Retiring Soon - open speculation

6 minutes ago, Vinetu said:

You are right about that Eric, but I am more of a mind with Mauro here. If TLG doesn't do a pirate theme in next three years BB could be gold. There is certain universal appeal with pirate ships.

AFOLS who wanted this ship already have it.

This set is for little Timmy and friends.

• Like 1

They won´t do another pirate theme until the current age band has grown up and the next one comes along (3-5 yrs). I honestly think that pirates is passé for kids these days - unless there is a strong film tie-in theme like POTC.

Of the 3 ships discussed, Arctic Ice breaker should do the best - big, orange, TRU exclusive. I think I will still be able to find the pirate ship in shops well into next year.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, valenciaeric said:

They won´t do another pirate theme until the current age band has grown up and the next one comes along (3-5 yrs). I honestly think that pirates is passé for kids these days - unless there is a strong film tie-in theme like POTC.

Of the 3 ships discussed, Arctic Ice breaker should do the best - big, orange, TRU exclusive. I think I will still be able to find the pirate ship in shops well into next year.

But can you find it for less than 70 euro? Slim chance.

p.s. just ordered one.

Edited by Ciglione

That´s my point, Cig. Arctic Breaker is a Bentley- they don´t do discounts and they only want customers with class. BB is a Citroen in comparison - buy cheap and sell cheap, residuals are awful and they can be found anywhere.

Edited by valenciaeric

6 minutes ago, valenciaeric said:

That´s my point, Cig. Arctic Breaker is a Bentley- they don´t do discounts and they only want customers with class. BB is a Citroen in comparison - buy cheap and sell cheap, residuals are awful and they can be found anywhere.

I am not saying you are wrong. That is why I only ordered one. 

And they did do discounts on Arctic Icebreaker. At least here in Germany. And they are still doing it. Even after retirement.

23 minutes ago, valenciaeric said:

Different for different regions.

Deep sea exploration vessel has been heavily discounted in the UK, it’s in every major store and is one of the few big city sets that that is still in stock and can still be picked up at 30-40% discount, 2 weeks before Christmas.

Ice breaker wasn’t a TRU exclusive here and was available with an easy 40% discount during its life. A good set no doubt, but it will be a while before it goes over retail. 

Brick Bounty had a smaller volume and availability, discounts were around but lower and fewer than others.  

In the UK, Bounty > Ice breaker > Deep sea.  

17 minutes ago, valenciaeric said:

And to think that I had an option of ordering two Icebreakers instead of Destiny Bounties I opted for during the Galeria glitch deal... :banghead:

7 minutes ago, Vinetu said:

And to think that I had an option of ordering two Icebreakers instead of Destiny Bounties I opted for during the Galeria glitch deal... :banghead:

Perhaps if the Pirates theme had been stronger, I´d have more faith in the collectibility element. For me, only the chess set seems worth a look in that theme. I won´t be getting any of those boats for the moment as there are much better places to invest 80-100 euros.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, inversion said:

I would buy some Imperial Hotels. The FLW buildings are doing well recently and I don't think this would be an exception.The sorry Guggenheim I bought less than 2 years ago for €20 is going around €100. Imperial will do nicely in my opinion.

SSSSSHHHHHHHHHHH !!!

• Like 1

Snow Plow call to check. I'm a fan of this set

Pretty short run

Also love this and the service truck. Fairly cheap buy in as well -$20AUD

Perhaps if the Pirates theme had been stronger, I´d have more faith in the collectibility element. For me, only the chess set seems worth a look in that theme. I won´t be getting any of those boats for the moment as there are much better places to invest 80-100 euros.

Chess set also doubles as a great army builder ;)