why is the Sandcrawler due for retirement?

Because everybody is suffering from withdrawals after retirement season and they need to find something new to get psyched up about? Sandcrawler hasn't even hit its second birthday. It's an awesome build and a really fabulous set. It will do well when it retires. In 2018.

Edited by mfortunek
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Crustybeaver said:

Excuse my ignorance I must have missed some vital information, why is the Sandcrawler due for retirement?

It will have 2.5 candles this winter. Avg shelf life for UCS sets. It´s not one of those that seems likely to be extended but the horde still has time to change that.

Have I been here long enough that we are  recycling acronyms now? Every time somebody posts about "SC" due for retirement, I have an urge to buy Sopwith Camels. Maybe we call 75059 "SANDY"?

I agree with the SC confusion (Sopwith , Sea Cow, Sandcrawler) but let's avoid nicknames since that's a very polarizing topic around here.

I have a brilliant idea, let's just type Sandcrawler! My phone even autocompletes it for me ;-)

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, edgecrusher said:

Have I been here long enough that we are  recycling acronyms now? Every time somebody posts about "SC" due for retirement, I have an urge to buy Sopwith Camels. Maybe we call 75059 "SANDY"?

Yes, the SC acronym is confusing. But be careful with nicknames, it's been a bit controversial lately :) 

5 minutes ago, Bold-Arrow said:

If someone says SC will be retiring and someone else thinks we are talking Sopwith , then ..... Yeah that bad . 

OT - I think it's about context. Sure if someone just says "SC might be retiring!" out of the blue I can see how that could be confusing. But at the same time if the last several posts (pages in this case) are about Sandcrawler I don't get why anyone would be confused and think we're suddenly SC is referring to Sopwith Camel.

Can any of the mods explain to me why whenever I post a question that may be better in a different thread I get yelled at or have the post moved / hidden, but then when others go on for pages and pages posting off topic things they don't get hidden / moved?  

I'm relatively new here and just trying to get a better understanding of what is allowed / not allowed to post in various threads.

Thanks.

Edited by rlangston77

Can any of the mods explain to me why whenever I post a question that may be better in a different thread I get yelled at or have the post moved / hidden, but then when others go on for pages and pages posting off topic things they don't get hidden / moved?  

I'm relatively new here and just trying to get a better understanding of what is allowed / not allowed to post in various threads.

Thanks.

Sure, I can try.

If the conversation is civil, flows well, and is helpful to members we'll keep it going.

If it's off topic but still flowing, we'll probably let it ride for a while and move it later to clean up the thread if it gets out of hand.

If it's not civil, we'll hide the mean parts.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, rlangston77 said:

Thanks.

I don't believe you have ever been yelled at.  Plenty of threads have off topic stuff, it's going to happen.  However, in this thread, you posted three separate questions asking "what do you guys think of the potential of set xxxxx" (all sets that already have threads with dozens of pages dedicated to what people think of their potential).  I politely asked you to post questions like this in the appropriate thread, which most definitely is not this thread.  You posted the same type of question in this thread after I specifically asked you not to.  When people don't respond to requests, their posts will often be moved or just hidden.  There are plenty of off-topic comments that are hidden from threads, you just can't see them so unless you were involved in the conversation, you wouldn't notice.  

• Like 4

It will have 2.5 candles this winter. Avg shelf life for UCS sets. It´s not one of those that seems likely to be extended but the horde still has time to change that.

Yeah I'm familiar with the UCS lifespans and fully expect it to be prime contender for retirement along with Ewok Village come Christmas. Just sounded to me like the talk was of a pending retirement any day now.

Maybe the thread name should be "Open Speculation but only if you give some reason for the retirement and not just because everyone is excited about retirements because the Tumbler and the UCS Red X-Wing hype and price increase was so much fun" thread. And I have 8 more years until I can retire from career #1, so no need for the speculation.

20 minutes ago, Steve Brule said:

It's an opinion that it's preparing for the retirement shuffle considering the rumors of 2 or 3 new Star Wars UCS sets on the horizon.

not really rumors or opinion.

it was the observation that Sandcrawler was out of stock at all retailers except shop at home for a day.

then it came back in stock at walmart for now .

still out of stock at target, amazon, toys r us, barnes and noble.

hardly anyone noticed (until trek pointed it out) maybe because its not on the brickpicker stock tracker.

Edited by cladner

3 minutes ago, Sfcommando14 said:

Maybe the thread name should be "Open Speculation but only if you give some reason for the retirement and not just because everyone is excited about retirements because the Tumbler and the UCS Red X-Wing hype and price increase was so much fun" thread. And I have 8 more years until I can retire from career #1, so no need for the speculation.

Doesn't rhyme.

• Like 1