Retiring Soon - open speculation

1 hour ago, Roy vd M. said:

I can imagine it's great for you US / Canada citizens, to be able to simply peek at European LEGO Shop at Home sites to know what's being retired here already (and which will most probably retire soon in US / Canada). 

yes indeed, but it seems like many ppl here just dont care what europeans are telling them. some US citizens make great use of it and and in other threads you see a bunch of americans discussing about a possible retirement of red5 and tumbler or if they will stay for longer - while being retired in eu already after some months of "retiring soon"..

just believe us;) or check our sah =)

5 minutes ago, rlangston77 said:

What are your guys thoughts on investing in possibly retiring Lego Minecraft sets? Is Lego Minecraft popular among collectors or just the younger audiences?

I know a lot of young kids that like it because it's minecraft. But they don't display very well in my opinion so I don't know of collectors going after them. Plus you have to consider what will happen when minecraft is no long popular....whenever that will happen.

7 minutes ago, steveviscious89 said:

I know a lot of young kids that like it because it's minecraft. But they don't display very well in my opinion so I don't know of collectors going after them. Plus you have to consider what will happen when minecraft is no long popular....whenever that will happen.

Very good points.  I want to invest in the PS but I worry i'll have to sit on it for 11 months till it retires if it retires around the same time as the other sets. 

Thoughts on Ewok Village anyone?  It's not super old but I don't think its an Ultimate Collectors set right? 

6 minutes ago, rlangston77 said:

Very good points.  I want to invest in the PS but I worry i'll have to sit on it for 11 months till it retires if it retires around the same time as the other sets. 

Thoughts on Ewok Village anyone?  It's not super old but I don't think its an Ultimate Collectors set right? 

Can you please take these questions to the appropriate threads that already exist on these sets?

2 hours ago, Roy vd M. said:

I can imagine it's great for you US / Canada citizens, to be able to simply peek at European LEGO Shop at Home sites to know what's being retired here already (and which will most probably retire soon in US / Canada). 

Last year, it was the opposite...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, rlangston77 said:

What are your guys thoughts on investing in possibly retiring Lego Minecraft sets? Is Lego Minecraft popular among collectors or just the younger audiences?

Gave a longer answer yesterday, but the "younger audience" at my house (sample size n=2) are huge minecraft fanatics and just don't care for the Lego minecraft sets. They're much bigger on ninjago, Jurassic world, creator and Star Wars Lego sets. 

13 minutes ago, Deadfraggle said:

Gave a longer answer yesterday, but the "younger audience" at my house (sample size n=2) are huge minecraft fanatics and just don't care for the Lego minecraft sets. They're much bigger on ninjago, Jurassic world, creator and Star Wars Lego sets. 

Let me increase your sample size to n=4. My crowd is totally Minecraft addicted, loved the sight of the sets when they first came out, built them once, never played with them EVER. Chima and Bionicle however always get picked up again and again by my son(9), while my daughter(also 9) is most comfortable playing little plays with her Friends sets. Now ask an investor here - would you pick those themes for an investment just because kids play with them? ;-)

I refuse to buy minecraft sets for my son because I know after he builds them (even oif he finishes them) they will just sit and collect dust. There just seems like there is no playability. I gave my 10 year old niece a cuusoo MC set for her birthday ans she was so stoked a week later I asked her about and she said it was boring lol

They are very boring LEGO sets and they won't hold their value as the Minecraft fad moves past its hayday(1-2 more years if they are lucky).  They've also probably pumped these out by the hundreds of thousands. I believe LEGO made a HUGE mistake by not continuing the Minecraft Micro World series of sets and producing 2-3 more sets each year.  Those were interesting and desk sized that would allow adults to display small scenes on their desks while being unique enough to keep the attention of the 10-16 age group.  They also were cheap enough that most parents could afford one set for birthday or Christmas.  The regular Minecraft sets produced look like something a slight step up from DUPLO blocks and I can't imagine any youth under 12 years old asking his mom to buy him the big Minecraft sets over Star Wars or Super Hero Lego sets.  The largest playerbase of minecraft is the 10-17 age group and they're not going to play with Minecraft DUPLO which run up to $100 and can't even compare to other themes creativity or built quality.

Edited by JRandall

the only minecrafts i bought were the cubes and thats where it ended. they made decent returns as a set-of-four. sold as high as $250 last xmas before fee/ship. as to the newer ones i dont see them as a great investment, though some returns may be expected i dont have faith in them as they were/are widely available everywhere and are not a part of the cuusoo/idea line, or immediate extension.

Edited by jerryherb

What are peoples current thoughts on 10214 Tower Bridge retiring sometime this year? 

It's been available for over 5 years.
It is a massive set at over 4,000 pieces and it is a really nice looking display.

Previously retired landmark sets have risen pretty high in value like the Eiffel Tower - 10181. 

Does anyone know of a typical time of year that these landmarks get retired or is it completely random?  I could see this going up in value pretty good over the first year.  I also think they are releasing Big Ben so maybe they would retire this so as to not have two landmarks out so close to each other in their actual location.