Retiring Soon - open speculation

40 minutes ago, Lordoflego said:

Need.....more......P sets....

I just got PC, but not ready for PR yet .... please let it stick around for another 6 months or so .... Ninjago temple has to be bought first, as bday present for the kids who are totally into Ninja's (but have no clue about Ninjago).

2 hours ago, cladner said:

Pet Shop, Palace Cinema and Parisian Restaurant are now all limit 2 at US LEGO Shop at Home.  They were limit 5 in December.

DO and Brick Bank are limit 5.

The plot thickens. ...

Most likely explanation is to keep these sets in stock while factories produce a whole range of other sets/new sets. Realistically, lowering the limit affects resellers only, save for perhaps the one in a million guy or gal that NEEDS to buy five PS, PC or PR for gifts.

Or mass retirement of high selling, seemingly profitable sets.

• Like 5

How can people keep buying so many of these things for investments, we had the tumblers, red5, sea cow, live star, and Too before Christmas and a bit after. Then the after Christmas sales. So many large sets are retiring or rumored to be retiring in a short span, This has never happened like this before to my recollection.

2 hours ago, cladner said:

Pet Shop, Palace Cinema and Parisian Restaurant are now all limit 2 at US LEGO Shop at Home.  They were limit 5 in December.

The plot thickens. ...

I do hope the Pet Shop retires soon, it's the first set I stocked up on (well not as much as most here but got more than 1 :) so can't wait to see it retire and some value go up.

1 hour ago, Veegs said:

Most likely explanation is to keep these sets in stock while factories produce a whole range of other sets/new sets. Realistically, lowering the limit affects resellers only, save for perhaps the one in a million guy or gal that NEEDS to buy five PS, PC or PR for gifts.

Or mass retirement of high selling, seemingly profitable sets.

Lego has sold tonnes of modulars, and maybe the executives think that the fever needs to be rekindled once in a while by retiring a set right at 2 yr mark to keep the hoarders on their toes.

8 hours ago, cladner said:

The plot thickens. ...

All the modulars are limit of 1 in EU.

Post-Xmas shortage IMO.

8 hours ago, Armor said:

How can people keep buying so many of these things for investments, we had the tumblers, red5, sea cow, live star, and Too before Christmas and a bit after. Then the after Christmas sales. So many large sets are retiring or rumored to be retiring in a short span, This has never happened like this before to my recollection.

Last year was much crazier. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but we had 11 large/exclusive sets go? The year before that was the calmest - I want to say 3-4 off the top of my head. This year falls somewhere in the middle.

With what has been rumored to be coming plus existing sets, I'd guess about 5-8 exclusives will go in 2016. Those are really the only ones (for me) worth investing in. Many will come around again in 2017.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Veegs said:

Last year was much crazier. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but we had 11 large/exclusive sets go? The year before that was the calmest - I want to say 3-4 off the top of my head. This year falls somewhere in the middle.

With what has been rumored to be coming plus existing sets, I'd guess about 5-8 exclusives will go in 2016. Those are really the only ones (for me) worth investing in. Many will come around again in 2017.

99% ers for me are PS, EV, SC, WTS. Then pick 2 75% ers from FM, T1, SOH and we are always open to a couple of surprises more (Mini, TB, PC or whatever)

9 hours ago, Armor said:

Very few people can stock up multiple sets for all exclusives. Just have to go with what you like and what you think most people living near you will like. Spread the risk and then sit tight.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Armor said:

That's what I normally do. This year seem to be more chaotic than previous years to my recollection. 

My unsolicited advice would be stop reading this thread as it is full of speculation, it's intent, that can become chaotic at times.  Stick to YOUR plan, and try this thread if memebers keep it on topic it is a better source of information:

I think BP members in the USA have been very fortunate this year due to the early and accurate postings of our EU counterparts listing retired sets. Yeah you have to skim thru the junk about stores we don't have, Smyth's, Boggy's and the Hungarian Mud Hut (which is actually a very nice Internet cafe per @inversion) and convert prices from currencies we know and care nothing about like Euros and pounds but this has given us ample time to stock up on many sets from various retailers before they were gone. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Pseudoty said:

I think BP members in the USA have been very fortunate this year due to the early and accurate postings of our EU counterparts listing retired sets. Yeah you have to skim thru the junk about stores we don't have, Smyth's, Boggy's and the Hungarian Mud Hut (which is actually a very nice Internet cafe per @inversion) and convert prices from currencies we know and care nothing about like Euros and pounds but this has given us ample time to stock up on many sets from various retailers before they were gone. 

Very true.  The signs have been excellent.  The hobbit, architecture line, and even the lego movie were all retired in the EU well before they got that tag here.  I know once I saw the lonely mountain retire back in june I knew it was only time before it did so in the states, and gave me adequate time to acquire more than I would have if that would not have happened in the EU first.

• Like 1

I like the prospects of the Ewok Village retiring this year, but it is not really a "display" model like the UC line of star wars models.  I wonder if that will effect it's resale value.  It's not a ship, it's more of a scene and im curious if that will cause it to not rise very high.  Although some of the larger lord of the rings scenes and the Smaug set have gone up pretty good.

Also, I saw the Slave 1 in person last night at the Lego store...man that thing is big and awesome.  Whenever that retires it is going to go up significantly.

25 minutes ago, rlangston77 said:

I like the prospects of the Ewok Village retiring this year, but it is not really a "display" model like the UC line of star wars models.  I wonder if that will effect it's resale value.  It's not a ship, it's more of a scene and im curious if that will cause it to not rise very high.  

Similar thinking here, im skipping on this set most likely...

11 minutes ago, pawel_przybyla said:

The Simpsons House seal code (SAH Europe) 51S5 ordered 3days ago.. last wave?

That would be nice, IMO this will bring a decen profit once it retires, not many people here believe in Simpsons i think and....well, good, don't.              :devil:

We´re only in week 02 of this year and the factory likely had 1 week or so downtime at Xmas so that code is pretty fresh, delivery to warehouse considering. The list of exclusive retirements in Jan-Feb is pretty short too.

Edited by valenciaeric

12 minutes ago, valenciaeric said:

We´re only in week 02 of 2015 and the factory likely had 1 week or so downtime at Xmas so that code is pretty fresh, delivery to warehouse considering. The list of exclusive retirements in Jan-Feb is pretty short too.

Don't you just hate it when it's early in the new year and you keep writing last years date down :lolu:

• Like 1