Retiring Soon - open speculation

1 hour ago, Jeff Mack said:

Trek, post what you want.  If you got good info to back it up, then post it.  If people find it useful then great.  But please, no Trek pity parties.  No one is forcing you to do anything.  Obviously something is wrong if you come in for one day, post something and now your running out all upset. Not one other forum poster has this issue that you do.  Where is the old Trek, not this super sensitive version of Trek? 

Maybe his chip is malfunctioning?... Just trying to lighten the mood.

Since I still haven't lived through an entire Lego year (wonder if there is a term for that like Parsec for light speed travel) I would like a little input from the secret cow society - is it common for a set to go EOL in Q1? I wasn't around for R2D2 or SSD so I'm not familiar with SW UCS timings.

Looking at brickset SSD went in June and R2D2 went in November - fitting the Q2/Q4 I have heard referenced before.  Then again those might have been before the mad cow chaos had set in.

Edited by colossus

1 hour ago, BrickLegacy said:

If it did go, it would be an opportune time for those with cash flow or, better yet, the tortoise accumulators. The hoard must surely be strapped for cash right now.

I will keep an eye on this set, but I'm still picking up Tumblers while I can.

Hey now, those $10 profits can add up in a hurry!

I'm not saying it's NOT retiring this year, but since Sandcrawler is 5 avaialble to order max, and a set like Ewok Village is 1, I'd say the clock is ticking harder on Ewok Village.

I know those numbers aren't ALWAYS meaningful, but something being 5 to an order almost always means it's going to be around a while. And as things get closer to disappearing (Tumbler, Maersk, etc -) they tend to drop down to 1. 

I also find the Hellicarrier an interesting case, it's been 1 to order for the most part from the getgo, and rumors of it going due to be a poor seller have been floating around. The Tumbler was only around a little more than a year, so I don't think the Heli having the same fate is out of the realm.

2 hours ago, Denigio said:

What if... the modular buildings are going to retire all at once? PS, PC, PR and DO - boom, and they are gone.

Now THAT happening would cause a serious -bleep- STORM here at the BP forum! :D 

Chances of that are as big as the Red Storm of Jupiter deciding it's time to stop whirling around. 

• Like 1

Man, the sensitivity meter sure did escalate quickly.

What I don't get, is why Trek feels the need to want to be all hush hush about stuff.  And he mentioned it is the internet, so what exactly are you so worried about and so quick to take it personally?

Look if the Sandcrawler is indeed on the way out, those that have an opportunity, or who have already gathered their required number, are going to fare very well.  I have it built, and it's a beautiful set.

One last thing, isn't this site about helping each other out and passing information along? I mean this is an investing site.  And I understand the selfishness of some of you guys who don't like all the new investors, but that's just a reality of life.  News is going to get out, and the hoard will do it's thing like it has the last couple of years.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, citymorgue said:

Man, the sensitivity meter sure did escalate quickly.

What I don't get, is why Trek feels the need to want to be all hush hush about stuff.  And he mentioned it is the internet, so what exactly are you so worried about and so quick to take it personally?

Can we just all let it go? The only reason a post was hidden is because of the comments about moderators at the end, not because of any speculation it might have contained. People sometimes take things too far whether it be a joke or whatever. It's really not that big of a deal.

Look .. all those members who are upset about this notion of "over modding" either need to get over it or get done with it. It's been discussed at length and addressed multiple times even by the mysterious Ed Mack himself. If you have a problem with something, spit it out, get it taken care of, and move on. I personally think that the moderators as a group have tried to lighten up over the last 9 months.... We still try to enforce some basics like posting in the right thread(s), no buying or selling in the forums, using respectful language, censoring shady buying tactics, but in general much stupidness and sillyness and general funness has been had without mod intervention.

If anyone has a problem with what I've said or needs to discuss further for ANY reason, please feel free to PM me or another mod or the Macks. I think we're all done here with this topic. Further off topic posts in this thread will likely get moved somewhere else or removed or something.

--------------

Now, as someone with a small stash of Sandcrawlers and someone who has built it (I think it's fantastic but I'm a sucker for OT sets), I am looking forward to it retiring. I think it'll be a real winner hoarded or not.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Migration said:

That movie is hilarious. Of course now I need to make that fig to add to the mixer before it packs up and drives away. 

The new Series 15 Wrestler should work really well for the hair - now you need a head with some mutton chops and a yellow torso (CMF lifeguard?) and you should be good to go.

15 hours ago, fossilrock said:

I remember being berated back in the other OOS thread for just mentioning it could be beginning to dance on the floor when it started sporadically going out of stock in some places.  I believe back then it was also gone in a few other stores.  I just think it's done that dance once, and it may do it again.  Lego will surely crank out 2 or 3 more production runs for you guys to stock up 20 a piece.  So, just remember that.  I'd love to see it go, even if i'm not at my target, because it would be nice to watch this one break a grand in a year, but then on cue the who song "won't get fooled again" starts playing on repeat in my head…  

Yeah that was 6 months ago. And it is still available everywhere. Can you ever admit when you are wrong? And btw, if you don't like what I have to say to you, quit dragging me into your spats out of the blue.

Edited by MarxMarvelous

13 hours ago, Mos_Eisley said:

It wasn't censored, it went on all day. Play code names if you like. It doesn't mean others can't give their opinion on it.

Exactly. Sounds like the people who think that freedom of speech means they can say whatever they want and no one else has the right to respond unless they agree.

Here is an idea: 

Could we launch a POLL in this thread on 'interesting' (the 20 most discussed) sets that are in production longer than 2 years and ask people which set will retire in the coming 12 months?

This way we can see on which sets people are speculating most? 

Such a poll will need some maintenance as sets will retire and disappear. And votes older than 12m get removed as they ware wrong :)

>> It would make this section easier to read. You get a 'real time' speculative summary of the probable 12m retirements...

Not sure this kind of exercise is doable and whether forum members would adhere the concept. I would certainly be interested. 

what do you think?

Thanks for your feedback (mods too :-))