Retiring Soon - open speculation

19 minutes ago, valenciaeric said:

Birds is also back to red sold out from retired.

@Brenner called them when Birds was suddenly at "Call to check" status from Retired Product, and was told they had a few boxes (returned?) which were quickly sold of course. Unfortunately Brenner was already too late and someone else had already snatched them away.

4 minutes ago, Haay said:

@Brenner called them when Birds was suddenly at "Call to check" status from Retired Product, and was told they had a few boxes (returned?) which were quickly sold of course. Unfortunately Brenner was already too late and someone else had already snatched them away.

I have a gut feeling who might be this snatcher.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, valenciaeric said:

Birds is also back to red sold out from retired.

Is there a precedent for this, retired sets coming back? I mean I always though birds was a extremely early retirement, but now its had the tag for so long this suprises me.

I actually called Lego CS to casually inquire to whether RE was coming back, under the pretense I wanted to buy one for my son. The lady told me it was definitely not coming back. Maybe I should of asked about birds instead.  If RE does come back i'll be gutted.

Edited by TheGallows
spellcheckinnit

10 minutes ago, TheGallows said:

Is there a precedent for this, retired sets coming back? I mean I always though birds was a extremely early retirement, but now its had the tag for so long this suprises me.

I actually called Lego CS to casually inquire to whether RE was coming back, under the pretense I wanted to buy one for my son. The lady told me it was definitely not coming back. Maybe I should of asked about birds instead.  If RE does come back i'll be gutted.

As far as I understand some times they find some left over stock in a hidden cupboard after the set has already gone officially Retired. In order to sell that left over stock it will be put on "Call to check" and as soon as all left over sets are ordered by phone it goes back to Sold out again, and after the last unit is shipped and paid for, it goes back to Retired again.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Haay said:

As far as I understand some times they find some left over stock in a hidden cupboard after the set has already gone officially Retired. In order to sell that left over stock it will be put on "Call to check" and as soon as all left over sets are ordered by phone it goes back to Sold out again, and after the last unit is shipped and paid for, it goes back to Retired again.

Good to know.

There are different types of returns; SAH end consumer within 3 months, official lego shop, small individual shop and large retailers to name the main ones.  We suspect that this is the reason why some sets (large exclusives in particular) don´t get the retired tag immediately on selling out.

What TLG do with these returns is anyone´s guess - maybe some will make it back into the SAH warehouse and the rest get discounted and farmed out to Amazon and the likes. That could explain why Amazon sometimes uncovers EOL sets a few months down the line.

Guest TabbyBoy

Resurrection of sets has been occurring with alarming frequency in the UK and I'm not a bit surprised. I'm not sure if this is offloading returns or another small production run to satisfy backorders and last minute demand. Evidence of resealing and seal codes would be good check.

7 minutes ago, Brian Briggs said:

Is the "retiring soon"-label only now added for US LEGO Shop at Home?

Yes.  But I can't take the credit on finding this one as forum member "Brickolodon" spotted this first in the Tumbler forum a few hours ago.  I just didn't see his post.

Hi, I have been on the Lego website and noticed there is a section showing all the retiring products. Will these products tend to increase in value once they retire or does it usually only occur with certain products? Also are minifigures a good investment??