Retiring Soon - open speculation

Guest TabbyBoy
42 minutes ago, Achilles said:

When Elves was first announced, I thought it would be a slam dunk. My observations are now... They just don't seem to be that popular.

I agree... It's another theme that I don't regret passing on. It seems to have tanked even sooner than FRIENDS did. At least FRIENDS had a good start when I was flipping Dolphin Cruisers for £40+ profit. 5 years from now... "Elves, what's that? Never heard of it!"

As poste elsewhere, 10240 is now C2C in Europe.

Also, the US SAH has marked down all their sold out items and chaged the colour to orange. A number of other sets are also marked down and from past experience, we can deduce that this is a precursor to retirement.

Is there any cool set?

They are behind us with retirements so it is mainly Architecture, CITY and Chima that have already gone here.

In Europe, the  most interesting sets that might just make it to the sale are 42025 cargo plane, Arctic Base Camp, THAT Pirate ship and Imperial Hotel. If they do, it suggests sales levels were pretty low.

Once again, we can see that Super Heroes don´t sell so a number of those will be marked down too.

Edited by valenciaeric

EOL This Year

SSD (Retired Now)

Camper (Estimated July)

R2-D2 (Estimated November)

Death Star (Estimated November)

Simpsons House (Estimated December, as the 25th Anniversary ends in 2015)

Metalbeard's Sea Cow (Estimated November)

Tower Bridge (Estimated very end of 2014)

This is now very funny as this was from June 2014. LOL. 2 outta 7 were right...

• Like 1

We now have convergence of availablity of Architecture sets as Imperial Hotel is C2C in Europe and all the ones marked down in the US are sold out.

42025 cargo plane is also C2C in EU so the only "interesting" retiring soon set left that is still available is my old friend the Tumbler. Looks like they made a lot of them.....

Edited by valenciaeric

9 hours ago, valenciaeric said:

We now have convergence of availablity of Architecture sets as Imperial Hotel is C2C in Europe and all the ones marked down in the US are sold out.

42025 cargo plane is also C2C in EU so the only "interesting" retiring soon set left that is still available is my old friend the Tumbler. Looks like they made a lot of them.....

On the UK site i see Tumbler now C2C when i click on it.  These are falling like flies. Reckon this would have been on a lot of peoples xmas list and when santa didn't deliver it was the rush to LEGO Shop at Home :) .

11 minutes ago, legostudmuffin said:

What do you guys think of the Ewok Village.  It is temporarily out of stock at Lego.com and target is almost sold out.  Also thinking that it is not part of the Lego Disney theme.  

You might get one more go in January. " We're sorry that this set is not available. Please check back in January for product availability. "

On 12/26/2015 at 0:59 AM, valenciaeric said:

They are behind us with retirements so it is mainly Architecture, CITY and Chima that have already gone here.

In Europe, the  most interesting sets that might just make it to the sale are 42025 cargo plane, Arctic Base Camp, THAT Pirate ship and Imperial Hotel. If they do, it suggests sales levels were pretty low.

Once again, we can see that Super Heroes don´t sell so a number of those will be marked down too.

Learned more from this one post than all others.  This summary helps.  Great post.

22 minutes ago, legostudmuffin said:

What do you guys think of the Ewok Village.  It is temporarily out of stock at Lego.com and target is almost sold out.  Also thinking that it is not part of the Lego Disney theme.  

possible flop. No ewoks in new movie. If you didn't get into Lego investing by 2012 you're too late, they're.producing quadruple the sets and keeping them around forever because their profits and production enable it. They are leaving as little on the table as possible. No more hand over fist money to be made. If you dont have at least 10k to set aside for 3 years or more dont waste your time. If you want 3 ewok sets at 250 each, thats 750 before tax. Now u may have to wait 2 years just to make 50 profit on each sell after fees. many sets are now stagnant in price increase, even the most popular, this didn't happen as much with the exclusives before.

15 minutes ago, dcdfan said:

We have to believe either it's going or it's staying & then you have to believe if we are or are not getting the alleged 3, 4 or 5 UCS sets in 2016. Take your pick. I just don't like being unprepared & I believe it'll be gone sometime in 2016...

I don't doubt there will be more Star Wars sets than usual for the next few years. I am sure Lego and Disney will milk the license fee/royalties as much as possible.

8 minutes ago, JRandall said:

possible flop. No ewoks in new movie. If you didn't get into Lego investing by 2012 you're too late, they're.producing quadruple the sets and keeping them around forever because their profits and production enable it. They are leaving as little on the table as possible. No more hand over fist money to be made. If you dont have at least 10k to set aside for 3 years or more dont waste your time. If you want 3 ewok sets at 250 each, thats 750 before tax. Now u may have to wait 2 years just to make 50 profit on each sell after fees. many sets are now stagnant in price increase, even the most popular, this didn't happen as much with the exclusives before.

2 years to get a profit of 50 for EV???

Have a look on the 10240 in the EU market ONE day after it has been discontinued... There are several sold at 250 Euro - this means 30 after fees.

9 minutes ago, tacsniper said:

I don't doubt there will be more Star Wars sets than usual for the next few years. I am sure Lego and Disney will milk the license fee/royalties as much as possible.

At any rate, I think Red 5 & Ewok going would allow for 2 more. Maybe Hoth & DS &/or something else....

Edited by dcdfan

So with Tumbler done in the EU we have 7 exclusives gone this year - par for the course.

My predictions for 2016: EV, SOH, PS, Sandcrawler, Fairground Mixer and Winter Toy Shop. Total 6 plus 1 more left-field that was not possible to predict. No TB or T1 in my list....

Edited by valenciaeric
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, JRandall said:

I think there is some kernel of truth in here, but even being pretty conservative in my projections, I have trouble believing this set only nets a $50 profit by Christmas 2017. As for tying up capital on large sets that are at times seeing expanded runs, I couldn't agree more that most small and even medium-sized investors could probably find much better options.