Retiring Soon - open speculation

14 minutes ago, Haay said:

With two older sets (Pet Shop and Palace Cinema) on the nomination to be retired before Parisian Restaurant, I wouldn't be concerned about PR going away first. It's a supply issue, and Lego factories are working to produce new stock again of many sets where stock was depleted around Christmas.

This, and maybe with another production run, a chance to include an updated box design ? (like the PC)

According to 3 different big lego stores in Singapore, the PS, PC and PR are all going to be retired. I just spoke to the same boss who told me that Tumbler was gonna be retired back in Oct. He said the three modulars could no longer be ordered through Lego Singapore and they won't be bringing anymore sets. He also has "outgoing soon" tags pasted on the Helicarrier with no discounts for members allowed. Seems to be very sure it's going to be gone soon. 

He was telling me a lot of people didn't believe him about the Tumbler, but when news broke out in Dec that it was retiring soon, he sold 30 sets at one shot at full retail price (Which is $270 USD here in Singapore).

The main big player in Singapore is Bricksworld (www.bricksworld.com), and they've removed all three product listings from their website sometime last week or before the new year. Store employees said they wouldn't be coming in anymore. Only the DO and Brickbank will. 

I then had another friend who also tried to place a deposit for the PR at this third store, but was told that it had EOLed..

so there you have it, three independent stores in Singapore saying that these modulars are done. I've already hit my targets for all 3. Just wondering if I should buy more helicarriers now! 

1.thumb.jpg.db0df0bf7f4cf6d5d6588c9f3339

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Nawoo said:

According to 3 different big lego stores in Singapore, the PS, PC and PR are all going to be retired. I just spoke to the same boss who told me that Tumbler was gonna be retired back in Oct. He said the three modulars could no longer be ordered through Lego Singapore and they won't be bringing anymore sets. He also has "outgoing soon" tags pasted on the Helicarrier with no discounts for members allowed. Seems to be very sure it's going to be gone soon. 

I then had another friend who also tried to place a deposit for the PR at this third store, but was told that it had EOLed..

One of the things I noticed is that there can be "variants" of a model (like the VW Camper) with one model "retiring" and the other coming into production. I can't figure out what the big differences are... I think with the VW Camper it had to do with the type of windows being used. You can see this with a few models on the LEGO Shop at Home website. Though PS and PC are definitely in danger of being actually retired (PR is probably just wishful thinking), maybe they're doing a small update and thus the first version is "retiring" and a second version will continue to be available?

Here is a link to the listing for the VW Camper on LEGO Shop at Home (France) where you can switch between two version right below the price with one of the versions marked "retired" http://shop.lego.com/en-FR/Volkswagen-T1-Camper-Van-10220

47 minutes ago, lukiepete said:

One of the things I noticed is that there can be "variants" of a model (like the VW Camper) with one model "retiring" and the other coming into production. I can't figure out what the big differences are... I think with the VW Camper it had to do with the type of windows being used. You can see this with a few models on the LEGO Shop at Home website. Though PS and PC are definitely in danger of being actually retired (PR is probably just wishful thinking), maybe they're doing a small update and thus the first version is "retiring" and a second version will continue to be available?

Here is a link to the listing for the VW Camper on LEGO Shop at Home (France) where you can switch between two version right below the price with one of the versions marked "retired" http://shop.lego.com/en-FR/Volkswagen-T1-Camper-Van-10220

Sorry, you're wrong about there being a variation for the VW T1 Camper, where two different version were produced. In the case where you could select two different codes on LEGO Shop at Home it's because the VW T1 Camper not only got a simple box-redesign like Palace Cinema (same box format, different graphics with updated Expert Logo) but because the size of the box for the VW T1 Camper was also changed. That caused the resized & redesigned box to also get another item-code, hence the double item-code selection drop-down menu. 

Example of the Palace Cinema box redesign:

5694d99640f87_PCboxredesign.jpg.e52e0168

(disclaimer: not my photo)

18 minutes ago, Haay said:

Sorry, you're wrong about there being a variation for the VW T1 Camper, where two different version were produced. In the case where you could select two different codes on LEGO Shop at Home it's because the VW T1 Camper not only got a simple box-redesign like Palace Cinema (same box format, different graphics with updated Expert Logo) but because the size of the box for the VW T1 Camper was also changed. That caused the resized & redesigned box to also get another item-code, hence the double item-code selection drop-down menu. 

Example of the Palace Cinema box redesign:

5694d99640f87_PCboxredesign.jpg.e52e0168

(disclaimer: not my photo)

too bad it is not your photo..i was wondering what the model behind PC is :derisive:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nawoo said:

He was telling me a lot of people didn't believe him about the Tumbler, but when news broke out in Dec that it was retiring soon, he sold 30 sets at one shot at full retail price (Which is $270 USD here in Singapore).

The main big player in Singapore is Bricksworld (www.bricksworld.com), and they've removed all three product listings from their website sometime last week or before the new year. Store employees said they wouldn't be coming in anymore. Only the DO and Brickbank will. 

so there you have it, three independent stores in Singapore saying that these modulars are done. I've already hit my targets for all 3. Just wondering if I should buy more helicarriers now! 

1.thumb.jpg.db0df0bf7f4cf6d5d6588c9f3339

Not doubting that PS and PC will be retired next, but time horizon is more likely to be later, than sooner.  I saw some new batches of both with 51S5 (PS) and 49S5 (PC) seals in my local Lego Stores.  I asked the manager, whether these would still be around for the next double VIP point event, since, I was keen to hold off on purchasing these until then and he was fairly confident that they would be, but caveated it by saying I should keep tabs on SAH for any pending 'retiring soon' announcements. 

Edited by LahH001
typo

My only concern with investing in PR, PC, and PS is that it seem to me like the Pet Shop and the Palace Cinema might not be as popular as things like the Fire Brigade and town hall, just from a collectors standpoint.  PR is a fantastic set though and a really fun build.  I would be SHOCKED to see that get retired so quickly.  Most sets seem to have a shelf life of around 12 quarters or 3 years.  The PR set is currently in its 9th quarter or roughly just starting it's 3rd year.  To retire it even by mid year would make it a short lived set, which seems odd for a set so loved that is selling so well.

22 minutes ago, rlangston77 said:

My only concern with investing in PR, PC, and PS is that it seem to me like the Pet Shop and the Palace Cinema might not be as popular as things like the Fire Brigade and town hall, just from a collectors standpoint.  PR is a fantastic set though and a really fun build.  I would be SHOCKED to see that get retired so quickly.  Most sets seem to have a shelf life of around 12 quarters or 3 years.  The PR set is currently in its 9th quarter or roughly just starting it's 3rd year.  To retire it even by mid year would make it a short lived set, which seems odd for a set so loved that is selling so well.

Fully agree. A retirement of PR sounds completely unexpected and also unlogical. But TLG follows their own line and is known to not always follow a logical strategy. :P