Retiring Soon - open speculation

44 minutes ago, valenciaeric said:

Bad news, PS is still in this 2016 catalogue....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ANGlUwO1yI

Its horrible and out of logic - in 3 days we have 5 modulars together - what a cannibalism ! PS, T1, TB are living forever (of course i bought them a lot), but birds less than 1 year and tumbler a little more...horrible

On 12/27/2015 at 7:34 PM, valenciaeric said:

So with Tumbler done in the EU we have 7 exclusives gone this year - par for the course.

My predictions for 2016: EV, SOH, PS, Sandcrawler, Fairground Mixer and Winter Toy Shop. Total 6 plus 1 more left-field that was not possible to predict. No TB or T1 in my list....

Ok I give up - can anyone point me to that post where someone helpfully tallied up the number of exclusive sets retired over the past few years - interested to see how 2015 compares now the year is almost done.

10 minutes ago, Lego_Yoda said:

Ok I give up - can anyone point me to that post where someone helpfully tallied up the number of exclusive sets retired over the past few years - interested to see how 2015 compares now the year is almost done.

I believe it is outdated and no longer valid. Just like the shelf life of the modulars. The logic is gone. As far as we could speak of any logic.

Edited by Ciglione

19 minutes ago, Lego_Yoda said:

That was me and you have to go back a few pages. 7 is average over the last 5 years. Last year we had 11 and the year before only 3. For every Pet Shop we have a Tumbler - no panic.

11 hours ago, valenciaeric said:

Yup, the next mystery to unravel will probably be what happens with Jurassic World theme. Even though it´s now too late for the xmas market, these sets should have good collectibility value if the theme is pulled soon.

I went to my LEGO store today and asked about Jurassic World theme.  He said he believed it "is done."  He yelled for the manager in the back of the store and asked, "What are we expecting for the JW theme?"  The manager did the throat slit motion and yelled, "It's done."  I told him I had called CS and they said ALL sets would be back in February.  To which he replied that they were told they would never receive another.  He said that doesn't mean the line would retire, they just wouldn't be getting any more.  It felt like he was trying to cover CS' butt, but then he said a couple of years ago, there was a mining theme that they didn't get back in stock, but stayed on LEGO Shop at Home for nearly a year.  Just what I heard...

7 minutes ago, Loghamel said:

I went to my LEGO store today and asked about Jurassic World theme.  He said he believed it "is done."  He yelled for the manager in the back of the store and asked, "What are we expecting for the JW theme?"  The manager did the throat slit motion and yelled, "It's done."

Wow, Is that where OJ is working these days?

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Loghamel said:

I went to my LEGO store today and asked about Jurassic World theme.  He said he believed it "is done."  He yelled for the manager in the back of the store and asked, "What are we expecting for the JW theme?"  The manager did the throat slit motion and yelled, "It's done."  I told him I had called CS and they said ALL sets would be back in February.  To which he replied that they were told they would never receive another.  He said that doesn't mean the line would retire, they just wouldn't be getting any more.  It felt like he was trying to cover CS' butt, but then he said a couple of years ago, there was a mining theme that they didn't get back in stock, but stayed on LEGO Shop at Home for nearly a year.  Just what I heard...

i'm seeing a bunch of these in several Walmarts - everything but RE and IR.  forgot to look at the seal codes.  going back later today and will check.  going to snag up more .   i think the supposed February restocking has been happening in dribs and drabs over the last month with Target & amazon having online availabiliy and instore stocking at target and walmart .  we'll see.  i think JW is a pretty safe medium term hold investment - sequel comes out in June 2018.  Most resellers will be flushed out by 2 xmas seasons and seller's market will be in effect. 

5 hours ago, Kit4na said:

What do you guys think of the Joker Steamroller? :-)

in USA, this set was widely available and hoarded at a nationwide 33-50% off clearance event at target last summer.  its a large box, expensive to ship, on the shelf at all major retailer outlets.  that being said, i was watching a LEGO children's cartoon the other day and this set was featured very prominently so there is going to be demand down the road.

BTW - Ecto-1 is now the longest lived non-minecraft CUUSOO/IDEAS set logging in now at 18 months.  Previously this belonged to BTTF delorean which retired at 17 months.........  had been in stock at walmart for the last week but poof.  i might have had a little something to do with that but still.  in USA its down to  TRU, amazon and shop @ home.  have not seen one of these in LEGO store in quite some time.  anyone else spotting these in the wild?

Edited by cladner

1 hour ago, cladner said:

i'm seeing a bunch of these in several Walmarts - everything but RE and IR.  forgot to look at the seal codes.  going back later today and will check.  going to snag up more .   i think the supposed February restocking has been happening in dribs and drabs over the last month with Target & amazon having online availabiliy and instore stocking at target and walmart .  we'll see.  i think JW is a pretty safe medium term hold investment - sequel comes out in June 2018.  Most resellers will be flushed out by 2 xmas seasons and seller's market will be in effect. 

I'm not seeing ANY sets at Walmart with consistency.  Seriously, I went to one of the larger Walmarts around here and there were 4 sets on the shelf.  A 20-some-foot long shelf and there were these 4 sets and the rest was being used to stock other excessive inventory.  As far as JW goes, I haven't seen any of them in any store other than TRU since mid-December.  Tru had been getting the occasional Trex and RR, but those were gone the week of Christmas.

On 11/17/2015 at 1:05 PM, glucapg said:

1 hour ago, cladner said:

in USA, this set was widely available and hoarded at a nationwide 33-50% off clearance event at target last summer.  its a large box, expensive to ship, on the shelf at all major retailer outlets.  that being said, i was watching a LEGO children's cartoon the other day and this set was featured very prominently so there is going to be demand down the road.

BTW - Ecto-1 is now the longest lived non-minecraft CUUSOO/IDEAS set logging in now at 18 months.  Previously this belonged to BTTF delorean which retired at 17 months.........  had been in stock at walmart for the last week but poof.  i might have had a little something to do with that but still.  in USA its down to  TRU, amazon and shop @ home.  have not seen one of these in LEGO store in quite some time.  anyone else spotting these in the wild?

Yes I saw a bunch at my local Lego store. However I hardly step foot in there so who knows if it's widely available. It's also prominently featured in the catalog next to the Ghostbusters HQ. I doubt this set is going anywhere anytime soon because of the hq coming out.

I have not seen any JW sets in my neck of the woods for at least 5-6 months.   All the Walmarts and Targets have been void of these for ever.   I have only found online.   I think these are personally done, and we are seeing the remaining sets trickle in to the major retailers.

13 minutes ago, Loghamel said:

I'm not seeing ANY sets at Walmart with consistency.  Seriously, I went to one of the larger Walmarts around here and there were 4 sets on the shelf.  A 20-some-foot long shelf and there were these 4 sets and the rest was being used to stock other excessive inventory.  As far as JW goes, I haven't seen any of them in any store other than TRU since mid-December.  Tru had been getting the occasional Trex and RR, but those were gone the week of Christmas.

I've been hitting the stores over the holiday season, and JW wasn't around in my area either. I did see RE's back in November, but passed on them.  And I saw one IR at a TRU, but other than that these were not around.  I don't want to beat that drum again, because it gets me in trouble, but I like the manager that made the knife to the throat sign.  Hopefully he's right. 

7 hours ago, Kit4na said:

What do you guys think of the Joker Steamroller? :-)

I bought 4... Then instantly regretted my decision. They are massive and a pain to store. If i can sell them off and get my money back i'll be happy. They may do well but honestly the boxes invoke an irrational hatred in me I can't shake so i'm going to drop them.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, landphieran said:

I bought 4... Then instantly regretted my decision. They are massive and a pain to store. If i can sell them off and get my money back i'll be happy. They may do well but honestly the boxes invoke an irrational hatred in me I can't shake so i'm going to drop them.

hah, same for me. I feel oddly better having disposed of them (and the Milano Spaceships I had). But I am not a comic books sort of bloke so I was not comfortable in my knowledge of the core material, either...

2 hours ago, cladner said:

Had a conversation with a lego employee about the Ecto 1 and the new HQ.  As of yesterday they were sold out of Ecto 1.  But he was adamant they were coming back because of the new HQ.

• Like 1